Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Access Restrictions, information checkpoints, etc.

Access Restrictions, information checkpoints, etc.

BCWF is trying to gather some data on the extent and effect of access restrictions around the province.

We don't just want to know about examples of resident hunters or anglers being denied access, but also examples of people being allowed to access areas that they thought would be closed, but also those who changed their plans, people who were indeed denied access, people who may have gained access but then encountered any problems, leaving, anyone who had vehicles vandalized, and anyone who had interactions (positive, neutral or negative) with any individuals, corporations or First Nations governments, anywhere in the province.

Message me privately or post whatever you're comfortable posting. We aren't looking for anything specific - we just want intel about what occurred regarding access for hunting or angling in 2020. It's not just access restriction info we're looking for. Details about an information checkpoint that involved conversation but did not deny access would qualify, for example. Any info at all is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Access Restrictions, information checkpoints, etc.

It didn't effect me personally but I did overlook Texas Creek this year as a potential early season spot due to the FN closure. I am not sure if that qualifies or if anything came out of that particular closure.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I’ve also asked for more info about the Texas creek closure from the CO’s office and have heard nothing back on weather this is a legitimate closure or not. I was also personally effected when I tried to launch a boat at churn creek into the Fraser and there was a locked gated preventing access, on crown land.
    Last edited by Rymar; 01-06-2021 at 01:52 PM.

One of my moose hunting partners has a leh sheep draw he didn’t go on because the natives locally claimed the entire drainage was closed and it encompassed all his access points.

I’ll get more info and update !

The BCWF should also look into how many years non-Indigenous hunters have accessed these lands now at risk of exclusion.
    Since before the inclusion of B.C. into Canada?

There is a case to be made that non-Indigenous hunters now have legal standing to hunt on all non-Indian Reserve lands, regardless of who's "traditional" territory it was or is.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    One of my moose hunting partners has a leh sheep draw he didn’t go on because the natives locally claimed the entire drainage was closed and it encompassed all his access points.

I’ll get more info and update !
    Now that is VERY INTERESTING Looking forward to more info ! RJ
    RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    The BCWF should also look into how many years non-Indigenous hunters have accessed these lands now at risk of exclusion.
    Since before the inclusion of B.C. into Canada?

There is a case to be made that non-Indigenous hunters now have legal standing to hunt on all non-Indian Reserve lands, regardless of who's "traditional" territory it was or is.
    What would the point of doing that be? I don't understand what the argument that BCWF would make (presumably in court) is. That non-Indigenous people have the right to hunt on non-Indian Act reserve lands (and I'll assume you mean all non-private property in BC) ie, Crown land? How do you see that working?

(There isn't a need to look into how long non-Indigenous hunters have accessed these lands. That started as soon as non-Indigenous people arrived here. I think that is easily demonstrated. Before HBC and Nor'wester's made it to BC there were lots of Europeans on the coast, and all of it is documented).

That said, there is already a standing argument that non-Indigenous citizens of Canada have Magna Carta rights to access Crown land. (I can't make it off the top of my head, but I've seen it sketched out and it's not baseless).

I'm still not clear where you're going with this, though. BCWF has, at most, the ability to fund one or two small lawsuits. Those would have to be restricted to injunctions, I suspect. We just don't have enough funds to go further (unless resident hunters want to start a standalone, segregated, well funded war chest).

Anyway, at this stage we're looking for all aspects of access to traditional lands, whether it was allowed, partially restricted, totally restricted, or only feared that it would be restricted. Kaska Dena, for example, were reportedly going to do what Tahltan did, but in fact did not (you'll recall an Atlin local jumping on here and making that case last fall). Point being, just in the NW of the province we have 2 approaches that were 180 degrees apart from each other (at least as far as we know).

We need to figure out just what the access situation was/is.

This is incredibly important and I really need help form the forum on this. We're 7 months out from sheep, moose and some other seasons season starting. 8 months and just about everything else major opens. We can get organized now or we can wait until the last minute.

Clearly it's better to get organized now.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

I live in Elkford and we are starting to get hammered with more road closures. We have two main trunk roads that travel up to the elk lakes and it is said that this gives us too much km of road in our valley. Therefore they are now shutting down more of the side roads off the main trunk roads. We already have a lot of area closures and these new closures are going to make it harder and harder to recreate. Sadly none of the local user groups were not given a chance to have input until it was too late. It should also be noted that the area was reclaimed in a manner that makes it almost impossible to hike on

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    BCWF is trying to gather some data on the extent and effect of access restrictions around the province.

What exactly will come of this info you/BCWF gather? Not much was done by BCWF concerning G/O LEH quotas, gun restrictions, Govt. G-bear cancellations, etc., etc. . . . . . .
    ​Is this just a 'feel-good' paper shuffle around the round table?

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post

What exactly will come of this info you/BCWF gather? Not much was done by BCWF concerning G/O LEH quotas, gun restrictions, Govt. G-bear cancellations, etc., etc. . . . . . .
    ​Is this just a 'feel-good' paper shuffle around the round table?
    Jesus they get accused of doing nothing and harassed for trying to do something. Why not participate or not and see where it goes. I don't know of another organisation that is looking at this. Why not wait and see what comes out of it before sniping at them?