Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Spring Turkey hunt 2021

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    37

    Spring Turkey hunt 2021

    Planning my first turkey hunt for this upcoming spring. From what I've dug up in forums, we will have to drive at least as far as rock creek. Much of what I've read is people suggesting door knocking until you find a property that will let you on. Given the current covid situation, I don't think many people will be receptive to out-of-towners showing up at their door and so we will stick to public lands.

    Should I go at this like whitetail and set up on public land nearby the private and hope to catch something on the right side of the fence or are there good odds of finding one deeper into the bush?

    So far my plan was to find a powerline/gas line cut and spend the first day or two walking it until we hear or see some action. Then we will have another couple days to sit and try to call one in. Curious what suggestions people would have for me, whether or not I'm on the right track - dont want your spot, just what type of environment I should be looking for.

  2. Site Sponsor

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    PG
    Posts
    61

    Re: Spring Turkey hunt 2021

    Spring time - South aspect with mix of good tree cover, open grass and some brush cover. Look for areas with large-branched roosting trees, don't worry about slope I've found them on 40%+ slope and flat ground and everything between.

    No need to hunt the edge of private unless you know there are turkeys going between private and public. Calling them in is very difficult and finicky. I've had better luck being persistent and putting on kms until I hear or see one. Dawn is when I've found them to be the most active/noisy.

    Goodluck.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Pitt Meadows
    Posts
    362

    Re: Spring Turkey hunt 2021

    If you can, get out before the season opens and scout. Find where there are turkeys in a general area. when season opens, get back to that area and get out well before first light. Use an howl call, see if you can shock gobble a tom. Once the sun comes up, use a crow call. if still no shock gobble, get up and scout to see if you can locate them. Don't go after them or let them see you if you do find them. Watch them and try to watch what tree your target tom flies up into at the end of day to roost. Get back to that spot at 3am and sit and wait. once you hear the first couple birds, let out some light hen clucks and wooo in your tom. a couple decoys don't hurt if you got them. full camo as their eyesight is incredible. No movement, they will see it. Event watch your binos in the sun, reflection will give you away. they are much faster on the ground than you think, if you do spook them. They are tough to hunt but super fun. Locate, setup, call and blast them. Make sure you have a good turkey choke & shot and sight in before hand to ensure you have a good spray of pellets in the kill zone. Watch for ticks, they are out and will get all up in your shit if your not careful. Rock creek is the very edge of their zone. They are there but the further east you go the better your odds get. Good luck!
    CWTF Member
    BCWF Member

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lower mainland
    Posts
    800

    Re: Spring Turkey hunt 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    If you can, get out before the season opens and scout. Find where there are turkeys in a general area. when season opens, get back to that area and get out well before first light. Use an howl call, see if you can shock gobble a tom. Once the sun comes up, use a crow call. if still no shock gobble, get up and scout to see if you can locate them. Don't go after them or let them see you if you do find them. Watch them and try to watch what tree your target tom flies up into at the end of day to roost. Get back to that spot at 3am and sit and wait. once you hear the first couple birds, let out some light hen clucks and wooo in your tom. a couple decoys don't hurt if you got them. full camo as their eyesight is incredible. No movement, they will see it. Event watch your binos in the sun, reflection will give you away. they are much faster on the ground than you think, if you do spook them. They are tough to hunt but super fun. Locate, setup, call and blast them. Make sure you have a good turkey choke & shot and sight in before hand to ensure you have a good spray of pellets in the kill zone. Watch for ticks, they are out and will get all up in your shit if your not careful. Rock creek is the very edge of their zone. They are there but the further east you go the better your odds get. Good luck!
    You can't get better advice than that. Well stated

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    kamloops
    Posts
    3,168

    Re: Spring Turkey hunt 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    If you can, get out before the season opens and scout. Find where there are turkeys in a general area. when season opens, get back to that area and get out well before first light. Use an howl call, see if you can shock gobble a tom. Once the sun comes up, use a crow call. if still no shock gobble, get up and scout to see if you can locate them. Don't go after them or let them see you if you do find them. Watch them and try to watch what tree your target tom flies up into at the end of day to roost. Get back to that spot at 3am and sit and wait. once you hear the first couple birds, let out some light hen clucks and wooo in your tom. a couple decoys don't hurt if you got them. full camo as their eyesight is incredible. No movement, they will see it. Event watch your binos in the sun, reflection will give you away. they are much faster on the ground than you think, if you do spook them. They are tough to hunt but super fun. Locate, setup, call and blast them. Make sure you have a good turkey choke & shot and sight in before hand to ensure you have a good spray of pellets in the kill zone. Watch for ticks, they are out and will get all up in your shit if your not careful. Rock creek is the very edge of their zone. They are there but the further east you go the better your odds get. Good luck!
    I have done approach above..have just walked areas i seen them in past clucking tell i got a gobble have still hunted them like deer. all with good luck..my favorite though is drive east as far is you can for the day tell lunch..stop at pub for lunch have two three beers buy a 6pack of overpriced warm offsale and drive roads along the snow line blarring classics like copperhead road until you see a tom gobbling get out and shoot..lol

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    500

    Re: Spring Turkey hunt 2021

    Best to get out and do a bit of scouting before the season if you can. If not, it usually doesn't take more than a few hours to locate some birds and you're in the game.

    Turkeys are pretty habitual, even after they've been spooked. Figure out their daily routine and you'll have some success. I like to get in well before first light to have a few decoys set up. They will make a difference on a hung-up bird if they're laid out correctly. Afternoon is better than the mornings a lot of days as the hens have gone to the nest and the gobblers are out looking for love. Mornings can be tough if the toms fly down and link up with hens right away. During the evenings, I'm not very aggressive as the birds are making their way to the roost. Once roosted, it's game on the next day. We've killed a lot of birds this way.

    Learn the different types of calls and when to use them and you'll have a ton of fun. I prefer mouth reeds as they're hands free and turkeys will pick up movement easily.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,511

    Re: Spring Turkey hunt 2021

    One thing I’ll add - don’t over call once you get a response. Less is more. The fact he’s gobbling away doesn’t mean he’s coming in - more likely it means he’s staying put waiting for you. In nature the hens go to the toms, not vice versa. You want him to hear you, then get curious and come looking. He knows where you are - EXACTLY where you are. Their sense of location, even from long distance, is incredible.
    Twist and pull.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Langley & Magna Bay
    Posts
    4,489

    Re: Spring Turkey hunt 2021

    Just curious, how do the birds taste? I've heard you don't even try the legs as they are tough as heck, but would the main body be good or are they requiring a lot of spices and basting?
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,511

    Re: Spring Turkey hunt 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Just curious, how do the birds taste? I've heard you don't even try the legs as they are tough as heck, but would the main body be good or are they requiring a lot of spices and basting?
    They are just leaner than farmed birds. Taste is great. I’ve roasted, deep fried, slow cooked, even grilled them - all good but I prefer deep fried. Legs are tough as they spend their entire life running - I just use them for soup after the big meal.
    Twist and pull.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    kamloops
    Posts
    3,168

    Re: Spring Turkey hunt 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    They are just leaner than farmed birds. Taste is great. I’ve roasted, deep fried, slow cooked, even grilled them - all good but I prefer deep fried. Legs are tough as they spend their entire life running - I just use them for soup after the big meal.
    yuo taste was great I marinate the legs than smoke than roast to soften them up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •