Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring Turkey hunt 2021

Re: Spring Turkey hunt 2021

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Just curious, how do the birds taste? I've heard you don't even try the legs as they are tough as heck, but would the main body be good or are they requiring a lot of spices and basting?
    The turkeys I’ve shot have been some of the tastiest game meat I’ve ever had. I have a secret weapon in my wife as she can cook!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Just curious, how do the birds taste? I've heard you don't even try the legs as they are tough as heck, but would the main body be good or are they requiring a lot of spices and basting?
    Meat Eater cookbook has an amazing recipe for a Turkey Pozole that uses all the tough meat other than the breasts. I think wild turkey is some of the best game meat there is. I just wish I didn't have to drive 7hrs to get one Hopefully, the continue to thrive and expand their territory

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    I just wish I didn't have to drive 7hrs to get one
    When I started turkey hunting I lived up north and used to drive 12 hours to get there lol.
    Twist and pull.

I seen there's a turkey season on the island. Has anybody done any hunting over there? Are they similar size compared to the Kootney area?

Quote Originally Posted by walker1985 View Post
    I seen there's a turkey season on the island. Has anybody done any hunting over there? Are they similar size compared to the Kootney area?
    I've looked into it and it seems mostly around the Shawnigan lake area. They are there but there isn't much crown land to hunt them on. Most tend to stay on or close to private land for the most part. They are a hearty species though, so I am sure over time they will expand their range. Best to get out and see if you find any

As far as calls go and the variety used, Can Electronic Calls be used in BC? im thinking of the variety of Coyotes, Crow etc used for shock Gobbling.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    As far as calls go and the variety used, Can Electronic Calls be used in BC? im thinking of the variety of Coyotes, Crow etc used for shock Gobbling.
    It's outlined clearly on page 15 of the regs under "It is Unlawful":

39. To use recorded or electronic calls to huntwildlife except Wolf, Coyote, Cougar, Lynxor bobcat or any bird listed in Schedule C(see “What is Wildlife?” Section).

Pretty easy to just use a hand call whether it be coyote, owl, crow etc. A lot easier than packing around an electronic call to get a shock gobble.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."