Thread: Mystery Ranch Marshall Gun Sling/Carry Setup

Mystery Ranch Marshall Gun Sling/Carry Setup

For those struggling to find a good gun carrying option for your Mystery Ranch Marshall pack, here's what I landed on. Hopefully my time wrestling through options can help you. I've included some backstory of why I went with what I went with. If you're only interested in the solution that I found, feel free to skip down.

Backstory

A couple years back I was deliberating over a new mountain hunting pack. I’d been using a Barney’s Alaska pack for a number of years but was hoping to shift towards something with an internal frame as well as a load sling to keep meat and gear somewhat separate.

After pouring a good chunk of time into researching options, I landed on a Mystery Ranch Marshall pack primarily for a couple reasons. Mystery Ranch had a great reputation with regards to durability and the functionality of the pack rivalled other options (Stone Glacier, Exo, Kuiu, Kifaru, etc). I came across one point of tension, however, which was gun carrying options.

Previously, the Barney’s pack let me hang my gun off my pack frame and strap the sling into my chest strap. This made for quick access when necessary. At this point, I realize some people are happy to carry their rifle in hand. For mountain hunts, however, I’m a big fan of trekking poles, especially when coming out heavy, so getting my rifle out of my hands is a priority. I also recognize that some people are happy with strapping their rifle onto their pack while hiking, however, after a close run-in with a grizz a few years back, I prefer to keep my rifle close at hand. But that’s just me.

So shifting back to the Mystery Ranch pack, I explored quite a few sling options. Here’s a list of some of the main options I looked at and some of the reasons why each didn’t work for my setup.

Other Options
    Mystery Ranch Quick Draw Sling - https://www.mysteryranch.com/quick-draw-rifle-sling
    This sling is nice in the sense that it’s guaranteed to be compatible with the MR pack. From what I read, however, it gets awful reviews. The magnetic strap chest attachment is a nice idea, but the open bracket off the back of the pack, in my opinion, leaves too much room for it to constantly slip off, especially when climbing a mountain. I also wasn’t particularly keen to drop $115 CDN on a gun sling.

Stone Glacier - https://www.stoneglacier.com/product...-release-sling
    The price is right for this sling. At $22 US, the setup is simple and it gets a lot of great reviews. A buddy I hunt with uses this with his Stone Glacier pack and he seems to really like it (Although the shoulder buckle has accidentally come unstrapped a few times on him and his gun has taken a few falls…) For me, the possibility of dropping my gun along with potential compatibility issues for the MR pack deterred me from going this route.

Kifaru Gun Bearerhttps://kifaru.net/store/accessories/gun-bearers/
    This was the front runner for a long time in my search. Randy Newberg runs this rig with his MR setup and seems to swear by it. They offer a universal model that works on most hunting packs. It also comes in at a great price. My primary deterrent from this option was muzzle control. I didn’t love the idea of this rig as it seems to leave the barrel somewhat front facing. Some people may have found this to work really well for them, but in theory, I was hesitant because this rig might leave my rifle pointing at the person in front of me when climbing a steeper inclines.

In addition to these options, I explored a number of lesser known varieties, but in terms of functionality and price, I didn’t find any solo setup that worked particularly well for me. That led me to combine a few items together that seem to have solved the issue. After all the time I spent pouring into finding a solution, I would love to save others the trouble and share what I found. If you’re a MR Marshall owner, here’s where I landed.

Mystery Ranch Marshall Gun Sling/Carry Setup
    The best overall setup I found for a gun sling in terms of functionality and price was the Kuiu Quick Draw Gun Holder. This setup is similar to the Stone Glacier holder, but it is more secure in that it uses a cradle with a clipped buckle that hangs off your waist belt instead of a tension buckle. The barrel threads through a fixed loop on a strap that attaches on the bag behind your shoulder. For more info and videos, check out the Kuiu website (https://www.kuiu.com/global/quick-dr...der/86018.html).

One of the challenges in running this sling with MR packs, is due to the pre-2019 Marshall design. The pre-2019 waist-belts hold together by an open strap that when not load bearing, hangs loosely off the waist-belt. This means when the belt is detached anything (e.g. accessory pockets, bear spray holster, gun sling cradle) attached onto this belt hangs loose (The new MR packs have resolved this issue). This means adding a gun sling onto this belt isn’t very functional.

In order to get around this issue, I found a little company called Rugged Stitching (https://www.facebook.com/RuggedStitching/) out of the States. Adam, the owner, does a whole load of custom pack work. He’s fast, very reasonably priced, and his workmanship is excellent. From my experience, I would highly recommend him. One item that he makes is custom made molle webbing belt sleeves for MR Marshall packs. These slide onto the waist belt and give a secure alternative attachment points compared to the standard MR waist belt option.

Even with the sleeve, however, the Kuiu Quick Draw sling still lacks the proper attachments. I could have zip tied it on, but I wanted to find a more secure and reliable way to attach it to the molle webbing on the sleeve. In order get around this I picked up a pack of Kuiu Venture Hip belt straps (https://www.kuiu.com/venture-hip-bel...ack-acessories). These straps are designed for the Kuiu Venture packs that lack the integrated sling connection points. These worked perfectly in combination with the Rugged Stitching waist belt sleeve to attach the Kuiu Quick Draw sling.

While these items solved the issue of attaching the gun draw cradle, the MR pack lacked specific latch points for attaching the barrel holding portion of the Kuiu Quick draw sling. In order to get around this, I attached this strap overtop of the top existing Marshall side strap and into its latch points.

I ran this combination over this past season and it worked like a charm. I’m sure there are other options out there, but this did the job for me. Unfortunately, I haven’t tried this with other MR models. I am however, unsure if this would work in that the Metcalf and smaller models as they lack the necessary third side strap and its latching points that I used for attaching the barrel holding portion of the Kuiu sling.

If you’re trying to find a gun sling/carrying solution for a Mystery Ranch Marshall Pack this might work for you.

I'll try to attach a few pics below.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mystery Ranch Marshall Gun Sling/Carry Setup

Good info. I have been using the SG setup for a few years now. First on my Kuiu Icon Pro and now on a Exo K3. On both frames I was able to attach the butt holder into a frame strap. Never once had an issue with the rifle falling out over numerous hikes. We are currently setting one up on my friends MR frame.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I tried the mystery ranch quick draw sling on my Marshall. I sent it back to rampart immediately. Just simulating climbing around things in my garage the rifle would constantly fall off of my shoulder.

I ended up buying the gun bearer. I get a little bit worried about the scope beating around ,but it’s super comfy to pack around. My partner hasn’t said anything about walking in front of me going uphill, but I also don’t keep a round in the chamber. He runs the sg setup and he was going to try and jimmy rig his to be more like mine. He can get his rifle off nice and easy, but I have to load it for him or he has to take his bag off to get it back in the holder.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I tried the mystery ranch quick draw sling on my Marshall. I sent it back to rampart immediately. Just simulating climbing around things in my garage the rifle would constantly fall off of my shoulder.

I ended up buying the gun bearer. I get a little bit worried about the scope beating around ,but it’s super comfy to pack around. My partner hasn’t said anything about walking in front of me going uphill, but I also don’t keep a round in the chamber. He runs the sg setup and he was going to try and jimmy rig his to be more like mine. He can get his rifle off nice and easy, but I have to load it for him or he has to take his bag off to get it back in the holder.
    I can run my rifle under my arm pit just like the gun bearer. Simply putting the top strap on my shoulder harness.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Good info. I have been using the SG setup for a few years now. First on my Kuiu Icon Pro and now on a Exo K3. On both frames I was able to attach the butt holder into a frame strap. Never once had an issue with the rifle falling out over numerous hikes. We are currently setting one up on my friends MR frame.
    I was definitely tempted to go with the SG setup. It gets such glowing reviews, so I imagined it worked really well for some. For me, knowing that my buddy'shas come unstrapped a few times was enough to send me looking for alternative options. But I'd love to hear how it works out on your friends MR frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post

Ya, I'm surprised MR hasn't updated that sling yet. From the reviews that I read, that seemed to be one of the major issues a lot of people came across.

In terms of the gun bearer, I was certainly intrigued by the option. How do you find having the barrel running up under your armpit while hiking? Does its positioning bug you at all in terms of getting in your field of view?

It's good to know how others faired with different models on their packs and which other setups work well. For me, the Kuiu/Rugged Stitching combo seemed to kill two birds with one stone. Getting a secure, quick access gun carry setup was the primary, but addressing the MR loose belt was a big one for me. I've really liked my Marshall pack so far, but that belt was a big issue. The addition of the belt sleeve was a big game changer for me. The Kuiu combo ended up fitting the bill once I found the Rugged Stitching sleeves.

Here's a pic of my general gun carrying setup. I'm having a bit of trouble adding additional pics. If you're interested in more details feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to email or text you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7209 2.jpg  

I was worried about the barrel swinging around in my face was going to be an issue too, but it really isn’t. I put my bag on, throw my gun on(by myself) and get going. The only issue I have with the gun bearer is my rifle is rubbing on my waist belt and wearing through some of the stitching. I’m going to have to put a patch on it or something before it damages my belt.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I had my Kuiu frame setup for both options. Rear and forward cary. I used the forward cary method 99% of the time. Super fast to get the rifle out and you can replace it yourself while your pack is still on.
    WSSBC
    CCFR