Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First fly in moose hunt booked

Re: First fly in moose hunt booked

Very intersteing thread sako79, some great information being presented for anyone looking at a fly in hunt (like myself). I am basically looking at replicating what I carry on a backpack hunt, to reduce weight and space on the plane with a couple luxury items of course.

Can anyone tell me if the planes can still fly with a canoe secured to the exterior?
    Last edited by Ron.C; 01-03-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Used to fly a 185 with 12ft boats or 16ft canoe or once even a propane fridge strapped to the pontoons.

Is there anyone in Dease Lake that will hang meat? As far as I know that’s not the case and you will be keeping your meat at camp til extraction day. Highly recommend you bring some citric acid powder and a spray bottle as well as high quality game bags, and lots of them.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

On Fly in hunts weight is everything.
    The further you need to Fly, the higher the Lake/River you need to take off from and obstacle to clear on takeoff, adverse or no wind or to warm the less the Machine can lift. Not to mention Air temperature and Wind ect. Lifting 1200 lbs. on a Beaver (if one is available) is no problem in northern Manitoba but often wishful thinking in BC Alpine country.

Hunters used to drag in big Trailers with everything including the Kitchen Sink should sit down and really think things over. On Fly in its not what you want but what you really need. Forget that "spare" Rifle. If your regular shooting Iron does not have open sights in case the Scope fails, leave that useless piece at home.
    Going in, is usually the easy part with a adequate Lake to get onto step to take off from. Coming out with all that Gear including a wet Wall Tent or two and perhaps a Moose (what you did not bone that Beast out) can cost you another extra trip or two.

What if that Beaver you went in with is for whatever reason no longer available. Is there another Company having a Beaver you can hire or are you now forced to haul all that Gear and stuff out with a 185.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Anybody ever thought of using an ice fishing Hut as your tent on a fly-in. I don't have any experiences but they are quite lightweight and don't take up much room and I would think they would hold up to more extreme weather.

I think we are going to try to build our own tipi tent out of a tarp and then bring an airtight stove and use at our base camp. We will take the Cimarron and titanium wood stove as a backup and if we go for a hike and spend the night up there away from base camp.

What the people say that will run out of space before we hit 1200lbs. Can somebody please enlighten me on the best ways to pack for a flying so we're not scrambling the data we depart

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

First you need to do is deciding from where and too where with what and when you want to Fly in too. Then have fun finding the right Machine (if you can find one) fitting into your Budget. Talk to the Operator (Pilot) and take note of how many Pounds his Machine can lift on the specific Time and Day. Book your time slots or they may be gone by the time you finished diddling around.

Only after all that is settled start figuring out what you need, want and what is non essential.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Sounds like you guys have it pretty well figured out. The more fly in trips you do, the more refined your gear selection becomes. Could always figure out the experience of a group by the gear they had on the dock of the float plane base. When I think back about the gear we took on our first fly in trip in the mid 80's, I shake my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    First you need to do is deciding from where and too where with what and when you want to Fly in too. Then have fun finding the right Machine (if you can find one) fitting into your Budget. Talk to the Operator (Pilot) and take note of how many Pounds his Machine can lift on the specific Time and Day. Book your time slots or they may be gone by the time you finished diddling around.

Only after all that is settled start figuring out what you need, want and what is non essential.

Cheers
    Everything up to your last sentence is done. We are at your last sentence

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    Anybody ever thought of using an ice fishing Hut as your tent on a fly-in. I don't have any experiences but they are quite lightweight and don't take up much room and I would think they would hold up to more extreme weather.
    no fly in hunt trips for me just yet, but I have used my pop up ice huts for camping many times, out of the box they are not waterproof at all....also no bug mesh on doors/windows (for future use, not an issue for your fly in)....also the feet of the legs are not designed for hard use, staking it down on rocky/sandy ground in some high winds will wear out the fabric in those areas pretty quickly (first season of use for me)

if you are interested in that concept, should check out the russian bear tents, some of their smaller tents are in the ballpark weight wise of the pop up ice huts...and will last longer and be more comfortable
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster