Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First fly in moose hunt booked

Re: First fly in moose hunt booked

As per a tent I’ve used an 8-man Cabelas Alaskan Guide geodesic dome with vestibule and the optional aluminum poles (tougher and lighter than the fiberglass). Overkill for 2 people but withstands wind, rain and snow well. Also take a two man backpack tent but you don’t want to pack a moose too far if you have any sense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Chest waders, inflatable with oars and a patch kit x2 or x3
    MB, might want to add a snorkel to that! wink!

Good advice tho, I'd rather float a moose than carry one. I'd throw a life jacket in too, they don't weight much

I'd be inclined to run a tipi tent. That time fo year bugs shouldn't be an issue. You want heat, so I reckon with weight restrictions this would be the way to go. Then you guys can hang out, it suck if you get bad weather and your both stuck in your tents. I would also bring a big F-Off tarp to string up. it'll be wet weather that time of year, if you have a common area to keep stuff dry and a wood stove so you can dry your gear out each night you guys will be styling.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    MB, might want to add a snorkel to that! wink!

Good advice tho, I'd rather float a moose than carry one. I'd throw a life jacket in too, they don't weight much

I wonder if that truck is still on the road LOL

Are you planning on shooting 2 moose and paying for a meat run flight? or are you planning to just have the one flight out with your camp and hopefully 1 boned out moose? if its option 1 and weight going in is not an issue i would be packing differently than if i was keeping weight to a minimum. going light i would want a large tipi tent. but i would get an oversized stove for that time of year. the titanium stove i run in mine burns out in an hour. a larger heavier stove would be nice that time of year. if your going with the intention of a meat flight i would be bringing a outfitter tent and heavy stove. big coolers with steaks, beer, comfy chairs, gas lanterns. For either plan i would be including a boat of some type. packraft, canoe, or at least a crappy inflatable kayak. handy to shuttle meat, cross the lake, or even allow you to fish around the lake while looking for bullwinkle.

Quote Originally Posted by bard View Post
    Are you planning on shooting 2 moose and paying for a meat run flight? or are you planning to just have the one flight out with your camp and hopefully 1 boned out moose? if its option 1 and weight going in is not an issue i would be packing differently than if i was keeping weight to a minimum. going light i would want a large tipi tent. but i would get an oversized stove for that time of year. the titanium stove i run in mine burns out in an hour. a larger heavier stove would be nice that time of year. if your going with the intention of a meat flight i would be bringing a outfitter tent and heavy stove. big coolers with steaks, beer, comfy chairs, gas lanterns. For either plan i would be including a boat of some type. packraft, canoe, or at least a crappy inflatable kayak. handy to shuttle meat, cross the lake, or even allow you to fish around the lake while looking for bullwinkle.
    Yes we're planning for two moose and two Caribou LOL. We are planning to pick up an inflatable raft and take 3.5hp outboard.

For two guys I take an 8 man tipi and stove, mostly backpacking camp gear with a few luxuries to make camp a bit more comfortable. And a 10 foot zodiac with a 2.5hp outboard. This gives you room for a moose and caribou with one flight out.
    I would pack your seekoutside tipi and a light camp, that way if you don't get two moose you don't need to pay the extra expense of a second flight. Also bring in a bunch of firewood so you don't have to cut as much at camp.

A set of scales to weigh all the stuff you want to take!!
    And weigh it don't go by what it says on the box.
    2 moose and 2 cariboo = 1 flight in and 3 out?
    Sounds like a great adventure.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Hmm heavy wall tent..too heavy
    Inflatable boat with oars life jackets..and gas must hAve
    2.5 reliable motor..
    Give contact to flight company..have their contact..so first moose they can do a meat run while out dropping others off.cuts costs.
    Beaver can not bring out 2 large moose boat, motor gear and 2 guys..1200 pounds on the scale.
    Call we can discuss if you wish.
    Good lake choice..
    Cheers
    Steven

For fly ins I have a home made 18 ft tipi and a lite outdoors stove. I find with the optional baffle in the stove I can get about 4ish hours of burn. I save up a bunch of wine boxes throughout the year, fill them with 2x4 cut offs a little birch bark in each one and tape them together into one big box. A box or so spread out each day gets the fire going hot enough to burn the wet local wood.
    I bring a little 3 man zodiac but no motor (yet) and I find the boat takes up the most room in the plane. On that note, I find space to be the more limiting factor than weight on the inbound flight anyway.
    For luxuries I bring a small cot; to me better sleep means better hunting and I pack all my dried meals and a few perishable treats in a large cooler (the second biggest thing in the plane). The cooler can fit quite a lot of meat for the return flight.