Thread: Vortex UHD or Swaro NL?

Vortex UHD or Swaro NL?

I had a pair of Swaro SLC 8x32 for many years and absolutely loved them.

After I lost them I bought a pair of Vortex Razor HD 10x42. The glass is pretty good but if I'm being honest I bought them for the Vortex warranty because I can be pretty hard on gear and the Vortex no-fault no-receipt warranty has saved me a lot of money over the years.

I'm ready to upgrade and am wrestling with the new Vortex UHD (and Vortex warranty) or the Swaro NL. Either one will be 10x42. I've thought pretty serious about dropping back down to 8x32 just for the lightness/form factor but I think I'll stick with the higher magnification.

I looked at both at Cabelas in Abbotsford but it is really hard to judge binoculars in a store.

Has anybody used the Vortex UHD in the field or, even better, compared them to an alpha glass like Swaro or Zeiss?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Vortex UHD or Swaro NL?

Swaro warranty is as good as it gets. Can't say anything about the uhds but the NLs are top of the top, I know where my money would be going.

Swaro is lighter, more compact and the Field of view is substantially better with the Swaro. This will lead to less perceived shake and make it easier to spot game/make out details. Plus they have the forehead attachment which, while I've only tried it in a store, it really did increase the stability.

Rokslide had a review if the UHD vs SLC, and they seemed to have very comparable glass, though different objective sizes. I don't think anyone would say the NL and SLC were comparable.

You know I'm biased and have clearly thrown my hat in with Swaro, but other then price, I just can't see a reason to go with the Vortex. Swaro has been very good with my few requests, even to the point of sending me free parts, when I was trying to buy spares
    Last edited by tdot; 08-21-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Well I had a pair of swarovski EL10x42 That I bought last year and then I made a mistake of looking through a pair of NL 10x42. Well I now have a pair of 10 by 42NLs. The reviews of the vortex are equivalent to that of the SLc's. But most give the edge to the SLCs. The NL are alpha glass I would never Put any vortex product in the alpha glass category

if you have the budget for swarovski, there should be no question which one to go with.

Vortex is great value for the money. but if you have Swarovski money, spend it on Swarovski stuff.

Swaro hands down no contest. Why spend that kind of money on Asian glass

I've had to use my swaro warranty, a bit of a hassle, but was fixed no charges.
    I dropped them on a rock and broke the strap attachment on the barrel of el's.
    When I bought mine, I asked the difference between swaros and zeiss, the lady said if I drop them from a 500' cliff and can retrieve them, swaro will fix or replace them for life.