Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: First fly in moose hunt booked

Re: First fly in moose hunt booked

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    no fly in hunt trips for me just yet, but I have used my pop up ice huts for camping many times, out of the box they are not waterproof at all....also no bug mesh on doors/windows (for future use, not an issue for your fly in)....also the feet of the legs are not designed for hard use, staking it down on rocky/sandy ground in some high winds will wear out the fabric in those areas pretty quickly (first season of use for me)

if you are interested in that concept, should check out the russian bear tents, some of their smaller tents are in the ballpark weight wise of the pop up ice huts...and will last longer and be more comfortable
    Thanks BR - I am Sakos hunting partner and was looking at those.

We're considering building out own Tipi out of a heavy duty tarp, looks fairly easy. I have a liteoutdoors ti stove and might consider a bigger stove for it as well. it will be used along side a Seek outside lightweight tent to give us the option of staying away from base camp for the night.

We were looking at those ice huts but have decided against using, the Russian bear tents look awesome but too expensive as we got some other gear (namely looking at a small inflatable zodiac type boat with a small out board and a satellite communicator.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybe14 View Post
    ...and a satellite communicator.
    check out the Zoleo if it's not on your radar yet, works well and is among the more affordable options
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    Anybody ever thought of using an ice fishing Hut as your tent on a fly-in. I don't have any experiences but they are quite lightweight and don't take up much room and I would think they would hold up to more extreme weather.
    The Insulated Eskimo Brand look pretty Good ! RJ

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Everything up to your last sentence is done. We are at your last sentence
    But, you have not told me if 400 Lbs. Uncle Henry plus his 100 Lbs. German Sheppard is planing to come along ?

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

We used 5 gallon plastic buckets to take stuff in. They have so many uses: water buckets, seats around a fire, they hold 35 beer (not 36), waterproof, semi bear proof and they stack nice and easy just to name a few uses.

We never used one, but saw more than once camp that used 6mil poly for walls between trees and a heavy duty tarp for a roof and a small wood stove and pipe. They said it was warm and comfortable.

We brought in a 20 lbs propane tank and a dual burner boat heater to heat up the tent, dry shit and take the chill off. It was weight we were happy to have. In the early season we didn't bring any heat, just the propane and heater and good quality sleeping bags.

We would load and weight and reload and reweight until we knew how much our stuff weighted and it was all marked down on tape on the totes, buckets, bags and packs. We also planned to bring meat back and again the food safe plastic buckets were worth the weight in gold.

Don't pack fluff, if you think you MIGHT need it, it stays home, pack only what you need and have a plan for everything you bring.

I am in for another fly-in trip in two years and will be watching this post and doing some research on options that are out there.

Good Luck

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    check out the Zoleo if it's not on your radar yet, works well and is among the more affordable options
    This was the one we will probably buy

What size game bags do people recommend we take? We were going to buy moose quarter bags from caribou game bags but on a second though think if we are de bone the meat and likely have to pack we might want deer quarter size bags to fit on our packs and have it sit better while carrying

Out of all the research I did for game bags the best ones for you guys might be the kuiu boned out game bags. Might be more than you want to spend, but probably the best option.
    I have bought and yet to try out the regular laundry bags that I bought off amazon. The size is just right and they seem heavy enough as a material not to tear. Just didn't get a chance to transport 1/4's in there yet.

Just ordered one of these tents for Our trip

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collect...27880993095763

Just ordered one of these tents for Our trip

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collect...27880993095763
    Ley us know what this ends up costing after the costs all come in. I see they are about $500 US to start