Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Inspiration...

Re: Looking for Inspiration...

Speed goat [antelope] from Silver Sage in Alberta.

Kodiak island brown bear hunt would be cool if you can pull a tag.

Try Africahunting.com for some good ideas. I'm 10 years ahead (behind?) at almost 60, that's what I'm working on.

For a cheaper price compared to other species id definitely say antelope would be a cool one to go after.

Caribou is an amazing idea,beautiful beautiful animals.
    Africa has always been my personal dream,and affordable depending on what you would like to hunt. A very good friend of mine has been to South Africa twice and hunted with cruiser safaris. He said they were top notch, accommodating to his wife,she went out with a guide on photo safaris and game watching trips and loved it. For approx $5300 he took a Kudu, 2 wildebeest, and 2 other animals.
    mexico for mulies. Or Alaska for brown bear.
    some states have places where you can hunt antelope and bison. Maybe the Dakotas?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    In a year, I'll turn 50. I think this is the first time a birthday "gets to me", butu I want to treat myself to a nice and memorable hunting trip. Looking for inspiration, likely, my "parameters" will evolve, but so far, I have....
    • I'll be going alone (unless it turns out to be family friendly, but don't want to limit myself by that right now)
    • Exact species is secondary to "the experience"
    • I am reasonably fit and not afraid of hiking/climbing mountains
    • Absolutely willing to go south of the border
    • While I am ok for it to be somewhat expensive, I don't want to spend 10s of thousands on it, either

The "alone" bit appears to be somewhat limiting. Would love to do a caribou hunt up north, but without a friend that seems dangerous(?).

Oh, and lets just assume, for the sake of argument, that Covid is over by the time I go

Thanks for any inspiration
    Treat yourself to that caribou hunt, and do it solo. Being alone way back in the mountains is GREAT! Don't be worried about danger. Plan it right, then play it safe, and you'll be fine. The hunt will probably turn out to be one of your most memorable.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

Cougar hunt on the island with some dogs, that’s one of my bucket list ideas. Probably a antelope hunt in Alberta also. Can’t go wrong with any choice though!
    Member of CCFR

A unique hunt is antelope. I think a guy can do a DIY in Wyoming for pretty reasonable. If you like shooting and screwing around a gopher or prairie dog shoot is a great way to spend a week. Outfitted goose hunt might be a fun time as well that won't break the bank.

I think you would love a caribou hunt. When I shot my caribou the 2 guys carried the meat and I carried the hide and horns out. It was a very long day with the pack out but well worth it. Yes having a partner would help but you could to it.

Or since you have children maybe plan a trip with your wife and kids and go stay at a nice cabin and go hunting and go fishing to. Since you would rather be fishing. That would be a great way to remember your 50th.
    And think your age is just a number.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Thanks all for the ideas... I think what "speaks to me" most are the fly-in caribou and the Haida Gwai deer, will start doing some research into those.