Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scope for Ruger 10/22

Re: Scope for Ruger 10/22

I guess it depends on what you want to get out of the gun. The 10/22 can be very accurate and I know some guys running hem for PRS rimfire competitions it just depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.
    As others suggested ammo would be the easiest thing to try first. I love the Eley Contact in my bolt action but the Force may be better in a semi-auto. A lot of competition guys swear by the CZ ammo but I haven’t had much for a chance to play with it. A more budget friendly but still decent round would be the CCI AR tactical.
    As for scopes there’s a lot of options. Again depends on $ I’ve been liking the Vortex Diamondback. I believe it’s a 4-12 which gets me out to 300 yards decent enough.

From there you really spiral down the hole and can look at setting it in a chassis like an MDT or even a pre-fit barrel from International Barrels. All of that’s going to greatly improve accuracy but again it comes down to what you want out of the gun.

Thank You Ridgehunter !
    Fellas I just had a look at upgrades for the 10/22 WOW ! Lots of things to change it out from a stock rifle.
    Arctic Lake .
    If you have upgraded you 10/22 and would like to share pictures feel free !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Hey Arctic, my lovely wife blessed me with a new charcoal 10/22 for Christmas, the one without barrel band and sights. I’ve been checking online reviews about scopes, stocks, mods and upgrades like crazy. The options are endless.

I have a vortex viper 3-9x40 (non-rimfire) that I’m taking off my ‘06 that I’m going to try. I hear lots of people use regular, non-rimfire scopes on the 10/22 with success.

Cheers!
    Josh
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Semi-auto 22s are hard on scopes,. I guess it's the sharpness of the vibration ?? So purchase a name brand rimfire scope. I forget what I have on mine, i the rifle is same age as yours. I have a replacement scope on it.

A couple of minor mods I have done:

Nylon bolt buffer to replace the metal pin. You can Google this.

Automatic bolt release: https://volquartsen.com/products/158...c-bolt-release Bolt releases by pulling it back.

I have the Nikon rimfire scope on my 10/22's and it is a fine scope that allows parallax adjustment for close distances — as you said, I don't think they are available any more.
    Last edited by 2chodi; 12-30-2020 at 01:16 PM.

You should be able to use any centerfire scope on the rimfire.
    As far as I know they are not any harder on a scope then larger rounds.
    (Obviously air rifles are a different beast and require specific scopes.)
    From what I understand the biggest difference in rimfire scopes is the reticle markings are more aligned to a typical drop of the .22 round.

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    Hey Arctic, my lovely wife blessed me with a new charcoal 10/22 for Christmas, the one without barrel band and sights. I’ve been checking online reviews about scopes, stocks, mods and upgrades like crazy. The options are endless.

I have a vortex viper 3-9x40 (non-rimfire) that I’m taking off my ‘06 that I’m going to try. I hear lots of people use regular, non-rimfire scopes on the 10/22 with success.

Cheers!
    Josh
    Been using a Leupold 2x7 < non rim fire > scope on my Ruger 10/22 for over 30+ years no issues . It shoots 1/2' groups at 50 yard with most .22 ammo if i do my part .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Took my Burris mtach off my AR and put it on my 10-22 and love it on there..
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this but here goes . I have a wood stocked Ruger 10/22 with a Busnell 4X scope on it but I think I would like to replace the4X with variable power scope . When doing some research for scoping a Ruger 10/22
    the Nikon Prostaff 2 Rimfire scope comes up as a good choice but I don’t think they make them anymore . Any thoughts on choices for a scope ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    As much as it pains me to say this... because I shoot Nikon for photography... that Nikon rimfire scope is a giant turd.

I have one on my BRNO 2E (I think it's the 4-12X - not at home so can't check to be sure) and...
    1 - It won't focus at 25 yards or less on higher magnification - not parralax - focus! Nothing is more annoying than wanting 8X or more at 25-50 yards to really dial in the accuracy, and your sight picture is blurry as hell.

2 - On my particular gun the big objective meant I needed high rings - which meant I needed a cheek riser.

3 - Why did I need that cheek riser? Because eye relief and eye box were both crap - if my head isn't just perfect, scope shadow out the arse.

I would suggest the following:
    1 - The 2-7 X33 Leupold people have mentioned, I've used it and it's great.
    2 - An LVPO in the 1-6X range.... again, used these and they are just fun - illuminated red dot if you can afford it.
    3 - I've never used the Vortex Diamondback tactical - but heard good things - with exposed turrets definately not a "truck gun" scope.

Those are all $200+ - if you're looking for something cheap a fixed 4X or 6X weaver has sat on millions of 22's with success.

David

My favorite two choices are a Japanese Weaver 2-7x28 rimfire scope that I have on a CZ455 American Sporter and a Leupold 4.5-14x40 with AO and a Varmint Hunter reticule (focus down to 25 yds) on a Cooper Sporter. I have an old Leupold M8x40 fixed 8X with AO (again, focus down to 25 yds) on a 10-22 Sporter as well. It works well, is clear is heck for a 44 yr old scope but is a bit large for 10-22. The Weaver is a fine .22 scope for hunting and plinking but do not think it is made anymore.