Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Scope for Ruger 10/22

Re: Scope for Ruger 10/22

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    firebird, I went down the rabbit hole on my 10-22. Beautiful wood on the Sporter I bought, but it shot very poorly, didn't reliably repeat and the trigger was horrible. My $500 gun became a $1000 gun with the addition of a Shilen sporter weight barrel and Timney trigger. It reliably functions and shoots great now...but dang it should....and should have out of the Ruger factory. It will be my last and only Ruger. Don't get me started on the last Remington 700 I bought as it was the same story as the Ruger.
    not to hijack the thread but I bought a newer Rem 700 off a friend who needed some cash. I dumped more into it to get to shoot then I paid him. Then got annoyed and sold it again, I can’t stand a bolt that’s not locked closed on safe!

The DuPont Remingtons 700s usually shot pretty well.

Rifle ergonomics take a back seat to looks. safeties should be on the tang where your thumb is and bolt handle should be close to the trigger for that second shot, like the P-17. But is it ugly ! Anyone who has ever shot the P-14/P-17 comment on how naturel it is. The first model of a Ruger bolt action had the safety on the tang. Bill Ruger was an engineer first and a designer second.

my 10/22 variant sports the leupold FX freedom 4-12x40, tri moa scope. The great advantage of the leupold line is the expensive alum snap caps that you can and should also get. Makes for a great grouse gun on the sxs and the alum caps are the best out there, especially after using the butler creek plastic ones. Once you use these scope covers it is very hard to go back to other options. I say variant because it is a full custom 10/22. Ability to shoot the 25 round magazines, yes legally. No this magazine won't fit in the standard 10/22.

I started years ago with a standard 10/22, then upgraded to the magnum research model with carbon barrel, (this one sported a sightron Stac 4-2-x50 scope) Also a dang good scope. Then all broke loose and I decided I needed to make my own take down model. Tacsol receiver (dual guide rods and dual left or right charge handle were the reason for this) and the volquartsen carbon barrel. Then dropped into a milserp stock -so the kids can use the variable stock length, with a kidd trigger. This is the one that sports the VX freedom and will be a keeper for a looooong time.
    Now I have a new leupold scope awaiting the new made in Canada Grey Birch 10/22 variant to sit in their foundation chasis. On order. This one, I will be taking out to a planned 300 yrds, so the scope is a VX freedom CDS 6-18x40. To be able to dial out to range. Of course the alum caps as well and burris signiture z rings all awaiting the rifle.

When you start in the upgrade game, it is hard to call a stop to the fun that you can have. When we go shooting with friends, my take down seems to be the one that gets used the most. Go figure as it is a really fun rifle to shoot. Probably the most difference is the trigger and the barrel for upgrades of what made a difference. We do 50 yrd head shots on the grouse.

that was the first and most annoying thing I found when switching from my main gun (win m70) to my backup (rem 783)...I hated finding my bolt has popped open....I noticed this year when I used it that it tended to get opened when I was shoulder carrying it...I found myself almost distracted checking the bolt all the time when shoulder carrying
    Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    not to hijack the thread but I bought a newer Rem 700 off a friend who needed some cash. I dumped more into it to get to shoot then I paid him. Then got annoyed and sold it again, I can’t stand a bolt that’s not locked closed on safe!