Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scope for Ruger 10/22

Scope for Ruger 10/22

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but here goes . I have a wood stocked Ruger 10/22 with a Busnell 4X scope on it but I think I would like to replace the4X with variable power scope . When doing some research for scoping a Ruger 10/22
    the Nikon Prostaff 2 Rimfire scope comes up as a good choice but I don’t think they make them anymore . Any thoughts on choices for a scope ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Scope for Ruger 10/22

What will you be using the rifle for? This will help determine what may suit.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

BCBRAD Grouse hunting / plinking . I just find 4 X is low .Thank You
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by BCBRAD View Post
    What will you be using the rifle for? This will help determine what may suit.

I looked around for a rimfire scope for a long bit and without making the jump up to scopes with parallax adjustment, and Nikon out if the scope game, your only 2 choices are Leupold Freedom and Vortex Crossfire.

I got a Leupold on sale and really like it but it went on a TX1. Not sure I could justify the expense on a 10/22. They are not inherently accurate. The vortex is nice and goes on sale regularly.

* Let me clarify: scopes that have decent glass and are readily available. There is a huge array of imfire scopes but it is a bit niche for most stores to carry and I wanted to look through it.
    Last edited by Mulehahn; 12-29-2020 at 01:49 PM.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Thank s for the reply ! Would you know what can be done to improve the accuracy of the Ruger or is that just the way it is ? Is this to do with it being a semi auto ? Mine is about 30 years old and mint condition .
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    I looked around for a rimfire scope for a long bit and without making the jump up to scopes with parallax adjustment, and Nikon out if the scope game, your only 2 choices are Leupold Freedom and Vortex Crossfire.

I got a Leupold on sale and really like it but it went on a TX1. Not sure I could justify the expense on a 10/22. They are not inherently accurate. The vortex is nice and goes on sale regularly.

* Let me clarify: scopes that have decent glass and are readily available. There is a huge array of imfire scopes but it is a bit niche for most stores to carry and I wanted to look through it.

I got a really good deal on an Leupold FX2 in 4 power and sent it in to Korth to have the parallax adjusted to 25yds. It's not accurate than the either me or the gun LOL

With really good ammo it will shoot 10 rounds into a nickle at 25yd. Minute of grouse for sure!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Ok, probably not what your thinking, but consider a Bushnell 10x Tactical scope or similar.
    With a 25y zero the bullet will be close to dead on at 45y or so, then after that hits become non existant.
    Dialing a scope may not be your thing, SIL and self were out on th 100m silhouette range, he has 10x Bushnell, self 10x swfa, from the bench 10 shot groups averaged 1.25" at 100m. He dialed 9.2 moa and I 2.7 mils. Lots of fun but range needs to increase .
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

If the scope is as old as the gun I would by the Vortex and be happy, accuracy will improve. But the biggest thing is ammo, especially in a semi auto. Consistency is key so I avoid the "buckets." Yes, they are cheap and go bang but the lead gets deformed in the box and just by shooting a few dozen you will actually feel and hear the difference from shot to shot. Won't make a difference up close probably but once get further out the groups really open up.

My 10/22 shoots the federal blue box 36gr hollow point within minute of grouse head 25 yards and a bit further. Winchester doesn't cycle well. I have an irrational dislike for Remington so don't shoot it. Most find CCI to work pretty consistent. Mine shoots the Browning High Velocity the best and most consistent (if no wind I can do about a full magazine into about an inch at 40 yds on a good day), but it gets terrible reviews online. I just bought a whole bunch it on clearance at a close out sale.

All this being said, I am only a 1moa shooter on a good day; most days it's probably closer to 2. I know it's me cause all my guns have cloverleafed on my best days.

Sorry, got off topic. There is lots you can do to improve a 10/22. The easiest and cheapest with the usual biggest impact is the trigger. But the sky's the limit. Don't think there is a part on them that can't be swapped. Just depends how much you want to spend and what your goal is.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

The leupold rimfire 2-7x33's are what I put on my 22's. Nice and simple.

^^^^^^^^. Thanks to you all of you ! The scope was purchased the same time as the 10/22 . As mentioned the rifle is in mint shape .
    Arctic Lake