Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Moose Dilemma!

Re: Moose Dilemma!

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    Why are they trying to save the two tine moose?
    This is a genetics thing, the area I have hunted for over 30 years has lots of two brow tiners no mater how old the moose is. I have found many very large sheds that are only two bt's. I have a 64" rack that was shot before this two tine nonsense, in the record books as the largest taken in BC in '77, he would never have grew another brow tine had he lived another 10 years!
    I quit hunting that area due to not being able to find 3 tiners, but lately they have brought in the two tines or 10 point overall system. And I still have not been able to find a three tiner in that area but have taken lots with the 10 count.
    Makes no sense to me why they want to save the two tiners.
    It is a regulation used in Alaska to allow hunters to still hunt and not go to a draw; BC incorporated it at first as a 2/3 rule and the bulls we used to let walk because of the 2 point brows drove us nuts; Big bulls. But we still killed moose. Then they brought in the 10 point to allow more success.

It has nothing to do with genetics as half a calf moose's genes comes from the cow and there is no cow season up here for licensed hunters. Genetics are not a worry. We see lots of younger bulls every year (5x5 to 9x9) and a few legal ones to keep things interesting and fun! The old days of moose hunting are long gone and we have to accept the 2/3/10 rule for the Peace.

With the wolf control working, the moose are stable.

But sadly, rumor has it that a certain group is pushing for more areas to be closed for the rut, no more early season and going to LEH. Less areas to hunt, going to draw and closing areas from Oct 1-15 for rifle will result in no benefit to resident hunters of BC or moose.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Well said Sitka

Never hunted mature moose in an area that you had to be so diligent with counting points . I would hate to make a mistake . As it is I lost an animal once and that was bad enough ,felt sick about it !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I'll buy beef, I'd let the moose in the video walk! moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by Everett View Post
    That bull is legal as long as you don't go through a roadblock on the way home.
    Well wouldn't that be fun, not so sure about that either,

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    As I have said before, I like the regulation if we have to have one. Much better than LEH. I get to hunt every year.

Hunters who shoot first and look later are not hunters, they are poachers.

As others have said, this is no different than sheep, deer, elk or measuring fish. Hunters have to make sure before shooting, pretty simple.

How about this one....Would YOU shoot? Legal?

I have a bunch more

Cheers

SS
    This bull was legal by 1 cm.....1 little CM.....way too close to count. Very lucky hunter!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Pretty sure it's legal based on the bay depth but you'd need some serious stones to take that shot. That's why I married an Indian.

Quote Originally Posted by stogs View Post
    Pretty sure it's legal based on the bay depth but you'd need some serious stones to take that shot. That's why I married an Indian.
    so he can do all the hunting for you while you sit at home and kick your feet up?

It's all to do with genetics if a cow isn't mated with a bull that dose not throw a three tine or more antler and she only mates with two tiners well guess what she is only gonna have two tiners.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    so he can do all the hunting for you while you sit at home and kick your feet up?
    The Indian is my wife and she's a hell of a shot. Find one to pack in your beer and pack put your deer and you'll never have to ask to go hunting again.