Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Moose Dilemma!

Re: Moose Dilemma!

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    This Thread is probably part of the 10 best Treads ever on Hunting BC thank you !

Measly 28 reply's in 3 Days tell the real Story, which is most Hunters here would not have been sure one way or another.

What that really means is this regulation Stinks and is entirely the fault of the F&W Managers letting it stand.

Have they ever done a study of how many Moose get shot and left to rot because of poorly thought out regulations.
    Funny, Fish get tagged with invisible radio Transmitters why not do this with Moose in heavily hunted areas. Once the transmitter tells the Computer the Animal is dead, send someone out immediately to location to see if the Hunter made a legal kill or not or worse left the Moose to rot.

Cheers
    I totally get your point however this one is a pretty easy call in my book. If its too close to call then walk away.

Can't really blame the regulation here. It's the hunters responsibility to identify legal game. Take sheep hunting for example. Would you risk shooting a 7 year old ram if you couldn't clearly get that last ring? Or maybe he just barely breaks the nose? Worth the risk?

Or try 4 point mule deer season. What if you are on a small crab claw buck and you aren't sure if the 4th point is over an inch. Do you risk it?

I do agree with you that it is an absolute shame when any game is left in the woods to rot due to terrible judgement. But I am not sure if a regulation change is the answer. Maybe further hunter education is?

It is a conversation worth having. How do we try and limit such mistakes?
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    What that really means is this regulation Stinks and is entirely the fault of the F&W Managers letting it stand.

Have they ever done a study of how many Moose get shot and left to rot because of poorly thought out regulations.
    Funny, Fish get tagged with invisible radio Transmitters why not do this with Moose in heavily hunted areas.
    Once the transmitter tells the Computer the Animal is dead, send someone out immediately to location to see if the Hunter made a legal kill or not . . .
    ​It still is up to the hunter to make a judgement call on the legality of the game animal. The horn restriction does work . . . you just have to do your part.

As I have said before, I like the regulation if we have to have one. Much better than LEH. I get to hunt every year.

Hunters who shoot first and look later are not hunters, they are poachers.

As others have said, this is no different than sheep, deer, elk or measuring fish. Hunters have to make sure before shooting, pretty simple.

How about this one....Would YOU shoot? Legal?

I have a bunch more

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

i couldnt shoot the one in the video or the one sitkaspruce posted under those regs..

Yeah I wouldn't shoot that one either.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    As I have said before, I like the regulation if we have to have one. Much better than LEH. I get to hunt every year.

Hunters who shoot first and look later are not hunters, they are poachers.

As others have said, this is no different than sheep, deer, elk or measuring fish. Hunters have to make sure before shooting, pretty simple.

How about this one....Would YOU shoot? Legal?

I have a bunch more

Cheers

SS
    Moose - Tripalm Bull - means a bull moose having at least one antler with a brow palm bearing three or more points (tines).The brow palm is separated from the main palm by the deepest antler bay.The deepest bay is the bay whose vertex (deepest location) is the shortest distance from the antler base, when measured along the surface of the antler.

This bull meets the requirements of the regulation. Being able to see it well enough to verify it’s legality is the question. In a tree stand or any ground height advantage, verification would be easier, but a straight on look at distance or heavy cover would be tough. I’ve let many walk away as I just wasn’t sure. Good example SS.
    Last edited by Ride Red; 12-31-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

In the example SS provided, the shortest distance to the base of the antler could be the bay between the first and 2nd tine. Too close to call by my eye, it would need to be taped.

Why are they trying to save the two tine moose?
    This is a genetics thing, the area I have hunted for over 30 years has lots of two brow tiners no mater how old the moose is. I have found many very large sheds that are only two bt's. I have a 64" rack that was shot before this two tine nonsense, in the record books as the largest taken in BC in '77, he would never have grew another brow tine had he lived another 10 years!
    I quit hunting that area due to not being able to find 3 tiners, but lately they have brought in the two tines or 10 point overall system. And I still have not been able to find a three tiner in that area but have taken lots with the 10 count.
    Makes no sense to me why they want to save the two tiners.

Arrow Re: Moose Dilemma!

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    ... Makes no sense to me why they want to save the two tiners.
    They don't. Nor do they want to "save" 9 all round moose.
    It is simply a method to delay shooting (as most struggle to get an accurate count) by ethical hunters until the moose can escape. Of course with those not so ethical, poachers and FN's, the point is moot (pun intended).

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I stoped at a hunting camp with antlers onnthe ground to show my boys what a ‘legal immature’ antler was...except when I got right up to it,it wasn’t...a small ‘point’ that I could not see from 25 ‘ away made it illegal...fortionaltly the hunter had a LEH ‘any bull tag’ but he thought it was a ‘legal immature’ when he shot it ...would have made me sick if I had shot that bull