Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got the itch

Re: Got the itch

Well yesterday was Jan 1,2021 and I started my training for 2022. I am having issues trying to find alot of the sheep books that were mentioned in other threads does anyone know where the best place to find some of the local sheep books. In the coming weeks the search for some new hunting boots starts as in trying some on my question is I have wide feet what brands should I try first and what brands should I not waste my time with.

Thanks again for all the responses so far.

Google worked for most of the books I have purchased, specifically Amazon and Ebay, but there are a couple of online bookstores as well as the Boone and Crockett website that have decent selections.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    Well yesterday was Jan 1,2021 and I started my training for 2022. I am having issues trying to find alot of the sheep books that were mentioned in other threads does anyone know where the best place to find some of the local sheep books. In the coming weeks the search for some new hunting boots starts as in trying some on my question is I have wide feet what brands should I try first and what brands should I not waste my time with.

Try ABE books. Sheep books tend to be on the pricey side, especially some of the rarer copies so be prepared to pay up. I was able to find most of what I was looking for a couple years ago for less than $50 per book. ABE is a great resource for older/hard to find books.

I’m not a sheep hunter, but I am a reformed mountaineer and ice climber. I’ve spent a ton of time at higher altitudes in weather from summer to mid January. You want a GOOD mountain tent, sleeping bag and decent goretex gear. For boots, anything good for light to moderate mountaineering will serve you for all types of hunting. Scarpa is one brand I recall fitting wider feet. La Sportiva makes amazing boots, but typically run narrower.

I might need to take up sheep hunting to lose the stubborn 15 lbs I need to ditch...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Step 1... Join the Wild Sheep Society of BC

Step 2... Pick up some sheep hunting books(some great threads on that here)

Step 3... Get good optics, if you have the budget to get top quality stuff, do it. ALSO learn how to use them, most people don't understand what that means

Step 4... Learn to understand what the legality requirements of all separate species/areas in BC are, you can never look over to many sheep to understand what is legal

Step 5... Learn to be patient as ****, the sheep hunting game is not an easy one and there will be many of moments in which you question why you're doing it

Killing a bighorn GOS in BC is commonly said to be tougher than killing a thinhorn GOS but I'm far from an expert

PS. DONT SKIP STEP ONE; if you can afford a $65 sheep tag, you can afford a $50 membership(atleast)

PSS. Jack O'Connor once said "There is no halfway. After his first exposure a man is either a sheep hunter or he isn't. He either falls under the spell of sheep hunting or he won't be caught dead on another sheep mountain" This quote is true for so many reasons

PSSS. Theres another old saying in the sheep hunting community that goes something like "Your first ram is born the year you start sheep hunting" although not 100% accurate, it does say alot... especially when the average age of rams being taken is probably in that 7-8 year old realm if I had to guess
    How does being a member help one's hunting?

Stones seem far easier than GOS big horns.

Most beginners who are successful early have been fortunate/smart enough to make friends with a more accomplished sheep hunter and get mentorship advice, including pointers on where to head into.

My advice would be make more friends with sheep hunters first

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    How does being a member help one's hunting?
    It is more about supporting an organization that dedicates their entire being to wild sheep conservation in BC among other ventures. As well as networking with countless individuals who are successful sheep hunters and biologists.

Obviously it is not required to be successful by any means but it can be a good place to start.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    It is more about supporting an organization that dedicates their entire being to wild sheep conservation in BC among other ventures. As well as networking with countless individuals who are successful sheep hunters and biologists.

Obviously it is not required to be successful by any means but it can be a good place to start.
    Bingo!

Not to mention, I feel that if you intend to hunt/harvest a sheep, you should be doing something to support the conservation of the species. To many people just want to take and never feel the need to maybe give a bit back.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post

Yeah, ok, so basically what I covered in ny second post. Which makes sense. If you surround yourself with successful hunters, you're bound to pick up some good tips.

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post

Try looking for books that are still in print there a lot cheaper and you can usually find them easier. Mountain Sheep and Man by Valerius Geist is a good one that is still in print. I also recommend getting Dream Rams of BC its on the pricier side but well worth it imo.