Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Got the itch

Re: Got the itch

I wouldn't wait until 2022 to start sheep hunting - you never know what life might throw at you.

Porthunter has given you a good start with some excellent advice. I agree 100% with his post, especially that you shouldn't skip #1. My experience is that finding a legal bighorn is way tougher than finding a legal Stone's ram. If you have the time and skills for a northern BC hunt, I would highly recommend that route. The country up there is spectacular.

For sheep hunting books, I suggest starting with Wilf Klingsat's book, Mountain Sheep Hunting in British Columbia. You can get it on Amazon for $55.

For boots, I am currently running Crispi's, which I love. Other good brands include Meindl, Kenetreck, Hanwag.

Good luck!

The beast the colour of winter is a good book that I read at the end of last year (last month lol) was good and informative.
    Member of CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    How does being a member help one's hunting?
    Because old sheep hunters are more likely to help you out if you are at the sheep count or at the annual fundraiser then sending info via the internet.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    Because old sheep hunters are more likely to help you out if you are at the sheep count or at the annual fundraiser then sending info via the internet.

BHB
    Yes, I covered that in my second post .... wanted to hear his answer.

Yes, I covered that in my second post .... wanted to hear his answer.
    Still waiting for my answer or have the posts before answered that? Like I said, if you want to hunt sheep, I think spending $50 a year towards an organization doing more for them in the province than anyone else is a good start.

And also, just like everyones noted above, there's alot of knowledgeable people involved with WSSBC that would probably be more willing to spread knowledge to those who show like minded views, atleast that's been my experience.

Cheers!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Bingo!

Not to mention, I feel that if you intend to hunt/harvest a sheep, you should be doing something to support the conservation of the species. To many people just want to take and never feel the need to maybe give a bit back.
    I think that is a good start but I believe hunting predators would also be a good place to start if you want to help the populations of animals

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    I think that is a good start but I believe hunting predators would also be a good place to start if you want to help the populations of animals
    For almost all ungulates I'd agree with you with the exception of sheep. While yes, cats do target sheep in the southern part of the province, I truly do believe(and history has shown) that the biggest threat to wild sheep, is disease.

So supporting organizations like WSSBC or WSF who are working hard on diseases(aswell as helping with predator management) is the biggest help IMO
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Sheep/goat hunting is an amazing adventure. Definitely worth the effort.

I presume, as we're all hunters here, we're all capable of being in the bush and know to carry proper bush craft equipment, like an old fashioned compass and map.

If I still lived in the lower mainland and really wanted to know whether sheep hunting was for me I'd go on a few multi day alpine hikes. Ie. Mt Joffre and Mt Matier are both easily accessible from the lower mainland. Each mountain has a certain amount of technical ability though both can be done by scrambling. If your closer to Chilliwack try Mt Rexford.

Much of the skills required to traverse through the Northern Rockies and Purcell ranges can be gained from right where you live. You can test your gear, learn what works and doesn't, get in fantastic shape, break in your equipment but not your bank.

On the other hand if you decide your not much for tenting or indeterminant weather you haven't lost much.

I am very grateful for my alpine experiences when it comes to sheep and goats in B.C. Much of my ability to route find, interpret the mountains and anticipate the weather around me can be contributed to the lower mainland mountains.

AA

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

How does being a member help one's hunting?
    Most WSS of BC members are crazy dedicated sheep hunters more so than any hunters Ive met, very similar to you and your alpine Mule Deer addiction, meeting and talking to a lot of successful Sheep hunters doesn't hurt, ie-areas to go and gear to use, could save you a lot of grief and time wasted, not to say you have to be a member but it doesn't hurt to support the Wild Sheep of BC instead of just taking these people put something back into the preservation of Wild Sheep in BC....and the best part they do this without financial gain....its totally non profit.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 01-04-2021 at 04:48 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

im on the same path, ive killed 3 goats...and helped with half a dozen more. My focus this year is a Ram. I want to lose 38lbs, and exercise daily burning 60,000 calories from Dec 3 til Sept 10th