Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Got the itch

Re: Got the itch

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    "One thing for sure is humans are the biggest cause for death /decline of things."

Need some context there. If 'humans' means hunters, this is wrong.
    If 'humans' means highways, rail lines, habitat destruction, pollution, then 100% right
    Humans mean humans , but hunters/trappers can have a serious effect on certain animals.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Dont need any scientific research to know if a cat is in a predominantly sheep area the odds it will kill sheep same if in a predominantly mule deer area odds are it will kill mule deer.
    Best way to see what goes on is get out there and see and learn. Cant rely on books or papers people are changing there minds every time they do another study, which comes with
    the changing enviroment. One thing for sure is humans are the biggest cause for death /decline of things.
    More biased drivel.

First you claim there is no research proving that cougars will specialize to kill sheep, the you wobble to the opinion that this research is flawed.

There is plenty of research where individual cougars have specialized on killing sheep, even where deer are predominant.
    This trait is not limited to sheep. Mature toms have often been confirmed to specialize in killing horses, despite there being a predominance of deer or elk in the area.
    I've helped with killing these horse killers. These cats are not focused on hunting foals or yearlings, they will, but they seem to prefer full size horses 4-8 years old. Impressive.

Those that are "on the ground", hunters, trappers, ranchers, are often the ones alerting the researchers to the problem.

There are many instances of extremely well observed sheep herds where the vast majority of mortality is caused by cougar predation, often by just a single cat.
    Fortunately for the sheep, a human has often noticed this happening and the cat is eliminated, saving the herd from extirpation.

Well put Walkingbuffalo

UPDATE
    Training is going well my cardio workout has been extended and my weight program has seen me increase the weight i am lifting.

My new Question is What are people using for pants on a mid to late Aug sheep hunt up north?
    I see Sitka is pretty popular but was wondering who uses non hunting brands for mountain hunts (figure might get more band for my buck if isn't camo)

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    More biased drivel.

First you claim there is no research proving that cougars will specialize to kill sheep, the you wobble to the opinion that this research is flawed.

There is plenty of research where individual cougars have specialized on killing sheep, even where deer are predominant.
    This trait is not limited to sheep. Mature toms have often been confirmed to specialize in killing horses, despite there being a predominance of deer or elk in the area.
    I've helped with killing these horse killers. These cats are not focused on hunting foals or yearlings, they will, but they seem to prefer full size horses 4-8 years old. Impressive.

Those that are "on the ground", hunters, trappers, ranchers, are often the ones alerting the researchers to the problem.

There are many instances of extremely well observed sheep herds where the vast majority of mortality is caused by cougar predation, often by just a single cat.
    Fortunately for the sheep, a human has often noticed this happening and the cat is eliminated, saving the herd from extirpation.
    Sure studys can be flawed just like your comments can be flawed or made up, not sure where I made a claim that there is no research but you can make up what ever you like.
    Have to chuckle at your words of biased and the term those that are on the ground. Ranchers so many of them dislike anything with teeth/fangs and paws/claws so there pretty
    biased on there views on them same as many hunters they dont like the competition think ungulates are there for them to kill not for cats to feed on. And trappers you mean the ones
    that are out there once a week to check there lines.
    Funny how so pro science you are here but in the thin horn thread it almost sounds like you dont like it or maybe you only agree with what benifits you.

Forgot to ask about the horses wild or livestock.
    Last edited by LBM; 01-31-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    UPDATE
    Training is going well my cardio workout has been extended and my weight program has seen me increase the weight i am lifting.

My new Question is What are people using for pants on a mid to late Aug sheep hunt up north?
    I see Sitka is pretty popular but was wondering who uses non hunting brands for mountain hunts (figure might get more band for my buck if isn't camo)
    I prefer solid colors over camo check out hiking web sites/stores doesnt have to be sitka or kuiu.

OK I need to upgrade some of my gear for mountain hunting. I am in the market for some decent rain gear that wont break the bank( if that exists ) seems like paying 700 to 1000$ is going rate seems pricey anyone have any brands that will leave some money in my wallet for other gear i would like to buy.

OK I need to upgrade some of my gear for mountain hunting. I am in the market for some decent rain gear that wont break the bank( if that exists ) seems like paying 700 to 1000$ is going rate seems pricey anyone have any brands that will leave some money in my wallet for other gear i would like to buy.
    What are your expectations from your rain gear? Do you expect to be hiking in it or just something to keep you dry around camp?
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Best time to buy any clothing is in the off season will save you some money.

FaceBoko is a good one for finding used gear at good prices. Kuiu buy and sell canada is a pretty good one, and they do have their rain gear pretty dialed in.