Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What size shot for 20 gauge for decoying mallards?

Re: What size shot for 20 gauge for decoying mallards?

Went out this morning and got a chance to throw some Federal Speed Shok 3 inch 7/8oz 1550fps #2's at a couple mallards. I have to say I was a bit skeptical about hitting anything with these little shells but they did the job quite well.

The drake was skirting the decoys in the 30-35 yard, I think I missed on the first shot, and connected on the second. Pellet in the neck, broke a wing, pellet center top back and on through the side of his buttocks. The hen was flying right to left when I intercepted her at 20 yards. Two pellets to the neck one to the chest and broke the closest wing in the process.

My go to for ducks pretty much since Canada switched to steel shot has been #3's so I think I'm going to try and find some 20 gauge 3 inch 7/8oz 1550fps #3's.

Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Ive been using 20g #2's for decoyed ducks(with a modified choke) and do much better than with my 12g with a full choke.

Whatever works in 12ga will work with 20 also if speed remains the same.
    I used a lot of 4’s this year at 1560fps with my 12ga. and they were awesome. Lorne’s reply above was positive for 4’s in 20ga at about the same speed as I shoot so they are worth patterning and trying. Foxton’s reply is what I shot for years in 12ga until I switched to 4’s last season. I use an Light Modified choke with 4’s, IC for 2’s and BB like Foxton recommended.
    I’m on 2’s now mainly because I ran out of 4’s and have lots of 2’s.
    I would go 3” if your gun is chambered for them. Pattern the different loads as was suggested. With fewer pellets per 20ga shell (in any shot size compared to 12ga) it’s important to know if you have a good pattern!
    Last edited by Dano; 01-21-2021 at 11:04 PM.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

I have to say I am impressed with the Kent fasteel 2.0 Dano.They worked like nothing I have had before in the patternmaster choke 20g I shoot with #2 shot in 3".Have hit a few that I would have hesitated even with my 12 but that shell really does work. Shooting a 20g I don't think imho I would use anything else on ducks.