Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size shot for 20 gauge for decoying mallards?

What size shot for 20 gauge for decoying mallards?

Soooo in the past year or more I've been getting pain running down my right shoulder and neck. Had x-rays done and now diagnosed with Degenerate Disk Disease (Cartilage disks between vertebrae dissolving or non existent) in neck pinching the nerves that are running down to my shoulders and arms.

That being said, I'm starting a new chessie pup who will want to hunt like crazy come next fall and I want to be able to shoulder something that isn't going to cause a big degree of discomfort for ducks.

I have some blindside #5's that are good for teal but would feel a little inadequate for bigger ducks. I shoot #3's out of the 12 gauge for ducks and love the way they work on ducks but not sure how 1 oz #3's would patter out of the 20 gauge.

Looking for a load that will handle mallard size ducks within 30 yard range. Has anyone tested any loads on paper? What choke etc?

Your thoughts and recommendations please.

Thanks,

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What size shot for 20 gauge for decoying mallards?

Have you tried a different 12 ga.? Like a Beretta A-400 with kickoff? Myself I think if I was to hunt ducks with my 20 ga. I would try 3in. mag. #1's or BB's for mallards with a mod. choke, late season ducks can be tough to kill.

I would pattern a few different 3” #3’s and go from there. A 20 gauge is very effective over decoys. K

I shoot 2s for ducks and BBs for geese IC over deeks and Mod for pass shooting SA08 20 ga, 26" barrel.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Have you tried a different 12 ga.? Like a Beretta A-400 with kickoff? Myself I think if I was to hunt ducks with my 20 ga. I would try 3in. mag. #1's or BB's for mallards with a mod. choke, late season ducks can be tough to kill.
    I do have a gas operated 12 gauge that I use for geese and ducks looking for something a little lighter to swing from a layout boat or blind for that matter. Thanks for the input .

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    I would pattern a few different 3” #3’s and go from there. A 20 gauge is very effective over decoys. K
    Seems everyone is out of number 3’s on the island. I did manage to find a box of #2’s locally. I will have to place an order through one of our sponsors and do some testing on paper to see what patterns the best.

BCWF

20 ga Beretta A400 with Kickoff recoil reduction system in the stock. Perfect as they are light and soft shooting.

I shoot #4 out of my 20 all day and kill em just fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

What speed you talking about Lorne? What brand of shells?

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    I shoot #4 out of my 20 all day and kill em just fine

This......^^^^^^

Number 4 is ideal for decoying ducks. There is very little difference between 12 ga. and 20 ga. in terms of killing power. The major difference is fewer pellets in the 20 ga. so accuracy (being a good shot) is the key. With steel shot the faster FPS the better.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"