Thread: snowshare hare in 3-26/around Monte Lake?

snowshare hare in 3-26/around Monte Lake?

I'm heading on a fishing trip to Pillar Lake near Monte but I'd like to hunt some snowshoe hare if they're out there. I'm thinking of hunting with snowshoes on towards Mount Martin, in the opposite direction of the pillar. I've never been in the area so I don't know if there's anything there. Has anyone ever seen any hares in this area before?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: snowshare hare in 3-26/around Monte Lake?

Should be plenty.....seems like they are everywhere.

will be really icy.. not many hare in that area but you could find a pocket.

Be vewy cautious awound Monte Lake when hunting for Hares. Tricky rascals and very aggressive. Most people don't know this but the Monte Hares have adapted to climbing trees and will spring down on hunters leaving nasty scratches on their cheeks.

Best to support your local farmers and eat chicken. Taste better than Hares.

I used to hunt hares often in the Kootenays but never this late in the year. I have no idea how they would taste in January but I'm thinking they would surely be worse than Sept/Oct harvests.

If you do end up harvesting and eating Jan Hare - let us know - I would be curious if they're any good this late (or early depending on how you look at it).