Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to look for in a Cargo Trailer

What to look for in a Cargo Trailer

I have started looking in to get a cargo trailer to haul my soon to come UTV. I m looking at either a 7x14 or 7x16 because I will use it for a camp too. I know I will need a higher unit because the UTV is 80 inches tall.

What are some things to look for? I see some insides are made from a OSB type of plywood, sides and bottom from the looks of it. Also while looking at the inside is looked like they used nails to attach the side plywood, but I don't think that's possible. The heads were burried pretty deep into the wood so they could have been screws.

Is the wood on the floor placed on anything else or are they screwed down to the steel cross members. I will be pulling the wood from any unit I get and insulating it.

Just curious are some built stronger then others etc. From what I have seen on the net looks like the majority are made the same.

Thanks.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What to look for in a Cargo Trailer

When I bought mine, I looked for 16 inch on centre wall studs vs 24 inch on centre. 16 inch is stronger than the cheaper 24 inch.
    Thickness of the aluminum skin. A better trailer will have a thicker skin.
    Plywood interior walls. If yours comes with particle board, replace with plywood. You can attach cabinets, shelves, coat hooks etc. on plywood much more securely.
    Torsion axles ride better and last longer than spring and shackles.
    I like the round roof vs flat, but my buddy has a flat roof that he prefers.
    If you're going to use it as a camper, make sure it has, or you can get, a RV type door lock/opener on the man door.
    I think you're better off spending a bit more for a better quality trailer. Some of the cheap ones are just that, cheap.

Thicker skin is good if you plan on bouncing it off trees.
    Single axle, low gvw go with rubber torsion.
    Tandem and higher GVW go with springs.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Thicker skin is good if you plan on bouncing it off trees.
    Single axle, low gvw go with rubber torsion.
    Tandem and higher GVW go with springs.
    I’d stay with torsion axles no matter what. Easy to build a riser frame to lift unit higher off the ground.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I Have a 6x10 cargo mate that I us for many things such as hauling decoys, hauling a quad, and have camped in it (solo). For me if I was to buy one for conversion to a camping/hunting/ hauling a ATV or UTV there are a few things that would it would have to have. At least 16' long and at least 7' wide (inside), white in colour (white is a lot cooler than dark colours). It would have to have barn doors ( I have a 10'-12' aluminum conduit structure that I attach to my 6x10 that is covered by white tarp that has a wood stove in it and it works really good with barn doors) I know, then you have to have ramps, but the extra space that's covered from the weather out weighs the need to pack ramps. RV door latch for the side door. Fully insulated (including floor). RV propane furnace. These are just a few things that would be dealbreakers for me.

I just bought a 7 x 14 twin axle, 7000 gvw. ramp rear door. V nose which gives 17 ft inside. Lots of room for a small camper conversion. I wouldn't go less than 7 wide for a SxS as you might have difficulties getting in and out when loading/unloading.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

I bought a CargoMate 6' x 12' x 6'6" (over-height to fit the SxS and camp in) single axle unit to haul my quad and 50" RZR back in 2014. I ordered it with the following options: Insulated roof and sidewalls, two 30" x 30" windows with screens, one each side above the wheel wells, RV style man-way door, 3' wide, inside flip lock/outside key lock with a screen door (window in door came frosted, wish it was dark tint so you could see out). Also have stabilizing jacks on the rear to eliminate tippy feel if you get excess weight in the back when disconnected from the truck. I got rear barn doors and carry a rigid aluminum ramp that I build an under-trailer rack to haul around..screwed a split piece of galvanized 2x4 metal stud to the cross members and it works fine. On short trips I just stick the ramp into the trailer. Also have 8 ring style tie downs on the floor...but maybe should have done e-track myself? The tie downs do work OK.

I ordered the trailer with the higher clearance Dexter axle package...think all it amounts to is taller 5" spring shackles and 15" tires. Also got a spare tire with an inside wall mount and radial tire option. The trailer had upgraded LED rear and running lights and comes with a roof vent. Also an optional jack that folds up versus the standard rigid screw jack that seems to be in the way when the truck is attached. Note that with the jack I have on the front plus the rear stabilizers, changing tires is easily accomplished as you can jack the empty trailer up and lift a wheel or wheels off the ground. Ground clearance is as good as my stock F350. Some of the trailers are very low and would not do well on forest service water bars, etc.

Inside I added 25 of the largest plastic coated cup hooks that Canadian Tire or Home Hardware (forget) sold to hang clothes, towels plus bungy cord the broom and folding table up for travel, etc. Also a paper towel holder above where I set up the folding table when I camp in it. I also painted the entire inside with a gray Benjamin Moore paint, a couple of coats on the plywood. I recently got a small can of the identical paint and touched up the worn spots on the walls and floor. The trailer was not painted inside, just unfinished plywood walls and floor and silver aluminum curved ceiling metal over the insulation. I added a painted plywood triangle shaped outside deck to the front of the frame between the jack and front wall where I can mount my generator or fuel/gas cans. The generator will run there while traveling, powering a 6 -7 cubic foot freezer in the trailer, power cord running through under the man-way door.

The unit is really handy to own. Versatile for hauling and camping. A folding cot, chair(s) and table allow quick set up of camp once the ATV or SxS are out. Cook gear and dry goods are packed in Rubbermade totes plus an ice chest complete the camp.

Downside is gas or fuel mileage is significantly impacted towing with either the 1-ton diesel or gas 1/2 ton. The over-height units have a fair bit of wind resistance, although the empty weight isn't very high. I also wish there was an easy way to insulate the floor...I never have, but think maybe a rolled up piece of old carpet and carpet pad might be the best. (Not sure pulling the floor plywood would be all that easy on mine...but haven't studied it. Think the walls might be sitting on it, plus I believe there is a rubberized caulk joint at the floor/wall interface.

Good luck with the new trailer!

Short pile carpet laid in upside down then cork underlay on top. Cork will not let dirt or water through for easy cleanups. Easy to roll up out of the way or take it right out. Cushy on the feet to.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Rhino lining on the floor and 6” up the walls makes an easy way to clean up. My Wells Cargo 8.5’ x 24’ car hauler was a great trailer for trips, but sold it to run a camper and pull my boat. I’m a fan of the radius roof and Sprayfoam insulation (it’s a vapor barrier and fills every void, even used under the floor) I’m a ramp door fan but understand having barn doors to create and extra room. Have a fuel/access door mounted high on the wall to give you a place to run your wood stove pipe out if so desired.(factory doors make it look clean and can be placed wherever you want it. Buying a taller trailer gives you better inside clearance and is more useful with better resale. Anything I purchase I factor in resale options to allow me to maximize return as well as a broader purchaser base.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Hi BHB,r

I'm in the same boat as you, bought a new SXS and looking for a trailer. I had an enclosed one and recently sold it for almost what i paid for it, quality does matter. Used it to haul two quads and other things. I have been looking for a month now for a trailer and can't find what i want here (i'm in Maple Ridge)
    I finally found a place that will order you a trailer and customize the way you want with windows, doors, insulation, cabinets and lots more only problem is it's in Ontario. All the dealers here also have no stock it seems like, issues getting trailers from Alberta or out of the states, all depends what your looking for i guess but i've call numerous places and even went to look at a few trailers but not worth the money compared to one i can customize the way i want it.

I'm happy to discuss if you message me direct and i can send over a number to chat if you like.