Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: calling Cats

calling Cats

Anyone called in and shot any cats? Manual calls, electronic? Share any strategies?
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

2. Site Sponsor

Re: calling Cats

One TV segment showed cats coming in very quickly to the sound of a lady shaking a box of Tender Viddles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    One TV segment showed cats coming in very quickly to the sound of a lady shaking a box of Tender Viddles.
    I remember that segment. [ 15- 20? years ago ] I would suspect that the technique still works well.

I have tried calling cats with a doe bleet but no luck. I do know a guy that has had success with that strategy in the US where cat populations r denser.

Dudes up in the prince george area are very successful calling in Lynx.

I lent my fox pro to a buddy and he called in a Lynx.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

My brother has a friend that calls in cougars. From what I gather, you gotta sit for a couple hours as they like to circle a few times and try to set up an ambush. Just gotta be more patient than them.

I've never personally tired, but have been becoming more and more interested in alternate methods to cat hunting from running dogs. Not that I'm against using dogs. Just don't know anyone with them that would take me out.

Ive only called in Lynx before. As stated the PG folk are flooding the fb pages with them. I’m hoping to get out after the holidays for some cat calling but will be focusing more on bobcat country.
    Down in the south Lynx aren’t as widespread so you’ll either need to find old sign or a bunch of rabbit sign rather than just calling blind. I use a fox pro with a moving decoy attachment, the moving decoy is critical as they really hone in on the movement. Snowshoe hair distress starting quiet and increasing volume; spend the better portion of an hour on a set.
    Lynx tastes remarkably good so make sure to use the meat! Perfect way to keep hunting all winter long.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    My brother has a friend that calls in cougars. From what I gather, you gotta sit for a couple hours as they like to circle a few times and try to set up an ambush. Just gotta be more patient than them.

I've never personally tired, but have been becoming more and more interested in alternate methods to cat hunting from running dogs. Not that I'm against using dogs. Just don't know anyone with them that would take me out.
    I called one in while bowhunting early sept elk several years back in mu 4-25. I had set up in very hard to get to steep somewhat open timbered area between 2 thick slides where I had glassed elk feeding the eveing before. It was late evening and I was cow calf calling on/off for about 90 minutes and picked up a slight movement off to my left at about 40 yards. A big cougar !!! I remained still as he stalked toward my renzo's decoy set up on a small clearing the to my right and about 30
    yards behind me. Was pretty obvious he could see it. He came in cross wind head low in full stalk mode and did just as you said, circled down wind until he caught my scent. He quietly slipped away down wind without ever making a sound. Whole episode lasted about 5 minutes.

Was to this day the most facinating experience I ever had with a wild animal.

Ive since wondered, how many I may have unknowingly called in on past hunts. Not sure it would be an easy task to intentionally call one in to shooting range but hey, would make for an epic hunt if you could pull it off
    Last edited by Ron.C; 12-24-2020 at 11:37 AM.

for Lynx, Foxpro Woodpecker distress, higher volume and call steady. Decoy will help a lot
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004