Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: calling Cats

Re: calling Cats

Ill be giving it a try this winter. picked up a lucky duck revolt half price at cabelas. has decoy and lots of calls. for coyotes Ive heard 30 minutes max for cat ive heard an hour for the small ones and a couple for cougars. I will be snow shoeing out and finding fresh sign then calling on that for better chances.

Rabbit in distress call has worked for me in the past.
    BCWF, NFA, CSSA, CCFR.

Fresh snow helps a lot to get you close enough to a bobcat or lynx for it to hear you calling. Cats tend to be much more sparsely distributed across the landscape than coyotes. the smaller cats also tend to be tied more closely to specific bits of habitat. So if you do not already know the locations of several pockets of cat preferred habitat start out by cruising the roads after a fresh snow and look for cat tracks. You might want to put the coordinates of each set of tracks in your hunting diary and or on your local map. These points will be good starting points for days when there is not any fresh snow and you have to call blind. Anyway after finding the tracks continue checking the road and side roads if possible to try to determine if there is fresher sign nearby. Make a decision on where to set up along the cats projected travel path where you can be comfortable and have shooting lanes. Comfort is important because you need to sit as motionless as possible for at least an hour. Probably more cats are called in by accident by coyote hunters using rabbit or deer vocalizations then by dedicated cat hunters because coyote hunters probably outnumber cat hunters by 20 to 1. People focusing on bobcats tend to use bird vocalizations more often than coyote hunters do.

With cougars it is even more important that you try to find very fresh sign so that you have some hope of having a cougar within earshoot. They are exceedingly difficult to call in if they can not hear you imploring them to come visiting. None the less, every year one or more of my clients relates that they were just sitting there tweeting on a deer call or an elk cow call when they found themselves being stalked by the cougar they brought to me.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by dracb View Post
    Fresh snow helps a lot to get you close enough to a bobcat or lynx for it to hear you calling. Cats tend to be much more sparsely distributed across the landscape than coyotes. the smaller cats also tend to be tied more closely to specific bits of habitat. So if you do not already know the locations of several pockets of cat preferred habitat start out by cruising the roads after a fresh snow and look for cat tracks. You might want to put the coordinates of each set of tracks in your hunting diary and or on your local map...
    If smaller cats stay local, are larger ones more transient?

Also does anyone know if cats leave the area if they've been treed and released by hounds?

some will many wont.

I think to avoid getting busted by your scent it would be a good idea to be 25 feet up in a treestand...
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Otter Point (Southern Vancouver Island) MU1-2&3

Saw three cats June 19 playing on FSR, decided I would try and mimic the Cougars chirping sound, well I had a cat 40’ away in seconds.
    These cats were so intrigued they came walking in, and they could plainly see me standing there.
    I may try this again, but how many cats will show up, and will I see them all?

I use a rabbit in distress mouth blown call.Cruise known rabbit areas for cat tracks.Once you find a location on a calm day setup your stand location so you are camoed with some branches to cover your movements.Have patients,sometimes they will come in then just sit there and watch to see what all the crying is about.I think a tassill or feather or something that moves around is a good atracttant 25 yards away from you.
    I have only killed one lynx this way.After I gave up and moved to another location then came back to my stand I have found fresh tracks all around.I didn't stay long enough.
    This winter I will try some more stands.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    for Lynx, Foxpro Woodpecker distress, higher volume and call steady. Decoy will help a lot

I agree. I’ve had good luck with that call.

I’ve never called in a cougar but have called in many Lynx. They don’t seem to be very cautious. In my experience they come in slow and relaxed just taking it all in. They never seem to care that I’m there either. They just casually look at me and walk on by looking for what’s making the noise. I’d have to believe that cougars would be more careful than a Lynx or there would be a lot more success stories over calls.

If anyone on the South Island wants to do some calling I'd be in. My son usually hunts with me, but sitting in a blind for extended periods would be boring for him.

I have a couple blinds, big buddy heater, foxpro fusion with extra speaker, fox pro decoy, alpha dogg, etc.
    When in doubt, just pin it.