Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy arrows

Re: Heavy arrows

Danny_29

It would be interesting to see the retained speed #’s at 65 yards from a light arrow vs a 525 grainer?
    I wonder at what range the speed and trajectory begins to even out?

Quote Originally Posted by WWBC View Post
    Hope we have some in the new year....
    i set one up in the backyard as a back up plan..
    we should be okay as lots of distancing..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
    I'm shooting 425 gr at a chronographed speed of270 FPS . Seems to blow through deer quite well. If I was hunting bigger game I might think about shooting heavier arrows,of course you lose the flatter trajectory. Ranch Fairy is entertaining and informative to watch.
    My arrow weight and speed is nearly identical to yours. Havent changed a single thing with my setup in over 10 years.

Have had 3 pass throughs on elk (39, 43, 49 yards). Wait for a good broadside shot on an unsuspecting animal and put your arrow where it needs to be and your setup will do just fine.

Arrow Re: Heavy arrows

I run with 405 grain arrows (dressed) at just shy of 380 feet per second.
    It is a deadly combination of weight / speed.
    Has blown through damn near everything they've ever been shot at, at ranges out to 65 yards.
    Commonly zips right through bones while leaving them much less than "intact".
    Requires a crossbow to pull off though I believe...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I just ordered everything to build new arrows. I'm shooting 74lbs at 27.5 inch draw and I'm going to build an arrow a touch over 500 grains. In my research I believe its a good compromise between speed and weight. If you are shooting 30 yards max I think a ridiculously heavy arrow would work but if you shoot out to 60 plus yards the drop would be quite a bit more than I'd be after.

I’m shooting about 70lbs, 29.5” draw with a 510 grain arrow from a Hoyt Axius Ultra. I think it puts me around 270 FPS calculated. Seems like a sweet spot for weight, speed and tuning. I can’t remember the exact arrow length but it’s pretty close to my DL Easton axis 5mm with the regular 3 fletch, the standard inserts, iron will titanium collar and 125 grain head. With the bow set up by JSA when I bought it, I had to make a couple very minor tweaks to my rest and I can get the arrow shafts touching at 40 with field points and broad heads.
    Everything I’ve researched says if you can get an arrow in the 475-550 grain range and get it moving around 260-280 FPS, you will kill everything and have something relatively easy to tune.

Take all that with a grain of salt, I’m only about 3 years in to archery and haven’t killed anything with my bow yet.

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

Anyone go full Ashby with the 650grainer
    Actually went beyond Ashby and built a bunch of 725 gr for Africa. Tapered bamboo with rosewood self nocks and 250 gr heads... obviously for trad gear (56 # recurve). Decent trajectory to 20 yards then rainbow after that! Definitely no warp speed with those. lol They do hit with some authority tho. Been thinking of dusting them off for moose this fall.

Ashby's work was designed to see what affected penetration, not to tell you to shoot heavy arrows for everything. You don't necessarily need super heavy arrows for deer size game. But if you are thinking about large game such as elk, moose or buffalo it would be well worth considering heavy and weight forward especially if you use stickbows. Just my opinion

Ashby was also working with old outdated equipment by today's standards. We have better equipment and more speed. Broadheads are better and sharper now too IMO. It's cool but don't drink too much of the Kool aid.

I’m at 500 with 73lbs 30in draw, not sure of FPS but have had pass through On everything so far. FOC is about 12%