Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy arrows

Heavy arrows

What’s your thoughts on the heavy arrow trend? The Ranch fairy, Ashby studies, single bevel type doctrines.
    How heavy are your arrows and what’s your speed? Anyone go full Ashby with the 650grainer’s?

To start things off I’m shooting 475 grains at around 280fps ( per online calculator)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Heavy arrows

I'm shooting 425 gr at a chronographed speed of270 FPS . Seems to blow through deer quite well. If I was hunting bigger game I might think about shooting heavier arrows,of course you lose the flatter trajectory. Ranch Fairy is entertaining and informative to watch.

I’m shooting close to 500gr at 280fps. Havnt had a chance to see what they do as the deer we were hunting were only roaming around at 4 in the morning well before shooting light
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

All depends on the game you intend to hunt and the maximum yardage you intend to shoot I’ve sniffed a fair amount of fairy dust and I think really heavy setups like 650 have it’s place under 20 yards. Over that not for me. Too much drop.

I shoot 525gr arrows with 200 gr up front, 67lb, 276ft/s and feel it"s the balance I need for speed and penetration. Good FOC, well built arrow and well tuned bow and good shot, you're good to go. 62 yards is my biggest shot at an elk but I practice 70-100yards regularly.

WWBC, Your arrow weight and speed are fine for anything we hunt in North America. Good sweet spot to be at as far as trajectory, energy, momentum, quiet bow, etc.

Work on perfect broadhead alignment, perfect arrow flight and achieving excellent accuracy to your max effective range. Shoot very sharp broadheads and ensure they shoot to the same point of impact as your field points. Practice shooting under field conditions, down hill if you are mountain hunting and shooting out of tree stands. Do ensure you shoot quality shafts and heads.

Understand anatomy of the critters you hunt, aiming points from various angles, what are acceptable or not acceptable shots, etc.

All those other issues will go a long ways to helping you achieve success as a bowhunter. Changing to heavier arrows isn't likely to enhance your success if you are mountain hunter. If you are hunting exclusively from stands over feeders at close yardages like the fairy then go for it if you think it has value. The very successful mountain hunters that are hunting all over North America I know don't buy into the heavy arrow fad.

Good luck what ever you chose to do!

shoot some 3d shoots..

Thanks for the replies

seems like an arrow around the 500 grain mark moving at 270+FPS is the sweet spot.

Block carver- I agree with all your points, specifically about perfect arrow flight and having field points flying with broad heads. Definitely more to the equation than just hitting a specific weight or speed. Spent some time shooting bare shafts this summer, it’s amazing how grip or a twist up or down on a limb bolt can change everything.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer;[URL="tel:2218469"
    2218469[/URL]]shoot some 3d shoots..
    Hope we have some in the new year....

Yupp I'm currently adding weight to my set up. That 525 mark is what I calculated as pretty much ide for my set up. Shot a bear at 65 with my 450 grains and it wasn't a pass through, got both lungs though. I'm hoping the weight will help get all the way through to increase blood trails.