Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Elk hunting and have a few questions

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: New to Elk hunting and have a few questions

Mike

we hunt the East Kootenays Oct 10-20th most years, hunting seems better if lots of snow forcing the Elk down, we mainly target them on their daily feeding routines, I have called a few Bulls in bugling in Oct.
    Learning a new area can be frustrating but rewarding as well.

Good Luck in your hunts.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 03-02-2021 at 10:40 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Most important thing in terms of elk hunting is to send a letter to your MLA through either BCWF or WSSBC to make sure the antis don't kill our elk hunting possibilities. As elk is on their sick list, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dany View Post
    Most important thing in terms of elk hunting is to send a letter to your MLA through either BCWF or WSSBC to make sure the antis don't kill our elk hunting possibilities. As elk is on their sick list, too.
    THIS^^^

Don't forget to send one on behalf of your individual family members as well!
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Depends how much time you have and how many times you can get out.
    If it is a once a year deal, then yes, there are some areas in the province that have more main herds of elk.
    But that comes with hunters as well.

Other areas hold elk, but less #'s (especially in some areas of EK where the #'s have dropped dramatically)
    This can make it hard when learning a new area.
    You might be in the right area, but due to the elk # situation, you might think its a crap area but it isnt or should i say wasnt.

Place up north have been a keen spot for many who love hunting elk but got fed up with the EK situation.
    But, sounds like up there it isnt going as well either anymore, due to possibly poor managing and farmers wanting elk off their land.
    And, yup, it is busy up there as well in some spots.

If you can get away a few times, then i would pick a less popular place first, hunt it and try to learn it and see what happens.
    And on the next trip, pick an area where many know hold elk and plenty of hunters as well.

I stick with a fairly unpopular place these days because i know the area and where to look after all these years.
    But when it comes to our elk, it is in a bad place in some of these areas, so success has been frustrating.
    Few legal 6pts and lots of crosshairs on them if they do take a peek.

A place where 5pt or better is the the situation does help success.
    Or, the early bow season is becoming extremely popular as well, with much of the success happening during that hunt these past few years for many.

Always a few honey holes in hard to reach places that most dont have the time to get to.
    Way up north there are some spots as well, but requires time and boats, but better hunting success also.