Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Elk hunting and have a few questions

New to Elk hunting and have a few questions

Hello everyone,

Looking for some advice on elk hunting. The past few years we have hunted mules in the okanagan towards the end of October with some success. During these hunts we stumble across elk but after they close sadly as we saw a couple nice bull this time. We are planning to hunt elk next season, thinking up north or east kootenays. Guess my hesitation is do we go somewhere new which would be incredible experience or focus on where we've seen elk in our deer spot? Its also the end of Oct when we see them. Would they be there earlier? Or are we just lucky and catch them migrating to their winter range?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New to Elk hunting and have a few questions

Up North or EK are both great options for an elk hunt!
    What is your(or your group's) focus, "the experience" or an assumed success rate at a known location? I'm a sucker for both. It's possible the elk you have seen in your deer spot will also be there at different times of the year, but they may also be just passing through.

Too many variables to your questions to give you an absolute answer to them. I suggest trying all the options, happy hunting!
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Stick to your local area you know! No point on flocking to the “popular” elk spots with the sheep and line up like a bunch of cattle.

hunt your ground, scout it, get to know it. If there’s elk there... you can certainly kill one

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Stick to your local area you know! No point on flocking to the “popular” elk spots with the sheep and line up like a bunch of cattle.

hunt your ground, scout it, get to know it. If there’s elk there... you can certainly kill one
    This is what I'd suggest as well. Learn how to call while you're waiting for the season to start. Lots of scouting during the summer. Set up trail cams where you see sign.
    I've taken one okanagan bull elk.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Local time, and scout it out. Trailcams are your friend!!
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

The Kootenays and North have turned into giant sausage parties. Stick to a nice local herd where you have a good idea where to find them.

Practice calling whenever you can. Driving to work is a good time to practice.

If your in Reg 8 , not a far drive to reg 4. I say spend your time and learn your local herd first , but nothing wrong with learning a new area as well. There are still some decent spots to hunt elk in the koots.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 12-21-2020 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    If your in Reg 8 , not a far drive to reg 4. I say spend your time and learn your local herd first , but nothing wrong with learning a new area as well. There are still some decent spots to hunt elk in the koots.
    i totally agree. Go see some new turf. Expire the province if you. There are a lot better places to hunt Elk then 8
    You say your seeing them at the end of the season anyway. Go for a tour earlier. You never know when magic can happen but one thing for
    ‘sure. You need to be looking for it Good luck. Happy hunting

Thank you everyone for the response and help. My apologies for the delayed reply, had lots happen in the last few months but all good now. The plan is to scout the area we know in the Okanogan during summer and set up the cameras, hunt the east Kootenays in Sept. If we're unsuccessful in Sept then hunt our spot Oct 13-20 before elk close and open to any buck in the Okanogan. Looking forward to this season

Thanks again,
    Mike