Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shot 5 different drake species of puddle ducks this morning

Re: Shot 5 different drake species of puddle ducks this morning

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    That's pretty damn cool! My buddy got that Drake teal that you missed. lol

They're super cute ducks but I just can't seem to get myself to want to shoot one even on a slow day,,,,but that's just me.
    Mind you I rarely shoot widgeons, pintails, spoonies and especially Green wing teals. But today is my last day waterfowl hunting. I am packing it in. I usually don't hunt around Christmas holidays and in the New Year. Had good season and I am super excited in chasing Chrome Steelies next.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

Quote Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
    Mind you I rarely shoot widgeons, pintails, spoonies and especially Green wing teals. But today is my last day waterfowl hunting. I am packing it in. I usually don't hunt around Christmas holidays and in the New Year. Had good season and I am super excited in chasing Chrome Steelies next.
    I used to hit the rivers twice a week with with my spey rod starting about now but I've basically given it up since I got my dog. I took her a couple of times when she had just turned one but it was just too risky to take her and I'd feel guilty leaving her at home.

I don't know what flows you're hitting but I mostly fished the Vedder and it's an absolute pig sty! On any given day you'll cross paths with a dozen barbed hooks on the shore line with procured bait on them, plus all the garbage left behind that a dog can get into,,,,,chicken bones, etc..

It wouldn't be so bad if you could see the dog at all times because most trained dogs know the command "Leave it!" but when you spey fish you have to stand in the water to anchor your line before finishing the cast so you'd have to have eyes in the back of your head in order to keep a watchful eye on your dog to see that she doesn't get into anything.

Then there's all the old salmon carcasses on the shoreline still at this time of the year if the chum are running late. If any of them still have some flesh on them and the dog eats some of it they can easily get salmon poisoning disease which can be deadly.

Still, I may sneak out in mid march a few times when the water temps come up a few degrees and the steelhead become more active and will move to a swinging fly more readily.

Last edited by mastercaster; 12-18-2020 at 11:30 PM.

So, which of the 5 is the tastiest?

So is that Eurasian Widgeon off to the Taxidermist? Could be a while before you shoot another one.LOL