Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crayfish with Kids in LML?

Crayfish with Kids in LML?

I guess for this year it's a bit late for Crayfish, but next year I thought of taking my little ones out for crayfishing? I have never done it before, but from what I read, it should be an ideal trap-fishery for kids?

We tried crabbing, but without a boat, all the good spots are flooded with asian groups with umbrellas and picnic tables from Sunrise to Sundown. From what I figure, there is a higher chance to find some "quiet spots" with crayfishing? True or false?

I am in the lower mainland, so I figured I try Hatzic slough or maybe stave river?

Anyone have any recommendations for easy access (5 year olds) spots that are not totally overrun that kids can have a fun time? Maybe spend a day there? 4x4ing to the location is totally ok.

Again, never gone crayfishing myself, so any guidance is appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Crayfish with Kids in LML?

I've seen some nice one's come out of the lower Vedder from the canal down,
    was told the Dewdney had some too.

Try Jones lake
    great spot for a trip in the day use area
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Jones lake is full of them. Your best bet for sure. 25 a day no problem. Better if you soak overnight. I heard there was a commercial fishery for them on the Harrison River. Good luck!

I think Caddis on HBC is big on crayfish ! I’m sure he will be along ! I have caught them on the Pitt River years ago , they were pretty tasty . I’d like to try going for them again some time !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

We used to drop a trap under the railway bridge where the Stave flows into the Fraser, sadly that's when i had a boat
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    We tried crabbing, but without a boat, all the good spots are flooded with asian groups with umbrellas and picnic tables from Sunrise to Sundown. From what I figure, there is a higher chance to find some "quiet spots" with crayfishing? True or false?
    Are you bothered by the spots being crowded with people, or by the spots being crowded by Asian looking people?
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Like others have already said Jones is loaded with crayfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    Are you bothered by the spots being crowded with people, or by the spots being crowded by Asian looking people?
    What are you trying to imply?
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    The former. Now you could say I didn't need to put the "asian" label in my original post, and you are probably right. In my (weak) defense, though, this is simply a fact: If you go to any of the popular shore crabbing spots in the LML, I guarantee you that 9 out of the people packed in that spot will be asian (looking).

That said: You are right, I didn't have to put that in there. And just in case that offended you: I am sorry! Can we move on?