Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 - My Quarter Century Year in Review

2020 - My Quarter Century Year in Review

Bare with me through this thread, story telling and writing definitely isn't one of my strong suits.

I wanted to share my year in review as it's the one that in my 25 years on this earth, has seen the highest of the highs, mixed with some of my lowest of lows.

2020 started off like most other, mid January I attended to my first ever hunting tradeshow/banquet in the lower 48, Sheep Show. It was 4 days of over consumption of alcohol, meeting great people, and getting to hear great stories. It's an event that friends and I will continue to attend for years to come.

Attending to as many WSSBC/Sheep events in BC is something I try to always do. A few short weeks after sheep show, I planned to drive out to the Okanagan to attend the Vaseux Sheep count for my second time, an absolutely amazing day of counting sheep hosted by SOSA. Before coming into Princeton, I caught some black ice on the shoulder of the highway and instead of risking recovery and ending up on the oncoming side of the highway, I made the decision to try and stop my slide with the snow bank... I hit it doing about 70km/h and my truck was instantly put onto its side eventually sliding down the side of the hill and ending up upside down. I managed to kick myself out and make it back up to the highway where a group of people were already trying to work there way down to me. Luckily, my cousin was able to pick me up, and I still made it with my gear to the count the following day. I able to catch a ride and make it home thanks to some stellar guys I've met over the past couple years through the hunting community.

Needless to say, my truck was a write off.

Now in the moment of flipping my truck, the first thought before even kicking myself out was "F***, I'm supposed to be driving North in a few weeks for my goat hunt". But as soon as my hunting partners found out about the accident, they immediately volunteered to take their truck. Against my doctors/physiotherapists advise, I wasn't going to miss this winter goat hunt I had been looking forward to since I drew the tag.

We departed the lower mainland early the morning of February 22nd, spent that night in Terrace and were boots on, on the trail by the morning of February 23rd. By 4pm that afternoon, there was a 51 4/8" billy on the ground. We spent the next days getting him out. By February 25th, my 25th birthday, I was back home on the coast having dinner with family. I started a separate thread earlier this year on that hunt as well as a podcast with Beyond the Kill, linked here; http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...olor-of-Winter

Spring bear season fast approached along with many days/time spent scouting sheep in different parts of the province. I was able to drop a bear relatively early in the season, April 18th. I love bear pepperoni, so being able to put some in the freezer early on was a good feeling. It wasn't my biggest bear by any means, but with having a tag in my pocket, it was time to start looking for what I've been looking for, a 6'+ color phase.

Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2020 - My Quarter Century Year in Review

I spent more weekends both hunting bears, and scouting sheep. I'd spent 3 season previous to this trying to kill my first ram, so its hard to dedicate a ton of time looking for bears when sheep fever is constantly running in my blood. Later in to may, I decided to try hunting another areas for bear with my cousin in a spot we knew some hogs were kicking around. In that time I also picked up a bow and kind of wanted to put it to use... May 18th I glassed up a bear I knew was a shooter. At first my cousin told me, it was mine even though I had cut a tag already, I decided I'd make a play with my bow as my cousin was packing my rifle. Well... I went the wrong way and the big boar popped out 60 yards in front of him, and he made quick work of him.. a 6'4 color phase with just shy of a 20" skull, absolute stud. Couldn't have been happier to be able to walk up on that bear.

A month later, I made a choice to go scout and set cams fathers day weekend, when I got home I got in an argument with my grandfather about how that was a weekend I should have been home, he was right. A month after that, he was in the hospital for what we thought would be something minor, after an accident while in the hospital, our family lost him July 29th. Growing up family was always priority #1, and with my parents working full time jobs, my grandparents raised us from 8am to 5pm every day. He was someone who always showed all of us strength and instilled it deeply in me. At the time, I questioned how much hunting this year would get to see. A few days after the passing, I knew that I needed to be with my family and the Stone Sheep hunt I had booked for August 16th couldn't happen, flights were cancelled and that was that. In the weeks ensuing, family reminded me that life does go on, and I had to continue on with living my life, with that in mind, I decided I was going to try something new, and booked myself an Alberta Whitetail hunt for late November.

Early September came, and we decided to do a 5 days archery hunt. Although the elk hunting was slow, on the 4th day we spotted a group of whitetail in a relatively stalkable spot, and I decided one of the bucks would serve well for what would be my first archery harvest, if I could put it all together. Well I did, and was able to put down a buck with my bow, taking an animal with the bow gave only a feeling I think others who have done it can experience. Standing over him at 8 yards and hearing an arrows "WHACK" is something else. The rest of the hunt was slow, but we were heading home with meat in the cooler.

Once back from that trip, I dedicated what would be the entire bighorn season to bighorns once again, as I have in years prior. I decided to check spots I knew well as well as mix in some trips into new spots. Late in to September I hadn't seen any rams that caught my attention so a friend and I decided to do a 4/5 day trip into a range we had been chatting about for a few months, although it was beautiful country, with great vistas, and ALOT of grizzly sign, no sheep were turned up. We came out a day early to go poke around another spot we both had spent time in, the first hour of being there, we located a ram we knew needed a closer look. The next day we made our play, and executed well. I found myself 97 yards above the 3 rams without them even knowing I was there. In the end, we opted to walk away as we couldn't 100% confirm he was legal, I've walked away from many rams like this and the feeling of questioning yourself after never changes. Although I didn't know it in that moment, it would be the best decision I could have ever made. My friend was due back to work, but I still had another 5 days.

I once again changed location to head into a spot I have spent a lot of my time in. The first evening there just as I was loosing light, I glassed up 5 rams. I ranged them at over 2000 yards away but even with light fading and that distance, I knew one needed a better look at. Mid day the next day, I was finally able to put eyes back on the rams and begin to make my plan, being alone, I knew it would be a tough one. Luckily with wind in my favor as well as some finger ridges that worked to my advantage, I was able to get into a spot that I knew I was close... to close apparently. I slipped on a loose rock and rolled it down the steep hill, as I lifted my head, there were 5 rams, under 150 yards away staring right at me, I was pinned. The rams turned and started to head up over the ridge, I knew I would get one more look as they came up on the next finger that stuck out, so I sat and waited. After what felt like hours(was really only a couple minutes) the rams appeared on that next finger ridge. But the one I was fixated on, went and bedded in a spot that made it extremely tough to have a good look at him. The rams were 250 yards away, knew I was there and were on a close lookout. After about 4 hours of slowly working my way around, trying to get myself the perfect look... he stood up and began walking up, right to where I knew he would be to get the look I needed. He got to the spot I had hoped and bedded. With 15 minutes left of light, he finally turned and gave me exactly what I needed, I settled in behind my rifle, double checked my range, and put one right in the boiler room. He stood, walked 10 yards, and in all honesty I thought I had missed. I was shaking so bad and in shock at what just happened, didn't think to cycle another round. But in a matter of seconds(felt alot longer) I watched his legs begin to shake and then watch him go head over heels, eventually laying down, and giving himself the ever so famous "death kick" sending him 300 feet down a rock chute. I made my attempt to get to him that night, but in the dark and alone, it couldn't be done. I backed out and didn't sleep a wink that night, after 4 seasons and well over 100 days scouting and hunting sheep, I had just notched my own tag. I laid my hands on him for the first time by 8am the next morning and spent 4 hours trying to break him down and prep him for the pack out. The next day and a half were spent sweating, struggling, singing, and at time questioning my sanity as I got him off the mountain.

I sat and did another podcast with Nolan from Beyond the kill, talking abit more about the story and sheep hunting abit, heres the link; https://journalofmountainhunting.com...eff-agostinho/

Last edited by porthunter; 12-21-2020 at 10:09 AM.

With it only being early October, I still had a lot of hunting to look forward to. 9 days in the middle of the month meant I could head out to meet friends to do some elk hunting. We went out and hunted the same area I had been early in September, except this time the elk were around. We turned up over 20 bulls in 4.5 days but none that we could pull the trigger on, nonetheless, it was a great time. After that, I headed back into a couple spots I know of to do a little bit of bird hunting and some poking around for a muley buck. I haven't killed a muley in 4 years since taking a 170 class buck that I'm on a mission to top. I passed on some smaller deer and spent some time with friends looking for sheep before returning home.

The next couple weekends towards the end of October and Early November saw more mule deer action. Again, the deer were around but nothing that I had wanted to cut my tag on. I knew I still had my Alberta White tail hunt to look forward to, so I decided I'd spend some weekends around town and with family before heading away for another week. But just because I was down in the lower mainland, didn't mean there wasn't triggers to be pulled. I got out for some duck action and was able to have some good days and scratch some limits.

November 18th rolled around quickly and it was time to head to the flat lands. I met my cousin at his place in the Okanagan and we made our way to Alberta from there. We were in camp late that night, and right away after meeting our guide/outfitter, I knew we were in for a great week. Never really hunting whitetails, I underestimated how tough it would be to sit in a blind all day long. On day 2, I had a mid day opportunity at a 160 class 6x5 at 350 yards, I sailed 2 shots over his back... to me 350 yards isn't a overly long shot and it didn't make sense. I decided I needed to check my rifle, only to realize it was shooting 6" high at 100 and my correction would have just had me shooting higher. That evening, I had an opportunity at another big, tall, and mature 4x4. I couldn't get the rest I wanted and opted not to take the shot. The morning of day 3, my cousin punched his tag on a stud Alberta bush buck.

For me, days 3-5 were anticlimactic. Many smaller/younger bucks passed on, even a really nice mid 130s class 5x5 that just wasn't what I came to Alberta for. I wanted something mature and representative. Day 6 came, and it was the last hunting day for me. Now as a hunter, I can be pretty tough on myself, after blowing an opportunity like I had on day 2. We decided that it may be best to go check some fields for first thing in the morning, and the first one we did, was the one where we had seen the big 4x4 days before, as soon as I put my binos up on the field, I could see a big mature bodied buck, chasing does on the far side. At this point it was to early to shoot, but I told my guide to leave me there and I'd start working out my play. I was able to creep into 350 yards just as shooting time came, as soon as I put the buck in my scope I knew it was that 4 that I had opted not to take a shot at due to a poor rest. This time wasn't the same, the pack and bipod were down and I was steady. I squeezed of a round, and on day 6 of 6, I had my buck on the ground.

After returning home, I did a few more trips into new areas in search of maybe finding a new honey hole for muleys and surprisingly did. Although I didn't cut a tag, I find that locating a new promising area can be just as successful for years to come... hopefully.

To wrap it all up, this year year has been one for the books, in more ways than one. I had someone make a joke when I posted a picture of myself after packing out my ram, they noted that the gold chain I wear around my neck was to heavy, and sheep hunters need to crack weight. It reminded me though that the gold chain, was one my grandfather brought home for me on his last trip to portugal, there isn't another mountain I wont see, that the chain wont be with me as well.

Hunting sheep is my passion through and through, taking my first ram, solo, and a ram that will be just shy of making the record book, is something I can't put into words. I had set a personal goal of taking by 3/4 BC Slam before the end of my hunting season when I turn 30... that gives me 5 more years to take 2 more, if it happens, it does. If not, I'm sure every trip in attempt to will be great. Its thanks to great groups like WSF and even more so Wild Sheep Society of BC. I don't think I'd be able to tell these stories if it wasn't for groups like that doing the work they're doing in the field... so just to put it out there... JOIN.

Hunting over all can mean so much to so many people, and for me, its life. It helped me cope and deal with many things and has taught me so much about myself. It's made me stronger, its brought me to my knees, and at times it's made me smile like I never have before.

Sorry for the long winded post but hope you all enjoyed. Cheers to 2021 and hopefully a year that will bring on more memories!

Last edited by porthunter; 12-15-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Great story and pics! Thanks for sharing...
    You definitely had a fabulous hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    Great story and pics! Thanks for sharing...
    You definitely had a fabulous hunting season.
    Thanks! It definitely was, one that'll be hard to top.

Terrific Post .
    Thanks for sharing
    Congrats to you and you well deserved success.

You lead by example
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Definitely put in your time and its given you a year to remember for many reasons.
    The gold chain is a nice touch, i get it......

Thanks for taking the time and sharing, im sure every time you look at those trophies your grandfather will come to mind, a good way to immortalize both.

That is one impressive season. Good times. Thanks for sharing. You are a religious hunter.
    What do you do for a living, just curious as to what job I need to get so I can hunt as much as you?

Quote Originally Posted by tyreguy View Post
    Definitely put in your time and its given you a year to remember for many reasons.
    The gold chain is a nice touch, i get it......
    Without a doubt, certain items can mean so much to people for so many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertner View Post
    Thanks for taking the time and sharing, im sure every time you look at those trophies your grandfather will come to mind, a good way to immortalize both.
    Agreed, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    That is one impressive season. Good times. Thanks for sharing. You are a religious hunter.
    What do you do for a living, just curious as to what job I need to get so I can hunt as much as you?
    Thanks haha I'm a Project Manager in the restoration industry, take about 4-5 weeks a year off and there aren't many weekends year round where I'm not headed out to the bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    Terrific Post .
    Thanks for sharing
    Congrats to you and you well deserved success.

You lead by example
    Thank you very much!