Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very disappointed...

Hybrid View

Angry Very disappointed...

I have ordered a custom little Chek-Mate bow for my 4 year old grandson. Now my daughter says she doesn't want me to give it to him this year as in her opinion he is not developmentally ready to understand life and death and doesn't want him to be saying things like "I killed that deer or elk" because it would be "shocking" to others. CRAP I took her hunting as a little kid, she enjoys venison and elk and moose etc... Sigh, where did I go wrong? I'm really really bummed out and actually a little mad at her... the little guy is pumped and has been asking me to take him hunting for over a year! I also stipulated that the bow would have to stay at my house and only used under direct supervision for target practice.

When did you guys/gals introduce your kids to archery?
    Last edited by The Hermit; 12-19-2020 at 09:46 AM.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Very disappointed...

Sorry to hear man.....must be very frustrating. Maybe play the archery, target, and 3D aspect more than the hunting aspect for a while. He’ll get good at the bow when she’s ready to allow him to use it to kill a deer....or he makes up his own mind. Had my little guy hunting with me since he was in a car seat. Bought him his first very own rifle when he was 12, and we haven’t slowed down for one second. Keep on it Hermit....it’s a worthy fight.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Lot's of folks enjoy archery without using it to hunt, heck it's an Olympic sport (at least used to be). Could you try that angle? There are lots of attributes to be taught through the use of archery that have nothing to do with hunting or harvesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaddict View Post
    Lot's of folks enjoy archery without using it to hunt, heck it's an Olympic sport (at least used to be). Could you try that angle? There are lots of attributes to be taught through the use of archery that have nothing to do with hunting or harvesting.
    THIS. Teaching archery doesn’t have to be associated with harvesting an animal.

damn yuppies amd their feelings

Haven't started archery with my son (6) , maybe this spring. He gets frustrated easily, quick temper like his mama haha

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Wow that chainsaw looks legit... I want one of those!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Haven't started archery with my son (6) , maybe this spring. He gets frustrated easily, quick temper like his mama haha

Mine were shooting at about 4 years old. It's worth pointing out that most kids by that age are playing pretend with guns of some sort no matter what the parents think. Archery is a good way to harness that in a healthy way that focuses on skill development and accuracy without needing to be about killing (until they can fully understand that point).

Tell her he is in training for the olympics. Learning to shoot a bow and archery has nothing to do with hunting. He will be shooting targets for years before he thinks about aiming at a animal.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

what do little kids say nowadays when they are playing toy guns?? I tagged you?? [ I don't think so] pretty sure it's I killed you now act dead while I go shoot the others. It almost sounds like your daughter might be embarrassed that she associates with someone who enjoys hunting.

He is 4...think your probably rushing things.lol
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)