Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter shot west of Spences Bridge

Re: Hunter shot west of Spences Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    I'm perfectly comfortable walking around with a loaded chamber, safety engaged. If I think I will be in a situation where I cannot control the firearm, it gets unloaded/unchambered.

If I was in a situation where I was not in charge (like a guided hunt) I would do as requested by the guide.
    this is how I was taught...unchamber to go over a fence or walk a log across a creek etc...muzzle control at all times and work the action 3 times when handing over a gun or picking one up

60 years ago My dad told me the most dangerous time was when you fired a shot at a deer and automatically reloaded ready to take another shot ...in the moment you are distracted and might forget the gun is loaded..it’s advice I never forgot and passed on to my boys

no, I never use a safety, either leave the bolt open or load and close the bolt on an empty chamber,easy enough to work the bolt and put one in.I think constancy is the key ,
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 12-14-2020 at 08:16 AM.

HAS anyone found any Public News of this Hunter being Shot ? RJ

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    60 years ago My dad told me the most dangerous time was when you fired a shot at a deer and automatically reloaded ready to take another shot ...in the moment you are distracted and might forget the gun is loaded..it’s advice I never forgot and passed on to my boys

no, I never use a safety, either leave the bolt open or load and close the bolt on an empty chamber,easy enough to work the bolt and put one in.I think constancy is the key ,
    IMHO, the advice your father should have instilled in you head is "ALWAYS treat every firearm as though it is loaded at all times" instead of "don't load your firearm"

I hunt with a round chambered quite a lot. Yesterday I was upland hunting and it would IMO pretty tough to chamber a shell when a bird flushes.

When I'm bear hunting on the island, its predominantly spot and stalk and I don't typically chamber a round until I'm ready to shoot.

When I'm deer or elk hunting, I often still hunt and have shot animals at close range, once again making clambering a round difficult when you are in close quarters. If I'm sitting, my rifle is loaded.

I do unload my gun when making hard climbs (often the case when goat hunting) or descents or traversing very bad terrain where a fall is far more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I hunt with a round chambered quite a lot. Yesterday I was upland hunting and it would IMO pretty tough to chamber a shell when a bird flushes.

When I'm bear hunting on the island, its predominantly spot and stalk and I don't typically chamber a round until I'm ready to shoot.

When I'm deer or elk hunting, I often still hunt and have shot animals at close range, once again making clambering a round difficult when you are in close quarters. If I'm sitting, my rifle is loaded.

I do unload my gun when making hard climbs (often the case when goat hunting) or descents or traversing very bad terrain where a fall is far more likely.
    YUP ! ALL just common sense stuff ! but as we all know common sense is LACKING a lot these days ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    The main reason I got 45/70 Defenders for both Eve & I. When I see fresh grizz signs the gun is chambered with a 540 gr when alone & ready to use almost immediately.
    If hunting with a partner the chamber is empty in general.

Re: the story. Couldn't find any info on the shooting so far!
    More scarier then the bear is a person with a loaded gun that is scared of bears.

As Ron says, for upland there is always a shell in the chamber(s). If you don’t hunt that way, you will never get birds, other than maybe grouse. Try hunting chukar without a round in the pipe...

When I’m traversing sketchy terrain, I unload. I usually hunt with a lever action so have a safety AND half cock position on the hammer. I’ve hunted the same way for 30 years and it’s worked for me. Mind you, I am an absolute nazi about muzzle control, even unloaded, so that covers 99% of the safety aspect.

And we STILL don’t have ANY proof anyone got hurt aside from the first post here saying “I know a guy who heard from a guys cousin that someone somewhere might have gotten shot”.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    More scarier then the bear is a person with a loaded gun that is scared of bears.
    Exactly, person that is scared of bears is a scary thing to behold. In the mid 1960's we had a some one that lived fairly close to us that had shot and killed his hunting partner, apparently they had seen bears close by and when he heard some noise in the bush he let some lead fly and changed both of their lives for ever.

The CORE program has helped a great deal. The number of hunters have remained fairly constant at around 100,000, while the hunting accidents have declined, often going years without one.

As an apprentice carpenter my journeyman told me this hunting story. On the way home , one of the guys sitting in the back seat fell asleep and pushed the trigger blowing a hole in the roof of his car. in '50s ?? He was still pissed off about it.