Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter shot west of Spences Bridge

Re: Hunter shot west of Spences Bridge

your missing some others

My thoughts / opinions about utilizing (but not relying on) safety, having one in the pipe, etc have changed a lot over the years toward the cautious side.

Way I see it 3 events need to coinside. A gun needs to be loaded, unknowingly or not, a trigger pull intentional or not or malfunction occurs and the firearm is pointed in an unsafe direction, knowingly or unknowingly.

I figure carry around a gun day after day, year after year, nobody is immune. I've seen 1 out of 3 happen a few times and 2 out of 3 happen twice.

I always use the safety these days and only have one in the pipe some of the time when solo.

Being aware of ones target and beyond... man I wish some of these rec shooters would get the memo. Had so many bullets zing/whistling/screech, hit trees in behind me these last couple years. So many seem to think "treeline = backstop" ... probably nobody in the bush right? And it should hit a tree within the first 50 yards right? Nope... most coming through 800 yards later even in the thickest... then of course a couple guys I came down and talked to "oh we're so sorry we just wanted to fire some up the hill towards the mountain, didn't know anybody could be up there"

But complete ignorance (criminal to boot) ^^^^^^ aside, it's up to each hunter or hunting group to decide how they want to roll and that's fine so long as everyone is on the same page and being aware of their targets and beyond.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 12-05-2021 at 09:11 PM.

I was hunting this one spot that is hike in only, never seen sign of humans in there before all my time there. It's a beauty patch of mature timber on these mossy bluffs overlooking a small overgrown cut. I was still hunting all day and popped onto the bluffs to cook some lunch with a view. I was glassing because you never know, and down in there was some dude glassing with his rifle. Pointed right at my guts. I grabbed my brother in law and we jumped into some timber. Not a good feeling. I'm surprised how many guys use the scope not the binos to glass. Big no no
    If you are not wet, cold, and have sore legs, you're not blacktail hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by jshansen View Post
    I was hunting this one spot that is hike in only, never seen sign of humans in there before all my time there. It's a beauty patch of mature timber on these mossy bluffs overlooking a small overgrown cut. I was still hunting all day and popped onto the bluffs to cook some lunch with a view. I was glassing because you never know, and down in there was some dude glassing with his rifle. Pointed right at my guts. I grabbed my brother in law and we jumped into some timber. Not a good feeling. I'm surprised how many guys use the scope not the binos to glass. Big no no
    Holy smokes! Like he's just scanning around with his rifle looking for game and next thing you know he's pointing it at you? Or he knew you were there and trying to figure out what you were having for lunch?

How far away? I mean not that any of these questions matter, just really curious about how that all went down.

i had.. shot a moose accross a meadow..i was field dressing the bull when a truck pulled up back accross the meadow..2 guys got out and used their rifle scopes to look at me ..i drove my quad across gave them shit..and went back to my moose.
    i never have one in the pipes..neither did my clients...or my hunting friends ..shit happens..there are no do overs.
    when it is safe..
    when the correct game animal is spotted and is in my comfort range and i am ready i load a bullet put safety in
    when comfortable..no surprises..safety comes off..i shoot
    do i miss some harvest opportunities..yes...
    but i almost never have those holy shit moments..last one over 20 years ago..
    and yes i limit my hunting partners because of safety issues

im OK with my safety setup....I CAN LIVE WITH MY DECISIONS..
    Srupp

A story told me. " I got shot at. I yelled and waved. I got shot at again. Luckily for me I missed when I returned fire. I might have lost my license." Stories like this were once common.

Another shooting

Jimmy Carl Castle, 70, was hunting in West Virginia when he spotted what he thought was a bear, took aim and fired. It was around 11 a.m., Wednesday, Dec. 1. Castle shot David Nicholas Green, 30, who was wearing a black shirt while digging for roots in the area
    https://www.kansascity.com/news/nati...256382702.html

The hunter has been arrested & was charged with negligent shooting and failure to render aid.
    https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-west-virginia
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Another hunter killed yesterday afternoon. Details to come.

37 year old Nathan Allen Sharpnack was taking part in a deer drive with a large group of hunters in Iowa when he was fatally shot.

https://kelo.com/2021/12/05/iowa-hun...tally-wounded/

More detail

The group had 20 hunters.
    The “deer drive” tactic typically involves a hunting party that splits into two groups, with one group walking through an area to startle deer into another area where the other group is waiting to shoot.
    Deer hunters are required to wear orange vests or jackets while hunting with firearms.

Shooting victim was part of 20-person hunting group - Iowa Capital Dispatch

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

A hunting partner of my dad's, took a black bear.
    He was on his own, and no backpack.
    He piggybacked the bear, over his back, just holdig on to the front paws at his chest.
    Started to make his way back to the truck when heard and "felt" the shot whiz right by his ear.
    He dropped the bear and turned around to yell.
    Hunter just ran out of there and took off in his truck.
    Guess the hunter saw the bear, and assumed it was walking on its hind legs?????

So, there is a lesson in there when packing game out also!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    A hunting partner of my dad's, took a black bear.
    He was on his own, and no backpack.
    He piggybacked the bear, over his back, just holdig on to the front paws at his chest.
    Started to make his way back to the truck when heard and "felt" the shot whiz right by his ear.
    He dropped the bear and turned around to yell.
    Hunter just ran out of there and took off in his truck.
    Guess the hunter saw the bear, and assumed it was walking on its hind legs?????

So, there is a lesson in there when packing game out also!
    Always good to hear more pertinent info!

When we pack out a deer, sometimes in 1 piece, & moose parts we always flag it & make plenty of noise so can be easily seen &/or heard & never had a problem with other hunters.

Over the many years of hunting/surveying...saw bears stand up on their hind legs to smell & listen so the other hunter thought he was shooting at a bear.