Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter shot west of Spences Bridge

Re: Hunter shot west of Spences Bridge

does this orange vest make my ass look phat?

Long ago , okay, 50s and 60s we wore red and orange quite a bit. The pants were usually blue jeans, but sometimes brownish wool pants, weather dependent.

On this occasion, I was hunting solo between Rock Creek and Midway. I was crossing a fairly open hillside when just in front of me the dirt blew up followed by the report of a rifle shot. Lucky for me, there was a large boulder two giant steps away which I dove behind just as I heard the second report.

After a couple of minutes I collect my wits. I get down on my belly and gingerly peek around the boulder.
    Across the way I see a guy squinting through his scope in my direction. I gingerly slide my rifle out and line up on a slender poplar tree trunk about 15" away from him and send a shot into the trunk. I see wood splinters flying and then the French accented caterwauling starts. "Don't shot, don't shot!"

I holler back with with the same instruction and then show myself. Across the way I see a portly dude in a red mackinaw jacket and cap combo.

As I approach he starts profusely apologizing stating, "I thought you a deer" in a heavily laced French accent.

I can see why that could be, his glasses were like the bottoms of a coke bottle and were quite smudged. On top of that, I asked to see his rifle and took a peek down the scope. It was so out of focus for me that when I looked over to the boulder I could not make any detail.

Anyhow, I chewed him out and told him to be more cautious and get the scope in focus. He said he would go home to his friend's place in Greenwood and get him to help focus the scope. It didn't dawn on me at the time to ask to see his hunting license or to ask if he was a BC resident.

I was wearing plaid as well, red cap. It was sometime later when in the Cariboo, I was sitting on bit of a hill at the side of a road. My vantage point gave me an ample view in either direction. This was in the first week of October and the leaves were just starting to fall. Off in the distant I see a black shape moving amongst the trees. Pop my binoculars up and what I see is not the black of a moose, but the plaid jacket of man. Over the distance, the color black becomes more predominant over the red, virtually obscuring the red. About then I decided to acquire some camo. Not the camo of today, but the military camo from the 50s and 60s, the only camo available.

And I stopped hiking about aimlessly. Hike to a spot that gives me cover and which I can see from in most all direction. Figured that if I wasn't moving, there was a less likely chance of being seen and mistaken for a critter.

One more thing. There is a little test you should do on your bolt action rifle. On an empty chamber, cock the rifle, engage the safety and pull back on the trigger. Now, keeping your finger away from the trigger, ease the safety off. If the firing pin is released, you better get the rifle to a gunsmith to have him check it out.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    I don't think hunter orange hats or vests look stupid
    Well, my wife says it's really my face, but I prefer blaming it on the hat

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Been wearing an orange &/or red shirt/jacket & a red hat since a teen & never been shot at. IMO hunters should be required to wear blaze orange.
    Also deer/moose are colour blind & I don't hunt bears/wolves....

I've noticed that you arrive at conclusions in a rather bizarre manner. I've never worn orange and i haven't been shot at either . Go figure

Quote Originally Posted by chilko View Post
    I've noticed that you arrive at conclusions in a rather bizarre manner. I've never worn orange and i haven't been shot at either . Go figure
    Count me on this. Wierd or what.

I dont see where anybody is mentioning the possible shooting anymore and this has morphed into a safety thread with many differing opinions. As with everything in life resonsibility starts and ends with yourself. Dont always look to someone else for the porblem or the solution. Personally I wear camo and hide from others in thebush until I can verify their intentions. As a hunter you should be able to see them as well as they can see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Long ago , okay, 50s and 60s we wore red and orange quite a bit. The pants were usually blue jeans, but sometimes brownish wool pants, weather dependent.

On this occasion, I was hunting solo between Rock Creek and Midway. I was crossing a fairly open hillside when just in front of me the dirt blew up followed by the report of a rifle shot. Lucky for me, there was a large boulder two giant steps away which I dove behind just as I heard the second report.

After a couple of minutes I collect my wits. I get down on my belly and gingerly peek around the boulder.
    Across the way I see a guy squinting through his scope in my direction. I gingerly slide my rifle out and line up on a slender poplar tree trunk about 15" away from him and send a shot into the trunk. I see wood splinters flying and then the French accented caterwauling starts. "Don't shot, don't shot!"

I holler back with with the same instruction and then show myself. Across the way I see a portly dude in a red mackinaw jacket and cap combo.

As I approach he starts profusely apologizing stating, "I thought you a deer" in a heavily laced French accent.

I can see why that could be, his glasses were like the bottoms of a coke bottle and were quite smudged. On top of that, I asked to see his rifle and took a peek down the scope. It was so out of focus for me that when I looked over to the boulder I could not make any detail.

Anyhow, I chewed him out and told him to be more cautious and get the scope in focus. He said he would go home to his friend's place in Greenwood and get him to help focus the scope. It didn't dawn on me at the time to ask to see his hunting license or to ask if he was a BC resident.

I was wearing plaid as well, red cap. It was sometime later when in the Cariboo, I was sitting on bit of a hill at the side of a road. My vantage point gave me an ample view in either direction. This was in the first week of October and the leaves were just starting to fall. Off in the distant I see a black shape moving amongst the trees. Pop my binoculars up and what I see is not the black of a moose, but the plaid jacket of man. Over the distance, the color black becomes more predominant over the red, virtually obscuring the red. About then I decided to acquire some camo. Not the camo of today, but the military camo from the 50s and 60s, the only camo available.

And I stopped hiking about aimlessly. Hike to a spot that gives me cover and which I can see from in most all direction. Figured that if I wasn't moving, there was a less likely chance of being seen and mistaken for a critter.

One more thing. There is a little test you should do on your bolt action rifle. On an empty chamber, cock the rifle, engage the safety and pull back on the trigger. Now, keeping your finger away from the trigger, ease the safety off. If the firing pin is released, you better get the rifle to a gunsmith to have him check it out.
    -sounds like you had a close encounter with Bubbles
    Statement of honour bestowed upon me by Camp Cook:
    LOL that has to be one of the stup*dest mind numbing off in laa laa land comments I have ever read.
    Feb.13,2024

Quote Originally Posted by chilko View Post

Hunters who wear hunter orange are seven times less likely to be shot!
    https://www.oldschoolsportsnny.com/p...ge-saves-lives

A colleague told me that he was shot at more than one time but luckily missed while hunting. He wore only camo.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Usually in the Regs there is an article, one such was a listing of the hunting "accidents" per year and the number of hunters. I noticed that the accidents showed a decline to point where there were recent years without any. Whereas the number of hunting licenses remained fairly steady. My take from the numbers was that CORE was working, and as those old sound shot hunters were not hunting anymore. I started hunting late in life, in 1980 . Most of the guys of my age have Jagermeister story or two, but I don't.

Other places have different rules. In one day in ontario I had 5 guns pointed at me while hunting public land in thick bush. I was wearing a blaze orange hat and hoodie.

from the regs there.

A hunter orange garment and head covermust be worn. The hunter orange garmentmust cover a minimum of 2,580 squarecentimetres (400 square inches) above thewaist and be visible from all sides. Openmesh or camouflage hunter orange mustnot be part of the 2,580 square centimetres(400 square inches). A hunting coat orvest generally meets this requirement.The hunter orange head cover may havepen mesh, a peak or brim colour otherthan hunter orange, and a crest or logowhich does not completely cover the hunterorange on the side where it is affixed. Thehead cover must not contain camouflagematerial.