Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter shot west of Spences Bridge

Re: Hunter shot west of Spences Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    ugh brutal, thats 2 in ab this year. i fear there is not enough proper firearm handling going on. they need to integrate safe handing in a practical sense into the PAL program as well as the core.

I swear if someone shoots me ill kill them...if i survive
    When I took my PAL years ago now, we had firearm safety on all kinds of different firearms, ie: shotguns, rifles, lever action rifles, handguns, single action handgun, double action and semi auto. I'm pretty sure firearm safety is taught in the Core program.

In my view, you don't learn firearms safety in a weekend course, or a 2 weekend course. Again, in my view, alot of basic firearms safety is reflex action...and you learn that by repetition. When I schooled my sons on safety I would give them a pellet gun and then talk to them and distract them, then remind them about the direction the firearm is pointed. They also had the core training.
    Shooting someone, you think is a deer transcends firearms safety, I think.

Q; What is the difference between a safe firearm and an unsafe firearm?

A; The person wielding it.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Q; What is the difference between a safe firearm and an unsafe firearm?

A; The person wielding it.
    Like others have said you need to double idiot proof all situations....don't let someones stupid action or mistake catch you in a situation where you are unprepared to safely make a mistake of your own... it is like when I am doing chainsaw work, the first thing I tell anyone that is picking up the chunks is " do not get any closer to me than 6 feet when the saw is running"

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    In my view, you don't learn firearms safety in a weekend course, or a 2 weekend course. Again, in my view, alot of basic firearms safety is reflex action...and you learn that by repetition. When I schooled my sons on safety I would give them a pellet gun and then talk to them and distract them, then remind them about the direction the firearm is pointed. They also had the core training.
    Shooting someone, you think is a deer transcends firearms safety, I think.
    Yup! ... and heres the thing: I didnt even take a course.
    I just showed up to a gun range where some dude said to meet him and challenged both the core and pal in the same night and had my licence a short time later. They never even called any of my references!

All I had to do was make sure I pointed the muzzle in a safe direction a few times while handling some ancient lever action he had there, pretend to cross a fence or something, and that was that.

So, yeah, you learn even less by challenging than doing a weekend course.

This is the first season I’ve ever worn any blaze orange, and it will be a lifelong habit now other than turkey or waterfowl hunting, where it has obvious issues. There are so many people out there now, and a big portion of those scare the crap out of me...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

^^^^^ This! I know the orange cap looks stupid... But I am in the same boat. Some of people out there scare me....

I also now wear an orange cap when I'm hunting in an known busy area or not far off roads where most hunters tend to be. And I always have some highly visible orange on my pack.

Even more so I think it's important whenever I'm moving on or just inside a tree line or in any cut block that is visible from a road or quad trail, especially around first and last light.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    This is the first season I’ve ever worn any blaze orange, and it will be a lifelong habit now other than turkey or waterfowl hunting, where it has obvious issues. There are so many people out there now, and a big portion of those scare the crap out of me...
    Been wearing an orange &/or red shirt/jacket & a red hat since a teen & never been shot at. IMO hunters should be required to wear blaze orange.
    Also deer/moose are colour blind & I don't hunt bears/wolves....
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    ^^^^^ This! I know the orange cap looks stupid... But I am in the same boat. Some of people out there scare me....
    I don't think hunter orange hats or vests look stupid, I equate wearing them as the same as wearing safety equipment at work, where I worked you wouldn't think of not wearing a hi-visey vest or steel toed boots or hard hat because of obvious reasons. I think one of the most unsafe acts a guy can do in the bush is to use their rifle scope for spotting, I can count about half a dozen times I'v caught guys pointed in my direction. After giving a big yell out and hitting the dirt and then sneak a peak they generally either gone or standing there with their rifle down. I talked to a couple of the guys afterward, and their pretty sheepish about what happened. Some people are just too god dam cheap to buy a set of bino's.