Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: feedback on Solar inflatable jet boats

Re: feedback on Solar inflatable jet boats

The 2 stroke will always holeshot better hp vs hp.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    The 2 stroke will always holeshot better hp vs hp.
    They do for sure. The 25hp Merc 4-stroke jet is also rated at 25hp at the pump. But it has all the same specs as the 30hp prop Merc that is rated at the head. So the math puts it at about 21hp out the pump in all reality and from my observations it would be closer to that than a true 25hp out the pump.

So same power at the head as my Tohatsu but the better part of 70 pounds heavier. I think I’m farther ahead throwing 70 pounds up front in the way of additional fuel to even the load out. Plus the 2-strokes do have more snap.

As far as noise. The difference on the river means instead of hearing the 2-stroke coming for 10 minutes before you see it you only hear the 4-stroke for 7. Both are loud in all reality and if an animal is going to be scared off by the 2-stroke it probably will be by the 4-stroke too. They all sound like airplanes from a distance and I drive right up to a ton of moose and deer so it doesn’t seem to bother some animals. Can’t say what was there and got chased off the river before I got there. One thing I have learned though is the prevailing breeze always seems to go with the current so I see way more animals running than I ever see drifting.

I have a bit of an update...

NR Motors in Prince George has split off their boat sales so if you want a new Solar you now need to buy it through Cycle North marine and powersports division. Maybe coincidentally but along with the move the prices for new Solar boats have also gone up significantly. A new Solar 420 Strela jet hull with a heavy-duty bottom, transom braces and additional top tubes will cost you over $7,000 plus tax. They are great little boats but in the end they are only a 13' PVC inflatable so in my mind they are starting to price themselves out of the market. In just 1 year they have gone up $2,000 so to put that in perspective it's a 40% increase in price.

I've reached out to Jetech in Alaska and their prices on the same boat seem to be more reasonable, even with exchange. I was getting ready to pull the plug on a new 420 Strela so as much as I'd like to support a Canadian company I'm going to get a price delivered from Alaska too just to see what buying Canadian is costing me.

I’m curious as to the cost difference as well.. I hate not buying local but I also hate paying way more then needed when you can go else where. Have you looked at ordering direct from Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by Junior2106 View Post
    I’m curious as to the cost difference as well.. I hate not buying local but I also hate paying way more then needed when you can go else where. Have you looked at ordering direct from Russia?
    Solar will only sell through a dealer. The prices for each model can be found on their web site. A $3,000 boat in Russia is now $7,000 from the dealer in Canada. I know there is shipping, customs, etc… but it seems like a big markup.

That’s starting to get steep in price….. I keep searching for a used one maybe 1 day I can find the unicorn…..

Here’s some inspiration https://youtu.be/x7BIFd5cWUQ

I certainly wouldn’t be taking the fish for a swim up this boulder run.

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    Socrates.