Thread: Turkey hunting questions

Turkey hunting questions

I have never hunted turkeys, looking for some info. Turkeys on the island can be hunted anytime no bag limit. I am big on calls, have called darn near everything except turkeys, I know that in the spring turkeys respond during matting season. How about when they are not matting like now, can they be called through out the year?
    How would one go about hunting turkeys in the winter or early fall?
    Do anyone set up bait stations? What is the best bait?
    Any info appreciated.
    MM

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Turkey hunting questions

I'm looking at hunting them next fall . However, and this is a big one, they have to be plucked. I understand you put them in big pot of hot water. My question is what size of pot ? How many quarts/gallons/liters ?

I watched a you tube video on how a guy does it, he just breasts out the bird, says legs and wings way too tough.
    I think that I would just skin off the legs and thighs and slow/stew cook em.

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    I watched a you tube video on how a guy does it, he just breasts out the bird, says legs and wings way too tough.
    I think that I would just skin off the legs and thighs and slow/stew cook em.
    I’ve cooked wild turkeys whole (plucked first of course) just like a Christmas bird twice, came out pretty great although yeah the legs are a bit tough but still good eating. The legs have a lot of tendons which is why most people think they’re bad eating.

I have also breasted them out, removed legs and taken as much meat off the wings and carcass as I could and cooked them that way, it’s my preferred method. Less work (no plucking). cook the breasts however you would like (roasted with rosemary and Dijon is damn good). Cook the legs in the slow cooker and shred them like pulled pork, excellent (and I mean excellent) for tacos. The wing meat, neck meat and scraps off the carcass are good in a turkey pot pie or throw them in with the carcass to make a hearty turkey soup.

I think wasting any part of an animal is a shame, I’ve seen a lot of guys on YouTube do it but I don’t think it’s right. there aren’t many bad parts, they just need to be cooked differently

I don't think anything is wasted, it has just made life a little easier for some critter.
    When ya head shoots a grouse and then ya breasts it out and after settin er up on a stick fer some feller ta thinkin hes gots dinner an he kickes er off ta the road side an ya comes back tha next day usually tha thing is just a bunch of feathers, been et by some critter, nothin waisted.

No turkey hunters on this forum?