Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arctic oven tent and Trekker Diesel Heater for fly in trips

Arctic oven tent and Trekker Diesel Heater for fly in trips

We are changing up our fly in camp set up. Flying into a spot with very little wood so looking at trying the diesel heater route. We almost pulled the trigger a couple years back but went with wall tent and wood stove.

We are going with an Arctic Oven Nunatuk 14 x 9 with 3-4 hunters. Looking at the Trekker Diesel heater. From our research it looks like the tent holds heat in very well and the trekker (12,000 btu) should do the trick.

We won’t be using this past the end of September so extreme cold should not be an issue ( fingers crossed ).

Looking for real life experiences and feedback from those that use these heaters in tents. Not much information out there but Deluxe and Deakin both tell me they sell a ton of them.

thanks in advance as usual!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Arctic oven tent and Trekker Diesel Heater for fly in trips

A good friend of mine has one. I've never stayed in it but he hunts in the Mackenzie mountains and says a propane lantern makes it quite comfortable.

That time of year in an Arctic oven tent, that heater will probably roast you out on its lowest setting. You’ll probably be opening vents. We used our Trekker this year in a single wall 10x10 Cabela’s Outback Lodge and at -5 to -8 overnight, the low setting was more than enough. When it warmed up near zero or just above, we had vents open.
    They’re great heaters but are sensitive to draft. I’d recommend getting a good pipe cap designed for wind and use the barometric damper that comes with the stove. With the supplied cap, barometric damper and 8’ of pipe, the wind still sucked out our flame a few times. Kind of sketchy because it puffs out, then silence as the raw deisel heats up, and then a good mini explosion when it relights. I’m looking at getting a vacu-stack cap for the wind. Where there’s not much wood, there’s lots of wind.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 12-10-2020 at 06:09 PM.

Nice looking tent...

Good information about the draft. Do you recall how much diesel you use when it’s on low? Just curious how that compares to the information they list on the website.

My trekker heater cooks us out of our cabelas 12x12 on low. It uses about 7-9litres a night. It’s great if the weather gets really wet. You can dry out your clothes and gear in no time.
    I have the 30000 btu model and wish I got the 12000. Mine is overkill and low setting I believe is 10000 btu. You should be perfect with the 12000 model. It will sip the diesel better then mine and heat you just perfect
    Last edited by Brew; 12-10-2020 at 08:29 PM.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Thanks Brew, do you have any issues with the wind blowing yours out?

We use a diesel heater in our ice fishing shack (Atco 10x25) and it keeps us comfortable on low at -10 or even colder. Usually we go through 5 gallons on a weekend of continuous use (approx. 48 hours) so easy on the fuel for what you get. I had never used one prior to putting it in our shack and with the gravity feed set up, you don't smell it or worry about it.

Would go that way again for a heating source.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

We did 7 nights. The heater was on basically from dark until anywhere from 10-midnight. We let it run all night for at least 3 nights, maybe 4, I can’t remember. We took two 20 liter jugs and came home with one full and 2-3 liters left in the other.

the other thing I did was use a stiffener on the stack pipes. The stack needs to be quite high to get a proper draft for good burning, especially if you turn it up to a higher setting, but once you get all the 3” dia short pieces of pipe stacked up they are pretty unstable even though you use guy lines from the top cap to the ground. So I took a few lengths of 3/4” aluminum flat bar and some gear clamps to add stiffness to the stack. Takes a little longer to get set up but it’s good and stable.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 12-10-2020 at 08:45 PM.

Question; I’ve never done a fly in; can you carry fuel inside a plane?
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.