Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Laurp99 View Post
    I was thinking of buying one of these Sportspal Canoes for next year's fishing/hunting season. https://westerncanoekayak.com/14-squ...ood-web-seats/

There are other options I'm currently looking at as well including some nice fishing Kayaks that would suit my needs but I'm leaning more towards the canoe.
    I also have a folding Portabote, but the canoe would be perfect!
    I looked at the sportspal but ended up picking up an oldtown discovery solo this year. It's a kayak/canoe hybrid. Downside is it can't carry as much as other canoes ( myself, dog, blind and 2 dozen decoys and she's full.

I took out the seat and can comfortably paddle on my knees. Very light, low profile and works like a hot damn as a floating layout. But one thing I've learned about waterfowling in my area over the last several years is one boat/canoe can't do it all. This little canoe is great for areas with low cover, too much water for a traditional layout or areas I just can't get my jon boat into.

Last edited by Ron.C; 12-15-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I picked up an oldtown discovery solo this year. It's a kayak/canoe hybrid. I took out the seat and can comfortably paddle on my knees. Very light, low profile and works like a hot damn as a floating layout.

nice!!!,,,i love the way you blended that in,,,looks awesome
    Aim small,,miss small

Great camo.. "be the log .. I am the log .."

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    nice!!!,,,i love the way you blended that in,,,looks awesome

this is the canoe with the brushed in blind folded for transport( takes about 5 minutes to set up in the marsh) and decoys

Last edited by Ron.C; 12-15-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Have you ever considered dragging a sled behind you on that to fit more decoys? Mind you I'm not one of those who thinks a large number of decoys is necessary, just a nice option.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    Have you ever considered dragging a sled behind you on that to fit more decoys? Mind you I'm not one of those who thinks a large number of decoys is necessary, just a nice option.
    yep, considered it but heard paddling with something behind is a royal pain so never actually tried it.

if i know im gonna be using a huge spread,,,,,,,i use a ice fishing/snow sled i pile everything into and drag it in,,,,,,,,but thats not an everyday hunt for me,,,,,,only when i do a big spread of duck and goose deeks
    Aim small,,miss small

Did you put a layout blind in your canoe because it looks like the side flaps and the back rest of a layout in there?

I looked at the sportspal but ended up picking up an oldtown discovery solo this year. It's a kayak/canoe hybrid. Downside is it can't carry as much as other canoes ( myself, dog, blind and 2 dozen decoys and she's full.

I took out the seat and can comfortably paddle on my knees. Very light, low profile and works like a hot damn as a floating layout. But one thing I've learned about waterfowling in my area over the last several years is one boat/canoe can't do it all. This little canoe is great for areas with low cover, too much water for a traditional layout or areas I just can't get my jon boat into.

That Canoe looks quite nice and I really like that blind you have set up on it! I've checked it out on the website but I still can't find out how much it weighs, I reckon about 40lbs or so. When it comes down to making a purchase I'll seriously consider this model as well! I do a lot of fly fishing, I need something that can get me on the water nice and quick, having a lifetime warranty on the hull is a plus!

RonC tell us more about your blind set up on the canoe! What a sweet set up, hides perfectly from the looks of things. Great idea.
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"