Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    just an old tent pole,,,,,,duct tape,,,,,and i clipped the ends off of 4 plastic hangers,,,,,,worth it to have an extra 10--15 yards reach
    Good example of how imagination is the mother of invention,,,,,,but I doubt if your tent poles are give you another 10-15 yards of reach. 30-45' is quite a lot! haha

Definitely a lot cheaper than getting a dog, plus the countless hours of training her/him but I can only carry on a conversation for just so long with my float tube. That being said, it looks like you've gotten it figured out! Well done.

Just the same I sure like having a dog to do the dirty work! lol

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    What models do you recommend?
    Fishcat has some really nice U boats. I have a Caddis U boat that has worked for my fishing applications but I wouldn't say its that great.

thanks for the recommends. I'll be researching. I had my heart set on a fishing kayak but depending on the situation may be a bit overkill

thanks for the recommends. I'll be researching. I had my heart set on a fishing kayak but depending on the situation may be a bit overkill
    Ive seen guys hunt out of kayaks as well. It actually seems like a pretty neat system i’ve seen people turn there kayaks into layout blinds. It seems to work quite well for them although i’ve never personally used one.

I like the idea of inflatables to get out there. Just wondering if lugging an inflatable kayak would be overkill vs one of these boats. Mind you I could get to more places in an inflatable kayak, just that the ones that are stable enough to stand in .. i.e. the fishing inflatables .. are a pretty penny over ones for touring and again way more expensive than just the float tubes. But then a kayak would be good just for general recreation and I can share it with my gf during summer

I like the idea of inflatables to get out there. Just wondering if lugging an inflatable kayak would be overkill vs one of these boats. Mind you I could get to more places in an inflatable kayak, just that the ones that are stable enough to stand in .. i.e. the fishing inflatables .. are a pretty penny over ones for touring and again way more expensive than just the float tubes. But then a kayak would be good just for general recreation and I can share it with my gf during summer
    Ya that makes sense I think either or will serve you pretty well.

Bought a 14' Sportspal to address access and retrieval. Have a cart for it to load decoys etc when the launch isn't close. Still working out the kinks of hunting tidal waters and rivers. Used to Pitt Polder and valley fields. Have a 12' tinnie and a glass 10'6" layout but local launches are a PITA for a boat and motor.

Canoe weighs around 50 lbs and is a breeze for the wife and I to throw around. Have loaded it by myself but it is a bit of a strain in my late sixties.

I'm a few years from my sixties but would love to keep my back in the same state as it is. Only reason I was thinking inflatable is that I am currently an apartment dweller so no place to store a non-inflatable. I know there are tons of options for solid boats if only I had a secure place for them that wasn't the top of my car

Quote Originally Posted by BowsUp View Post
    Bought a 14' Sportspal to address access and retrieval.

Canoe weighs around 50 lbs and is a breeze for the wife and I to throw around. Have loaded it by myself but it is a bit of a strain in my late sixties.
    I was thinking of buying one of these Sportspal Canoes for next year's fishing/hunting season. https://westerncanoekayak.com/14-squ...ood-web-seats/

There are other options I'm currently looking at as well including some nice fishing Kayaks that would suit my needs but I'm leaning more towards the canoe.

I also have a folding Portabote, but the canoe would be perfect!

i like the belly "U" because of the versatility,,,,,,mine came with straps that i can carry it in strapped to my back like a back pack,,,,,,or it folds down to aprox the size of a duffle bag (deflated),,,,,,usually what i do is inflate my boat at the truck,,,,,,walk it in with all my gear,,,(so i dont have to carry pump),,,,,,then at end of day using it,,,,i completely deflate it and carry it out,,,,lots of buckles/straps built into boat,,,,so i just clip my fins and anything else directly to boat and carry it out as complete unit,,,,,then im not taking up extra carry space in my back pack,,i actually thought long and hard about a kayak,,,,but there a few places,,,,i hike into,,,,and a kayak just not as usable as a "U" boat,,,,,,,,but this is just my opinion,,,for my own personal needs
    Last edited by B-rad; 12-15-2020 at 10:57 AM.
    Aim small,,miss small