Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    im actually heading out myself in the morning,,,,,i leave house 5:30 and am fully setup and sitting in blind with cup of Joe ready to wake the morning up by 6:30,,,,,,,rained pretty good yesterday,,,,,so hoping more birds on the move for morning
    I'd do the same B-rad - I'd be too excited to sleep so better to be out early and ready than sitting in the house trying not to wake up the missus. I need to wait a couple of years before I can get a dog - is it possible to do what you're doing without one?
    forever noob

Quote Originally Posted by boilerroom View Post
    I'd do the same B-rad - I'd be too excited to sleep so better to be out early and ready than sitting in the house trying not to wake up the missus. I need to wait a couple of years before I can get a dog - is it possible to do what you're doing without one?
    I have not used a dog for bird hunting in aprox 26 years,,,,,,,,,,i have a "U" belly boat i stash in the brush for the extreme cases of retreiving birds that are wounded and are wayyyy out to far past my chest,,,,,,i rarely ever use it though,,,,but better to be safe than sorry,,so easier to just bring/stash it,,,,,,,,,,,i mostly use a home made pole/hook,,,,,,,,i bought a used tent from a yard sale,,,,threw the tent out and kept the poles,,,,,,,,,,once the pole is together it gives me an extra 12 yards of reach past my chest depth of water,,,,,,best $5 i ever spent,,,,,,any new water i hunt i do a test walk to see how far out i can get in waders,,,,,and ill set deeks out accordingly,,,,then i know my shooting range
    Aim small,,miss small

Are there still huntable numbers of ducks around later in December? Everything in region 5 is long since frozen over so I haven’t seen ducks in my area for a while. Is ice the limiting factor for ducks around Kamloops?

thanks

was a decent hunt this morning
    Aim small,,miss small

Quote Originally Posted by WWBC View Post
    Are there still huntable numbers of ducks around later in December? Everything in region 5 is long since frozen over so I haven’t seen ducks in my area for a while. Is ice the limiting factor for ducks around Kamloops?

thanks
    the waterfowl season closes well before all our huntable water freezes up,,,,,,depending on cold fronts,,,,,,usually mid january---end january ,,,,,,,,,then goose hunting opens up on March 1st--March 10th,,,,,and alot of the huntable water is well thawed again by then
    Aim small,,miss small

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    was a decent hunt this morning
    Wow! Those ducks don't have a mark on them! You bringing them down with some kind of chemical warfare? Mine on the other hand, often looked like they've been in a war! Blood marks everywhere. haha

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Wow! Those ducks don't have a mark on them! You bringing them down with some kind of chemical warfare? Mine on the other hand, often looked like they've been in a war! Blood marks everywhere. haha
    LOL,,,,,i ran over them with my belly boat,,,,,i didnt want them all bloody )
    Aim small,,miss small

You're selling me on your belly boat. How do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    I love the belly "U" boat,,,,i swear by it,,,,,i weighed everything about it,,,,,the only bad thing is you cant be with a buddy unless he has one too,,,,,you can pack it anywhere you want,,,,hunting or fishing,,,,,and there is absolutely no limit where u can take it,,,,,you can buy really cheap blow ups you can tow on it,,,,the blow ups alone can carry 120 pounds,,,,,so there is not much of a limit on them,,,,,hunting or fishing,,,,,,,,,i have hunted ponds/sloughs,,,,,,,iv put 4 dozen duck deeks and 2 dozen goose deeks on an extra float,,,,,and thats easy peazy,,,well,,,if not fighting a current from a stream,,,,,,i soooooo reccomend a "U" boat to water bird hunters,,,if hunters dont have a dog,,,,,,it is definately worth visiting the worth of a solo boat
    Aim small,,miss small

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    on a side note,,,,,i have also floated whitetail out with it,,,,accross 1 of my favorite ponds/sloughs in kamloops in late Oct,,,when thin layer of ice was covering,,,,,,trust me,,,it can do the job
    Last edited by B-rad; 12-12-2020 at 01:33 PM.
    Aim small,,miss small