Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionJunkie View Post
    RonC tell us more about your blind set up on the canoe! What a sweet set up, hides perfectly from the looks of things. Great idea.
    just re-purposed my old Cabelas Ultimate Layout blind. I bought this boat with the specific purpose of making a layout for use when there is to much water for my normal layout. I can also more effectively hunt rising and falling tides. The boat is just shy of 12' long and has a very low profile. It's very stable, only requires a few inches of water and a breeze to paddle. Only downside is it capacity. If I didn't have a dog, could easily pack about 3-4 dozen decoys.

Took a bit of screwing around, trial and error and if I was to do it again, could make it much better.

Cut the floor out of the old blind;

Re-purposed the factory Headrest Frame, it required a slight bend and slides nicely right into the rod holders in the boats rear cross member;

made a "u" shaped frame piece out of 1/2" EMT that slides into a pair of clamps I added just about 11" aft of the front cross member;

Removed the door clips from the original blind frame gun rest and installed them on this emt. The blind velcros to this at the front and becomes the gun rest" just as it does with the factory version;

The doors on the blind attach as they do on the factory blind;

The remaining blind material is just draped over the kayak and attached to the front with a small strap.( the blinds original internal mesh pockets and zippers are still functional for when I bring my jerk rig.

Bought a couple packs of marsh grass. Picked up some dye form fabricland and dyed the grass in carious greens and browns to match the cover in my hunting areas. Don't need to add a blade of real grass for cover.

Whole thing takes about 5 minutes tops to set up in the marsh. Pack up in about the same.

I made 4 spuds (1" x 36" dowel) that I can push into the mud and tie off to the boats cross members. Makes laying out in up to 30" of water very stable for my dog to jump in and out.

Hang the blind in my woodshed when I'm done to let it dry off as the fake grass I used can soak up some water
    Last edited by Ron.C; 12-16-2020 at 01:45 PM.

how do you waterproof the grass. Or rather, how do you maintain it so you don't have to get rid of it if it gets too messy. Speaking from experience I had grass for that purpose for a ghillie and a blind and it got so mucked up, not even a hose could save it.

never waterproofed it just hang it after use. It doesn't get too dirty as its not down in the muck. Looks like it will easily last the season (used it on about 10 hunts so far) I'll re-apply where needed in the off season. One large pack of grass will be enough to completely brush it in probably 4-6 times.

Dead a pair B-Rad! Nicely done.

if a guys got a couple decent spots the fowl can be bad around the valley right till the bitter end. Not a month of the year I don’t see at least some waterfowl here.
    Last edited by LeverActionJunkie; 12-16-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    just re-purposed my old Cabelas Ultimate Layout blind. I bought this boat with the specific purpose of making a layout for use when there is to much water for my normal layout. I can also more effectively hunt rising and falling tides. The boat is just shy of 12' long and has a very low profile. It's very stable, only requires a few inches of water and a breeze to paddle. Only downside is it capacity. If I didn't have a dog, could easily pack about 3-4 dozen decoys.

Took a bit of screwing around, trial and error and if I was to do it again, could make it much better.

Cut the floor out of the old blind;

Re-purposed the factory Headrest Frame, it required a slight bend and slides nicely right into the rod holders in the boats rear cross member;

made a "u" shaped frame piece out of 1/2" EMT that slides into a pair of clamps I added just about 11" aft of the front cross member;

Removed the door clips from the original blind frame gun rest and installed them on this emt. The blind velcros to this at the front and becomes the gun rest" just as it does with the factory version;

The doors on the blind attach as they do on the factory blind;

The remaining blind material is just draped over the kayak and attached to the front with a small strap.( the blinds original internal mesh pockets and zippers are still functional for when I bring my jerk rig.

Bought a couple packs of marsh grass. Picked up some dye form fabricland and dyed the grass in carious greens and browns to match the cover in my hunting areas. Don't need to add a blade of real grass for cover.

Whole thing takes about 5 minutes tops to set up in the marsh. Pack up in about the same.

I made 4 spuds (1" x 36" dowel) that I can push into the mud and tie off to the boats cross members. Makes laying out in up to 30" of water very stable for my dog to jump in and out.

Hang the blind in my woodshed when I'm done to let it dry off as the fake grass I used can soak up some water
    Thanks for the breakdown on how you went about putting your blind together Ron. Very creative, functional and simple. Just what waterfowl gear needs to be. I was gonna ask the first time if you tied it to stakes or anchors to stabilize with the dog in and out. Sounds like you thought of that too.

I can think of many places a rig like that would be about perfect. You may have given some offseason inspiration. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    Slow morning this morning,,,,,2 better than none i guess,
    love the color of the late season birds. Very nice

Nice Job! Beauty pair of mallards!

Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionJunkie View Post
    Dead a pair B-Rad! Nicely done.

if a guys got a couple decent spots the fowl can be bad around the valley right till the bitter end. Not a month of the year I don’t see at least some waterfowl here.
    yeah,,,,,i have some good spots,,,,always have birds come to the deeks every time i go out,,,,,,,,,,i had a potential 5 mallards,,,(3 drakes,,2 hens,,),,,,,,,but i totally had a horrible day shooting,,,,was just one of those days of wasted steel in the air,,,,,,gotta take the good shootin days with the misses,,,,,,,but got 2 for the bag
    Aim small,,miss small

Getting close to the end Hopefully you’ll have a few more good shoots. That wind yesterday had me wishing I was on one of my big water spots.

yeah,,,,,2 more days to go to the end of 2020 bird season,,,,,,hoping for 1 more kick at the bucket on closing day,,,,,so fingers crossed ill be on the water wed. morning,,,,,,then gotta wait tilll March 1st goose opener,,,,,hope all my fellow bushmen get in what they can before end of 2020 season
    Aim small,,miss small