Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

Re: Last week Kamloops waterfowl hunt

typically drive tell you see birds...

set up with decoys next morning once you find them..
    attention should be more on how you hide than what decoys.

go learn go again..umm goose..

that said you can wait on a river you think they are going over (eg open water) and some times you can creep through a ditch and puddle jump them..

Quote Originally Posted by WWBC View Post
    That’s awesome. Duck hunting has always been something I wanted to try.

What types of areas are you looking for to find birds? Do you set decoys or jump shoot them?
    this time of year just scout open water and look for the birds where they holding up,,,,,show up in morning before light,,,throw mallard deeks out ,,,,set the deeks to resemble close to how you seen the birds when u scouted,,,,,me personally,,,i use,,,,,12 standard mallard deeks,,(7 drakes,,5 hens),,,,2 bottoms up mallard feeders,,,,,,12 canadian goose socks,,(with flocked heads),,,,,also,,,,,listene to them when you are scouting,,,,not all birds are chatty,,,,,,,and if calling them,,,,,keep calling to a minimum,,,,,,especially geese,,,,,very easy to bolt them with over calling,,,,or an accidental wrong note/key on the caller,,,,me personally if calling,,,,if i get birds locked onto my spread and get them 80-100 yards,,,,i stop calling all together,,,,and let them finish coming in on their own,,to the 25-35 yard mark,,,,,kamloops is more of a staging area,,,lots of loafing birds,,,,,they generally here resting and getting energy up before more of a push coast bound
    Aim small,,miss small

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    this time of year just scout open water and look for the birds where they holding up,,,,,show up in morning before light,,,throw mallard deeks out ,,,,set the deeks to resemble close to how you seen the birds when u scouted,,,,,me personally,,,i use,,,,,12 standard mallard deeks,,(7 drakes,,5 hens),,,,2 bottoms up mallard feeders,,,,,,12 canadian goose socks,,(with flocked heads),,,,,also,,,,,listene to them when you are scouting,,,,not all birds are chatty,,,,,,,and if calling them,,,,,keep calling to a minimum,,,,,,especially geese,,,,,very easy to bolt them with over calling,,,,or an accidental wrong note/key on the caller,,,,me personally if calling,,,,if i get birds locked onto my spread and get them 80-100 yards,,,,i stop calling all together,,,,and let them finish coming in on their own,,to the 25-35 yard mark,,,,,kamloops is more of a staging area,,,lots of loafing birds,,,,,they generally here resting and getting energy up before more of a push coast bound
    Interested in migration patterns. How do you know the Kamloops birds migrate to the coast and not south into the Okanagan and beyond? Where do they come from before arriving in Kamloops?
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

[QUOTE=labguy;2215628]Interested in migration patterns. How do you know the Kamloops birds migrate to the coast and not south into the Okanagan and beyond? Where do they come from before arriving in Kamloops?[/QUbest way would be to show migration corridors on a map,,,,would take alot of typing to explain all,,,,,if you take the white pelican for example,,,,,it migrates from Stum lake,,,(region 5,,,,,60-70km west williams lake),,,instead of flying directly south,,,,or alittle further west to the coast,,,,,,which is by far closer,,,,,,it migrates south-east through the plateau from 100 mile--70 mile,,,,then they drop into clinton plateau,,,,,then fallows corridor through Cache creek and into savona,,,,,and takes refuge at Kamloops lake/South thompson river,,,,,,then from there,,,,,few flocks will branch off,,,,travelling through to shuswap valleys ,,,,then directly through Okanagan,,down into okanagan lake,,,from there straight south,,,,,,,,,,where as other flocks from kamloops lake will take the coast corridor,,,,,,,jumping from kamloops lake/south thompson,,,,,,jumping up into the shumway,,,trapp,,,Stump,,,,Nicola lakes chain,,,,,through Merrit,,,,once birds pass the summit,,,,,,birds will basically cup wings and literally glide/coast and drop down into hope,,,chilliwack,,,fraser,,,,,,,,,there is also the tunkwa lake corridor/plateau,,,,,passing through logan lake then into Merrit,,,,then down,,,,,,,,there is a place i go just south of kamloops,,,,i call it the "night flight",,,,its awesome,,,,every night at same time from mid August---December,,,,,,you can stand there,,(last light of the day),,,,and watch 100s----1000s of birds migrate right over your head,,,,,with the majority being 40-60 yards,,,,really cool sight to see,,,,they all funel through this valley,,,,everything from rare wood duck(not very common up here),,geese,,,swans,,,pelican,,,cranes,,,,literal ly every species of duck you can think of in British columbia,,,really awesome
    Aim small,,miss small

Migration patterns are very cool indeed. Not always intuitive. I’ve shot 6 banded mallards around Vernon over a 30 year span and everyone was banded around Hay Lake.....north of Red Deer Alberta.

Once I discovered this pattern I looked into it further. Seems David Thompson (the explorer) documented this in his journals when exploring that country many years ago. According to him the birds migrate south to around Red Deer and then west towards Rocky Mountain house and then filter southwest from Jasper. Some end up in the Columbia River Valley and some into filter into the Shuswap and Okanagan Valley.

You’d wonder why they don’t head straight south through the Alberta grain belt but they don’t. These migration patterns have been established for decades before David Thompson and still happen today.

Great time of year to be out there.

yeah,,,its really interesting,,,,,,,about 6 years ago i also shot my 1st harliquin duck,,,,,,,suppose to be a coastal duck,,,,,,but appearently a small handfull come inland here,,(tranquile creek) to breed,,,,,ill probably never shoot another one ever again in my life,,,,,,the wood duck population also growing pretty good around here to now,,,,but iv only shot 2 of those so far here,,,,,,and in last 4-5 years,,,we have been getting very small handfulls of snow geese,,,which is almost un-heard of here inland,,but either way,,,its a blast,,,,i love hunting the multi species,,,,its almost like a game in the blind,,,,wondering how many different species in 1 day a guy will see or harvest
    Aim small,,miss small

Most fun you can have with your cloths on. My first experience was sitting beside my father on a slough in southern Alberta at about 2 1/2 years old. Bulrushes rustling in the breeze and the whistling wings on a misty morning, the smell of the marsh and burnt gun powder. Addicted for life.

Got into dogs and hunting with them at about 12 years old and haven’t missed a season since. I’ve seen the prairie migration when the sky was literally 80% obscured with waterfowl in all directions and the noise was such you had a hard time hearing you partner sitting right beside you. One of the true wonders of the world.

Sitting in the truck right now spotting a bunch for tomorrow. Never tire of it.

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Most fun you can have with your cloths on. My first experience was sitting beside my father on a slough in southern Alberta at about 2 1/2 years old. Bulrushes rustling in the breeze and the whistling wings on a misty morning, the smell of the marsh and burnt gun powder. Addicted for life.

Got into dogs and hunting with them at about 12 years old and haven’t missed a season since. I’ve seen the prairie migration when the sky was literally 80% obscured with waterfowl in all directions and the noise was such you had a hard time hearing you partner sitting right beside you. One of the true wonders of the world.

Sitting in the truck right now spotting a bunch for tomorrow. Never tire of it.
    im actually heading out myself in the morning,,,,,i leave house 5:30 and am fully setup and sitting in blind with cup of Joe ready to wake the morning up by 6:30,,,,,,,rained pretty good yesterday,,,,,so hoping more birds on the move for morning
    Aim small,,miss small

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    im actually heading out myself in the morning,,,,,i leave house 5:30 and am fully setup and sitting in blind with cup of Joe ready to wake the morning up by 6:30,,,,,,,rained pretty good yesterday,,,,,so hoping more birds on the move for morning
    That's a good long wait until legal shooting time,,,,,close to an hour. I start to get antsy if I have to wait any longer than about 15-20 minutes. haha

Timed it perfectly late last week. We were all set up by 7:00, started shooting at 7:15 and 24 mallards later we were done at 8:05. It was our quickest hunt of the season,,,,,too damn quick, if you ask me! haha

Last edited by mastercaster; 12-09-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    That's a good long wait until legal shooting time,,,,,close to an hour. I start to get antsy if I have to wait any longer than about 15-20 minutes. haha

Timed it perfectly late last week. We were all set up by 7:00, started shooting at 7:15 and 24 mallards later we were done at 8:05. It was our quickest hunt of the season,,,,,too damn quick, if you ask me! haha

awesome pic,,,,nice bag of birds,,,,,,yup,,,,its a bit of a wait till shooting time,,,,,,but id rather be all setup ready to go just before crack of light,,,,,usually by shooting time i have birds in the set loafing around by bang time,,,,,so there a good chance right at 7:22am ill be stirring up the birds from report of 1st gun shot
    Aim small,,miss small