Thread: Looking for Jet Boat Advice

Looking for Jet Boat Advice

Hello all...

Last year I purchased a 16.5 foot inflatable jet boat powered by a Yamaha F40 jet outboard. It was a nice little boat but it did not meet my needs so I sold it and I'm now looking at buying a new boat before spring.

I am looking for a small boat that finds that mythical sweet spot between cost vs. size vs. fuel consumption vs. load capacity.

I'm thinking of a Sea-ark or Lowe welded Jon boat both with tunnel hulls powered by Yamaha F40, F60 or F90 outboard jets. My use will be mostly river traveling with a small amount of lakes, and some long distance boating (making fuel economy important). Typical loads will be 3 adults and gear and food for up to 4 weeks and possible a moose or two on the way out. I will not be using the boat for running extreme whitewater but do intend to use it on small rapids, choppy waves and rock gardens found on most wilderness rivers in BC and the far north.

One issue I am aware of is that these lighter Jon boats tend to have transverse rather than longitudinal structural framing, making the boat less rigid and less strong. But is this really an issue?

A manufactured Jon boat with a tunnel hull and the Yamaha F90 outboard jet will come-in fully decked out at about $15,000 less than going to a heavier welded aluminum hull...

So considering all of the above, to those of you who are experienced jet boaters, do you have any advice for me in terms of plan, and specifically the size of motor I am planning to use?

Thanks in advance...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for Jet Boat Advice

There is a guy in the kootenays that builds custom jet sleds. I see them on Craigslist and they are priced well. Just be careful if you buy a cookie cutter boat and hang a big fourstroke on the back and pound up a long dirt road. Transom strength is key.

Welded not riveted and UHMW protection for starters. A Jon boat wouldn’t be my choice. Maybe check out the Wooldridge boats if prefer flatter bottom designs with tunnel. http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/

Its sure nice having a windshield for the wind break and being able to stand towards the front for better sight lines. Having passenger weight forward is better for balance and getting up on plane as well....especially in skinny water etc
    Last edited by northof49; 12-07-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by msawyer View Post
    Hello all...

Last year I purchased a 16.5 foot inflatable jet boat powered by a Yamaha F40 jet outboard. It was a nice little boat but it did not meet my needs so I sold it and I'm now looking at buying a new boat before spring.

I am looking for a small boat that finds that mythical sweet spot between cost vs. size vs. fuel consumption vs. load capacity.

I'm thinking of a Sea-ark or Lowe welded Jon boat both with tunnel hulls powered by Yamaha F40, F60 or F90 outboard jets. My use will be mostly river traveling with a small amount of lakes, and some long distance boating (making fuel economy important). Typical loads will be 3 adults and gear and food for up to 4 weeks and possible a moose or two on the way out. I will not be using the boat for running extreme whitewater but do intend to use it on small rapids, choppy waves and rock gardens found on most wilderness rivers in BC and the far north.

One issue I am aware of is that these lighter Jon boats tend to have transverse rather than longitudinal structural framing, making the boat less rigid and less strong. But is this really an issue?

A manufactured Jon boat with a tunnel hull and the Yamaha F90 outboard jet will come-in fully decked out at about $15,000 less than going to a heavier welded aluminum hull...

So considering all of the above, to those of you who are experienced jet boaters, do you have any advice for me in terms of plan, and specifically the size of motor I am planning to use?

Thanks in advance...
    You should have a look at the thread that is already going on this exact subject, but to put in my 2 cents. I have been a jet boat owner for about 15 years with many hours on skinny and big water and can tell you the loads your looking at carrying will be too much for the boat your're thinking of. Three adults and gear for a month? that's a lot of weight.

Even if you use freeze dried food just the food for three will amount to about one pound per day per person and thats being frugal, if you add in beer and things like ice and eggs and bacon that amounts to the weight of one person.

Fuel will be the big one though, a months worth of fuel in a boat that can carry what you want amounts to 8-10 gallons an hour(thats gallons not litres) so depends on how much you will use the boat, are you just going to set up a base camp and hike out from there? If not and you plan on using your boat a lot you would not be able to keep up to your usage. If you think of using your boat on average one hour a day thats 240-300 gallons, first think of the space needed for that, thats the equivalent of 5-6 55gal. drums. Think of that as two people.

How much does your gear weigh? my ultra light gear in my pack for seven days of hunting weighs in at 65lbs plus gun so three of you amounts to about 1 1/2 more guys and thats assuming you're not bringing lawn chairs, coolers, ice, beer, cook stoves, large tent or any other niceties you can think of.

So already your looking at a boat that needs to carry the equivalent of 6 1/2 guys now add possibly 8-900lbs of meat? thats at least 4 more guys worth, now your boats needs to be capable of carrying 10 1/2 people worth of weight. Keep in mind that you need to be going faster than the river when coming down stream to maintain control and if the river is skinny you need to be on plane and moving fast, an over loaded boat in those conditions will be extremely dangerous.

If I'm going to hunt in my boat I like to be able to go in ahead and do a fuel and food drop and I have a twenty ft boat with a 325hp chevy and a kodiak jet with three impellers custom tuned to give increased out of the hole punch and better weight carrying capacity.

You really should be looking at used boats as well, let someone else pay the depreciation. Usually used jet boats have pretty low hours and are a much better bargain. Also if your worried about fuel consumption a jet boat is not for you, A typical day of boating say going to the upper pit and going twenty K up(to the hot tubs) fishing up and back, so stopping a lot will run me around $100-$150.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke