Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Jet Boat Advice

Looking for Jet Boat Advice

Hello all...

Last year I purchased a 16.5 foot inflatable jet boat powered by a Yamaha F40 jet outboard. It was a nice little boat but it did not meet my needs so I sold it and I'm now looking at buying a new boat before spring.

I am looking for a small boat that finds that mythical sweet spot between cost vs. size vs. fuel consumption vs. load capacity.

I'm thinking of a Sea-ark or Lowe welded Jon boat both with tunnel hulls powered by Yamaha F40, F60 or F90 outboard jets. My use will be mostly river traveling with a small amount of lakes, and some long distance boating (making fuel economy important). Typical loads will be 3 adults and gear and food for up to 4 weeks and possible a moose or two on the way out. I will not be using the boat for running extreme whitewater but do intend to use it on small rapids, choppy waves and rock gardens found on most wilderness rivers in BC and the far north.

One issue I am aware of is that these lighter Jon boats tend to have transverse rather than longitudinal structural framing, making the boat less rigid and less strong. But is this really an issue?

A manufactured Jon boat with a tunnel hull and the Yamaha F90 outboard jet will come-in fully decked out at about $15,000 less than going to a heavier welded aluminum hull...

So considering all of the above, to those of you who are experienced jet boaters, do you have any advice for me in terms of plan, and specifically the size of motor I am planning to use?

Thanks in advance...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for Jet Boat Advice

I had an O/B jet 18’ Crestliner. The bracing running across the hull takes a beating. The hulls are too thin also. O/B jets are not cheaper in the comparable power, and are inefficient by design. Heavy too. The load you say you want to carry will be very difficult to do efficiently even with a sport jet. If the boat is big enough it will be underpowered and inefficient. Unless those 2 other folks can kick in $15K apiece, plan for a wide bottom 15-17’ sport jet and gear like a semi comfortable backpack hunt for 2. I gave up preparing for hosting a crowd on hunting trips because I’m not rich enough.

What you are looking at will absolutely be unsuitable for your intended purpose. A small light built outboard jet is only suitable for light loads and short distances in gentle rivers. 3 adults, gear and food for 4 weeks, and a moose or two is 20-21 foot v8 jetboat territory... and even then you're REALLY pushing it.

What's your budget? I'd strongly suggest shopping the used market if used prices get more reasonable rather than buying another boat you won't be happy with.

The amount of people, gear etc that you’re looking to pack vs fuel economy won’t work together. The idea of a light boat/outboard jet is meant for 2 people max and gear. If you plan to pack weight, plan on spending big dollars for a boat and a healthy fuel budget.
    Figure out what you’re weight in is going to be; people, gear, fuel, tools, food etc, then find out what capacity the boat is you’re looking at.
    On another note, running down a lake you’ll have to think about rough water/freeboard. On a river you have rough water, freeboard and our nemesis; rocks.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I was thinking of getting a 14 foot Jon boat with a 25hp jet now I’m re thinking it after reading this.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cat catcher View Post
    I was thinking of getting a 14 foot Jon boat with a 25hp jet now I’m re thinking it after reading this.
    thanks
    My fly fishing boat is a 1448 mv with a 20hp Merc on it. With my gear and myself it fly’s. Add 2 more people and it’s a completely different boat. Still moves along fine, but I’m not packing a bunch of gear, fuel etc for x-amount of days.

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

All good thoughts Gentlemen...

So I have a couple of follow-up questions. Assuming I had an 18 foot near flat bottomed hull (ie Jon boat design) and I have 3 outboard motor options; Yamaha F40, F60 and F90 which deliver ~ 30 HP, 45 HP and 68 HP at the pump, for a total unloaded weight of 920 lbs, 960 lbs, and 1095 lbs respectively. Given these three options I guess the real question is how much cargo weight, all in (fuel, personnel and equipment) can each boat configuration option handle well? Once I get a sense of that I can work backward against my "objectives" to see which, or any, will work...

So again, your thoughts?

I have a 17 ft firefish with the 175 SJ, not near enough power for 4 people and gear for hunting, just cruising it works fine.
    The last trip up the Muskwa, I had fuel dropped off at the mouth of the Tuchodi, as there were 4 of us, and we travelled very light, backpacks and freeze dried.
    This yr, with just two of us,and a meduim sized Moose it was all that boat could do to get on step.
    when this motor is done, I will repower with the ecoboost
    You will need a much bigger boat like others have said..
    Actually a person needs 3-4 boats...lol
    Trudeau is a Neya Noonan Utim Tugeye

Quote Originally Posted by msawyer View Post
    All good thoughts Gentlemen...

So I have a couple of follow-up questions. Assuming I had an 18 foot near flat bottomed hull (ie Jon boat design) and I have 3 outboard motor options; Yamaha F40, F60 and F90 which deliver ~ 30 HP, 45 HP and 68 HP at the pump, for a total unloaded weight of 920 lbs, 960 lbs, and 1095 lbs respectively. Given these three options I guess the real question is how much cargo weight, all in (fuel, personnel and equipment) can each boat configuration option handle well? Once I get a sense of that I can work backward against my "objectives" to see which, or any, will work...

So again, your thoughts?
    Only you can answer that question. How much do you and your hunting partners weigh? What does your gear weigh? What does your food weigh? How many litres of fuel do you need? Extras weight? Add it all up, then you’ll know whether you have capacity or not.

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    Socrates.

Red Ride... understood. What I was asking is for each hull/motor combination, what would the maximum load be and still have decent performance? Once I know that I can figure it out based on my specifics.

Thanks