Thread: How To Build Points And Hunt In The States For Canadians

How To Build Points And Hunt In The States For Canadians

Morning everyone,

I promise not to spam the board every time I release a new podcast but every time I post one of my hunting videos from south of the border I get all kinds of PM's asking how to hunt in the US. I decided it would be easier if I just put all the info in one place. I split the topic into two parts, part 1 came out today and part 2 will be released on Friday.

Today I get into access issues such as getting your rifle over and your antlers back as well as the general differences between the states in regards to cost, draw structure and wildlife management. On Friday I will do a state-by-state breakdown for each species and provide specific application strategy advice. It took me a while to figure all this out and just wanted to shorten the learning curve for other people. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

EP03 – How to build points and hunt in the US for Canadians: Part 1

YouTube
    https://youtu.be/RwM2brlRtLg

Apple Podcasts
    https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcas...=1000501601462

Spotify
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/54gQd50BUmD2FjmnfVvpbB

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How To Build Points And Hunt In The States For Canadians

Thanks for this!
    I've hunted upland birds in MT, ID & WA states but not big game, yet...

I hunted WY before 9/11 had a fantastic time. They are more hunter friendly than anywhere I have been in Canada!!!
    Thanks for the info...maybe I will head south, if Covid cooperates.

Good stuff Grasp
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Thanks. Been thinking more and more about visiting some friends down in Tennessee. Don't expect any trophies out there but would still be great for us all to go out together.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

I used to put on for 20? hunts in most of the Western States on my own and was out an easy $10G US for 2 - 3 months at a time waiting for my unsuccessful notices and refund cheques.

Now I utilize WTA (Worldwide Trophy Adventures) and Eric there manages my account providing full monitoring of my preference points on a state by state basis.

WTA fronts the tag costs and bills me their state and specie costs along with their fees to borrow the tag funds, where applicable, in one statement at the beginning of the year.

I have been with them 10? years now, starting when it was operated at Cabelas.

I think the information on this thread along with some professional management suggested would benefit any hunter looking to increase their odds.

My only regret was not starting in my 20's and have the max points built up sooner.

Sheep, Deer, Elk (2) have all been taken in the last few years on my draw hunts across the border.
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

Hey Guys,

Second and final part is now live.

YouTube
    Apple Podcasts
    Spotify

Thanks for the feedback, glad you guys are finding the info useful. I would like to second David's recommendation. I think tag mgmt. consultants are a great option for some people for a variety of reasons. I do discuss this on the episode I just posted, however, as I have no direct experience with any of them I did not want to give a personal recommendation. I have talked with WTA on the phone before though and they were very professional, knowledgeable and their fees seemed quite reasonable. I'm a bit of a data nerd so I like looking through things for myself but as long as people are exploring options to hunt more I think it's great.

Cheers

Interesting podcasts, thanks Grasp. It's always helpful to get someone else's perspective on the application/points game. I'd rank the states a little differently than you, but a lot of that is personal preference and the species I'm after. Nevada is my favourite state, and anyone who is a die hard muley hunter has gotta be applying in Colorado (although quality there has dropped the last couple years and is likely to drop further the next couple). I've yet to apply in MT, but will give that state a closer look this year. WY, CO and NV have been my go-to states. I'm 17+years applying in Utah and 7+ in Arizona and have yet to draw a tag in either state. One day!

In addition to GoHunt a couple of other good options are Epic Outdoors and Huntin' Fool. In addition to being application services, they publish a monthly magazine that DIY hunters and applicants can use as a resource to help them navigate the various state application processes. I've been a member of Huntin' Fool since 2004 and a member of Epic Outdoors since they started up a few years ago. I've drawn a dozen tags so far using the info they supply, but applying myself.

bcmulie