Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any tips for WT archery?

Re: Any tips for WT archery?

Not to much snow in 8-12 at the moment. The numbers of WT are down so don’t be surprised if the hunting is slow. Less than a foot of snow Below 5000feet at the moment

Try to set up where they come through a funnel or have to through alley I prefer a quartering away shot. Their head is forward and they are less likely to crouch or jump. Slide it through the lungs and hopefully heart pinning the quarter away shoulder With the new speeds and super broad heads you can drop em cold
    DO NOT release if it isn’t perfect. I’ve let lots of them walk Patience. You’ll know when 40 yards is far for animals. Shouldn’t have to be that far. I like 20 to 30 and set up on that premises
    Most of the deer are on the winter slopes from what I’ve seen in the past couple weeks. Isn’t much snow on those faces Not the best for patterning movement in a new area
    Bucks are moving so first light last light isn’t quite as important. I’ve been very successful walking in a little later There’s more noise in the forest when everything’s awake. I love setting up fake scrapes
    if you can get a good ozone device. They work. I also sent my boots and use a drag sock on my walks in and out
    Enjoy your time. It’s one of my favourite hunts Absolute magic when it comes together. Remember to bring out the hocks too. They make a great stew

Thanks for the advice, I’m heading out Sunday. Only have until Wednesday so fingers crossed.

I forgot to ask, is rattling something that works this time of year?

Yes, whitetails do jump the string. But not always. It depends on whether or not they see the movement on release, or hear the sound of the bow. Their reaction to either can cause them to bolt, to get away from any perceived danger. The crouching action is them getting into position to propel themselves.

If you can hit a softball-sized target, imaging that target being at the bottom of the vitals. Shoot for it. If the deer ends up not crouching, the arrow will hit the lower part of the chest cavity, and if it does, it should hit the upper part. It sounds like you are a very good shot, so as long as you're certain of the range, it should work out. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I guess I should be more specific. I know exactly where the kill zone is and I can hit a softball at 60 yards consistently. I see a lot of comments about white tails jumping the string, if you are shooting at them 40 yards or less, are you aiming at the bottom half of the kill zone to take this into account or still shooting at the centre of the kill zone?
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

Personally, I've never had any luck with rattling. What has worked particularly well for me has been watching a well used trail from a tree stand. Have it positioned somewhere before the bedding area, and quietly get into it at least 20 minutes before light. Then stay there for as long as you can. A tree stand is probably 10 times more effective than being ion the ground. In my experience, that's by far the best way to get a WT, especially with a bow.

[QUOTE=KBC;2216308]I forgot to ask, is rattling something that works this time of year?[/QUOTE
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

[QUOTE=wiggy;2216302]Try to set up where they come through a funnel or have to through alley I prefer a quartering away shot. Their head is forward and they are less likely to crouch or jump. Slide it through the lungs and hopefully heart pinning the quarter away shoulder With the new speeds and super broad heads you can drop em cold
    DO NOT release if it isn’t perfect. I’ve let lots of them walk Patience. You’ll know when 40 yards is far for animals. Shouldn’t have to be that far. I like 20 to 30 and set up on that premises

This exactly. All about finding a pinch point with sign and committing to it. I prefer max 20 yard shot and with the right tree and lane this is totally possible. Good luck
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308