Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: River Fishing for Coho (Bella Coola)

Re: River Fishing for Coho (Bella Coola)

Rock Doctor,
    I just wanted to tell u personally I thought ur video was done very nicely for the work that goes into editing them and trying to share the best possible footage with others - it was entertaining to see as well as exciting as I know the joys one gets from fishing - I never looked at it as bad form or terrible fish handling and knowing ur integrity I think it was very judgemental on others to even think u would be less than a positive person on the river

some people look at things too literally rather than remembering the person who posted the actual video, picture, joke - it gets tiresome at times

so for me and my husband we enjoyed watching your video and thank you for sharing it

Ali

ps- I adore ur little ones - they make me smile everytime I see u post something with them - when I saw the moose ribs I was like oh perfect for the HBC cover - but some deviant sick minds would think differntly with little ones and no shirts - too bad that society has changed so much in how things are viewed

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by newhunterette View Post
    Rock Doctor,
    I just wanted to tell u personally I thought ur video was done very nicely for the work that goes into editing them and trying to share the best possible footage with others - it was entertaining to see as well as exciting as I know the joys one gets from fishing - I never looked at it as bad form or terrible fish handling and knowing ur integrity I think it was very judgemental on others to even think u would be less than a positive person on the river

some people look at things too literally rather than remembering the person who posted the actual video, picture, joke - it gets tiresome at times

so for me and my husband we enjoyed watching your video and thank you for sharing it

Ali

ps- I adore ur little ones - they make me smile everytime I see u post something with them - when I saw the moose ribs I was like oh perfect for the HBC cover - but some deviant sick minds would think differntly with little ones and no shirts - too bad that society has changed so much in how things are viewed

hey hey hey

Just because hes a good guy, doesnt mean his fish handling couldnt be sub standard, i know lots of people who wouldnt hurt a fly, but they lack knowledge in proper fish handling, and as such, they have to be schooled a bit.

And on top of that, to myself anyway he is an internet personality (as i am to you, and most people...), i dont know his kind, how he treats fish etc. All i know is that i saw some pretty nasty handling of the fish (whether or not they were bonked), and i said something about it. Where would the world be if we all thought from what we watched that we must not know the whole story, and everything must be alright.

Ive got nothing against RD, just saw some fish handling i was concerned about and put forward. If i can be assured that the fish grabbed by the gills were killed promptly, then there is no problem, i just hate seeing fish (still alive) grabbed by the gills and held up...bonk it first, then take pictures. If noone comes forward and brings it up, do problems get solved...

We would never walk up to a downed animal (lets say non-lethal shot and still alive) and take pictures of it while it was still alive. Its bad ethics. Why is it ok to do it with fish?

No offence RD, i was just calling something I saw and was concerned about.
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. ~Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Browningmirage View Post
    hey hey hey

Just because hes a good guy, doesnt mean his fish handling couldnt be sub standard, i know lots of people who wouldnt hurt a fly, but they lack knowledge in proper fish handling, and as such, they have to be schooled a bit.
    I agree some people while loving their sport may need guidance and knowledge and those 2 things are available from the experts on this site and for me that is what I consider - "experts" even if u are getting into this for the first time - it is showing an ability to learn and understand

And on top of that, to myself anyway he is an internet personality (as i am to you, and most people...), i dont know his kind, how he treats fish etc. All i know is that i saw some pretty nasty handling of the fish (whether or not they were bonked), and i said something about it. Where would the world be if we all thought from what we watched that we must not know the whole story, and everything must be alright.
    Maybe I am naive in thinking the good of people first rather than the bad in a person - I have this thing that if we all have a common ground such as fishing and hunting interests we all have a certain integrity and respect for each other as well as the animals we harvest and the fish we catch whether for food or the enjoyment of catch and release sport fishing

Ive got nothing against RD, just saw some fish handling i was concerned about and put forward. If i can be assured that the fish grabbed by the gills were killed promptly, then there is no problem, i just hate seeing fish (still alive) grabbed by the gills and held up...bonk it first, then take pictures. If noone comes forward and brings it up, do problems get solved...
    I just wanted Rockdoctor to know his hard work editing the video and sharing was not a negative experience but something positive - we saw a small portion of his day on the river - and I know people do not always agree on the proper handling or releasing of fish but he was just sharing parts of the day he had

We would never walk up to a downed animal (lets say non-lethal shot and still alive) and take pictures of it while it was still alive. Its bad ethics. Why is it ok to do it with fish?

No offence RD, i was just calling something I saw and was concerned about.
    I sent him the messege privately but felt I should post it also even though he was concerned I might get backlashed for it - my objective is never to offend anyone and if I have then I appologize

what is the saying - my .02 worth

Browningmirage, let me assure you that the fish were in fact dispached as soon as the bonker was in hand. (although the fish did have to be taken to the bonker) I don't begrudge a guy for a short heasitation on his way to dry ground where he keeps his bat, with his pack. Some of the "pix" that you may have found disturbing, are in fact a "freeze Frame" of a vid, guys were not standing there waiting for pix to be taken.
    The only fish I saw pulled up on shore were destined for the Bbq, yes they were picked up by the gills but that was to bonk them.

The thing that I found disturbing on this particular trip was the guys that walked around with colapsible fish gafs, used to pull fish up to themselves while fishing along the river from steep banks, where access to the water was not possible.

No offence taken, I am not perfect, and as half of the people in the clip were people I met on the river, I guess I can't comment on there fish handling training.

Although not my most.....Controversial..... clip to date, it's getting close, so in the interest of maintaining friendly relaitions, I will remove the clip so you guys don't ever have to see it again.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

R-D, too bad you had to do that. We appreciate the entertainment quality of your efforts, realizing they are moments of real live happenings. Some like a more sterile atmosphere, and have a low tolerance for reality. too bad.

I thought the video was sweet, made me wanna go fishing. I don't sport fish, I fish for food. If they ate the fish who the hell cares how they landed it. If they release it after manhandling it then i'm sure everyone would agree they are ******ed. I'll watch any fishing vids you post man.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Browningmirage, let me assure you that the fish were in fact dispached as soon as the bonker was in hand. (although the fish did have to be taken to the bonker) I don't begrudge a guy for a short heasitation on his way to dry ground where he keeps his bat, with his pack. Some of the "pix" that you may have found disturbing, are in fact a "freeze Frame" of a vid, guys were not standing there waiting for pix to be taken.
    The only fish I saw pulled up on shore were destined for the Bbq, yes they were picked up by the gills but that was to bonk them.

The thing that I found disturbing on this particular trip was the guys that walked around with colapsible fish gafs, used to pull fish up to themselves while fishing along the river from steep banks, where access to the water was not possible.

No offence taken, I am not perfect, and as half of the people in the clip were people I met on the river, I guess I can't comment on there fish handling training.

Although not my most.....Controversial..... clip to date, it's getting close, so in the interest of maintaining friendly relaitions, I will remove the clip so you guys don't ever have to see it again.
    Thank you sir for understanding my point of view...i didnt expect you to not understand it, you do have a pretty good reputation.

Coming from a conservation perspective, (and the fact that i have worked in habitat with fish since i was 13) I understand most aspects of fish, fishing and fish handling. I get a little "protective" over a resource that i have fallen in love with, and hate to see even the slightest misdemeanor towards fish (people who know me understand).

thanks for understanding where i come from. As for the gaffs. If you think they were being used in a "poor" manner, call the COs (or DFO for that matter), they love to hear about that just as much as they like to hear about mammal poachers.

for everyone else wondering about fish handling. except for pike (and the like), avoid the gills. By touching the gills, you are really compromising the survival of fish. Even the gill plates (operculum) should be avoided. As for picking them up, do it in a manner that causes the least stress on the vertebrae, support the belly, and refrain from holding them vertical. When releasing, the best way is to release a fish pointing upstream (dont rock back and forth unless necessary). By pointing upstream, you are providing the maximum amount of fresh water possible.

On top of it all, dont drag it onto dirt unless its being bonked. It wrecks the slime coat, and causes damage to the fish, thus lowering survival. Every fisherman should know and understand these methods.

Once again, just trying to protect the resource i love more than anything.
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. ~Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    R-D, too bad you had to do that. We appreciate the entertainment quality of your efforts, realizing they are moments of real live happenings. Some like a more sterile atmosphere, and have a low tolerance for reality. too bad.

I have no problem with blood guts and gore, having been covered head to toe more than my fair share of times. I just like to see fish being handled properly.

As for reality, what about pitlampers, poachers, theifs, murderers, rapists. Im not putting these in the same category as improper fish handling, however, reality doesnt have to be brutal. Especially where we can control it. We can control how we treat fish (with respect). Why not give it a try.

As for nail gun slinger. So because a pit lamped deer is shot for food, whats the problem. What puts us above animals (term used loosely), is our treatment of more helpless beings (read: fish in hands), if we treat them like dirt, where does that leave us.

Quote Originally Posted by Browningmirage View Post
    Coming from a conservation perspective, (and the fact that i have worked in habitat with fish since i was 13) I understand most aspects of fish, fishing and fish handling. I get a little "protective" over a resource that i have fallen in love with, and hate to see even the slightest misdemeanor towards fish (people who know me understand).

thanks for understanding where i come from. As for the gaffs. If you think they were being used in a "poor" manner, call the COs (or DFO for that matter), they love to hear about that just as much as they like to hear about mammal poachers.

for everyone else wondering about fish handling. except for pike (and the like), avoid the gills. By touching the gills, you are really compromising the survival of fish. Even the gill plates (operculum) should be avoided. As for picking them up, do it in a manner that causes the least stress on the vertebrae, support the belly, and refrain from holding them vertical. When releasing, the best way is to release a fish pointing upstream (dont rock back and forth unless necessary). By pointing upstream, you are providing the maximum amount of fresh water possible.

On top of it all, dont drag it onto dirt unless its being bonked. It wrecks the slime coat, and causes damage to the fish, thus lowering survival. Every fisherman should know and understand these methods.

Once again, just trying to protect the resource i love more than anything.
    thanks u so much for the information

and it is very honourable the passion u have for our fishing resources - I know a lot of people who feel the same way you do including myself and my family

the wealth of information and knowledge we pass to each other will eventually get to those who do not understand and soon will

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY View Post
    I also fished the rivers for a couple of years and very much enjoyed it. Until one day I went and found many people fishing the river and landing the fish by dragging them up on the rocks, mishandling them, killing dark colored fish... Basically showing no respect.
    I now only fish Steelies in the river.

I personaly hope that one day the regs become no retention in the river. This will help to eliminate the meat fisherman and just leave the sport fisherman who generally practice better C/R techniques.

IMO the difference between catching a fish half way through it's life and at the end of it's life is half way through it's life and in the ocean they are much stronger and have a better chance of survival if returned to the salt water. Also the fish retained are good eating. The river fish start to detereorate once in the fresh water. Those big dark fish are certainly not quality eating.

This is just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone. Maybe I just have a real sour taste from that last outing I had on the river.

LUCKY
    I hope it is just a sour taste.
    When I hear comments by like those above it really bothers me. Eliminating meat fishermen puts you one very big step closer to having no fishing at all. I don't see how playing 5-10 or more fish in a day is somehow better, or more sportsmanlike, than catching one, bonking it and going home as the meat fishermen would do. You don't know for sure that the fish you release actually will survive, and will go on to spawn, after the stress of being played out long enough to be gently handled and released. I would imagine one of the fish biologists on the site could offer catch and release mortality stats.

I personally do practice catch and release...sometimes. And I fully support it wherever it's instated for conservation reasons. I also enjoy bonking fish I catch and eating them with my family.

It's a little selfish to suggest the rivers be left only to those with the same practices as you. Reminds me of the bowhunters crying for more bow only seasons, when they were the ones who chose to hunt with a bow...

Not trying to offend anyone either. Just my opinion.