Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: River Fishing for Coho (Bella Coola)

River Fishing for Coho (Bella Coola)

I have put togeather a little fishing clip for those that have been wondering what it's like to fish Coho in the fresh water
    This was from my trip in early October, fishing was slow for the first few days, but picked up after a day and a half of rain.
    Vid turned out pretty good, Enjoy:

Deleted due to unpopular demand.
    Last edited by Rock Doctor; 10-26-2007 at 09:18 PM.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

2. Site Sponsor

Re: River Fishing for Coho (Bella Coola)

did the dolly get bonked?
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. ~Aldo Leopold

im not gonna lie

As a fish tech...who is studying to be a fisheries bio...im unimpressed, and somewhat appalled with the fish handling here.

I only see one person handling the fish with any respect, the rest are just...wow.

Fishing should be like hunting. If you are keeping the fish, dispatch it as soon as possible. Dont grab it by the gills and pose. The lack of respect here just bugs me.
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. ~Aldo Leopold

Browningmirage, that is the first thing that came to mind... I couldn't even watch the video after the first few seconds. I am sorry Rock Doctor, but it was too much. This is the type of behavior and fish handling that is destroying our salmon runs in the Valley. I appreciate your other posts and videos though. As a fisherman trying to set an example of how to handle fish correctly and safely, minimizing mortality on catch and release stocks, I was sickened.

I agree. Let the poor fish spawn! They have come a long way to finish their life cycle and reproduce for our future fishing.

LUCKY

glad i am not the only one that didnt appreciate the video.
    are you still allowed to use barbs there? i could of sworn it was barbless,but one of the big spawners got the hooked ripped out of his mouth with pliers.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY View Post
    I agree. Let the poor fish spawn! They have come a long way to finish their life cycle and reproduce for our future fishing.

LUCKY
    a fishery, even a river one, when controlled properly is no different than a hunt. When managed properly i see no problem with opening runs up for limited fishing. I do however cringe when i see improper fish handling. Just like if i see a deer wounded, i cringe.

glad to see im not the only one pissy about improper fish handling

I don't think it was as bad as some of you might be thinking..........Perhaps edited in BAD TASTE, for that I apologize!
    I was just trying to show some excitement

-THERE WERE NO BARBES, checks were made at least once a day (the man obviously felt that a quick twist/jerk out aproach was best in his situation, I did not go ask!)
    -MOST fish were were never LANDED or TOUCHED, but released IN THE WATER Sometimes guys get excited when the KNOW they have a nice Silver on, and they back out, hopeing that will help.
    -Yes the dolly was Bonked, as soon as the bonker was in hand, as were all fish, I saw, that were kept.
    - I do not see a difference in catching a fish half way through its life, or at the end of its life.

RD
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

Rock doctor, it is a bit better knowing the fish were killed. It is my problem for assuming those fish were going to be released. That was bmy big concern cause the predicted mortality for those fish would proably be pretty high otherwise. I do appreciate your other offerings on the site.

Jonathan

I also fished the rivers for a couple of years and very much enjoyed it. Until one day I went and found many people fishing the river and landing the fish by dragging them up on the rocks, mishandling them, killing dark colored fish... Basically showing no respect.
    I now only fish Steelies in the river.

I personaly hope that one day the regs become no retention in the river. This will help to eliminate the meat fisherman and just leave the sport fisherman who generally practice better C/R techniques.

IMO the difference between catching a fish half way through it's life and at the end of it's life is half way through it's life and in the ocean they are much stronger and have a better chance of survival if returned to the salt water. Also the fish retained are good eating. The river fish start to detereorate once in the fresh water. Those big dark fish are certainly not quality eating.

This is just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone. Maybe I just have a real sour taste from that last outing I had on the river.

LUCKY
    Last edited by LUCKY; 10-26-2007 at 02:57 PM.