Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you pack around binos and spotting scopes on a hunt ?

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: How many of you pack around binos and spotting scopes on a hunt ?

I pack my Leica spotting scope 25-50x65 every where I go, I also have a 1.8x doubler so I can make 90X if needed, as other have said you don't use it all the time but man when you see a decent buck at 1000 yards and want to check it out its invaluable........

If I was you I would save for the next 9 months and buy a decent set of Binos then down the road replace the spotter, the scope you have has decent glass but is bigger and a touch bulky but it will serve you well for the time being.

Good luck in your choices
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I take both usually everytime unless I know I'm hunting timber. Spotting scope doesn't weigh alot and I usually have the tripod with bino adapter anyway.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Sounds like I should be packing both just in case. I think I’ll keep my spotter and upgrade bino and get the attachment for a tripod
    thanks to everyone
    Member of CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    I pack both. 8x binos, 15-45x65 spotter.
    I also rest my binos on my hiking stick when glassing.
    X2 on both, I use both usually, most of my spotting is with my Bino's 10x52 Minox, then with the spotter with a 15-45 vari. When you're hunting high elevation 4 pt. mulies you have be able to identify a deer as a 4 pt. sometimes at a great distance. The spotter can save a lot of unneeded steps on a pair of boots.

Unless I’m still hunting timber, I always have my spotter with me. From mule deer to goats it is a important piece of gear. I would buy the Razor binos, you’ll have them forever and won’t regret having the best glass vortex offers. You can always upgrade your spotter later.

Binos a lot. They are only 7 or 8 power, but they do pick up details as well as the what's that moving. Very very rarely the spotting scope. I can't climb mountains anymore or hunt sheep.

I used to sell very high quality binos from KOWA (Genesis Prominars) which IMO are equivalent to the best bino glass at any price. Millions of birders that swear by them are not wrong. I have a set of 8x44's however, I wish I had stayed with my Leica Geovids 10 power because I loved having the built in range finder which is not offered in the KOWA line up. https://www.peleewings.ca/inventory/...7&department=5

I'd suggest keeping your spotter for now, save up over the off season for a set of Geovids or other truly top-of-the-line brand rangefinding binoculars before next Sept hunting season. Again just my opinion but binoculars are more important than a spotter for most of the hunting most of us do day-in and day-out.

Then save up and buy the KOWA 770 spotter... EASILY the best spotter out there on a value of money basis... tremendous glass and construction. https://sportingoptics.kowa-usa.com/scopes/ and https://www.peleewings.ca/inventory/...2&department=6
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

If your not hunting in a style that requires a spotter ditch the weight as it is kinda pointless. Sure there might be a time you'd need a spotter in an unconventional way but thats what happens when you leave things behind. Invest in the best optics that suite your needs, doesn't make sense to have a nice spotter and shitty binos when you'll be using your binos everyday and your spotter once a season. When you do decide to do a goat hunt pick up the spotter then and don't cheap out, spotters are crazy important on a goat hunt.

Bino and spotter.. mandatory during 6 point elk season
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

I strap my bino's on when I head out and they stay on till I'm home for the night. Worried I'll lose them otherwise.

My spotter is a 85 mm so I never have it in my pack. I focus on blacktail though, so it's pretty thick with timber and bushes.
    When in doubt, just pin it.